Stone Glacier's Grumman Goose Down Jacket Review

MT_Wyatt

WKR
First impression of the Grumman down jacket is extremely light, warm and comfortable. The Pertex fabric is actually soft to the touch and not noisy; however, it does have much more shine then my Super down Pro. It does seem a hair warmer as I was wearing both jackets outside last night. I thought the hood didn't fit as well as the super down pro as the back draw cord ran across the ears and was kinda annoying. I move the cord above and below my ears which felt a little better, but still didn't seem right.

I think the main thing to consider when comparing these two jacekts is the Grumman is a no frills jacket meant to keep you warm while being extremely light. The Superdown pro is feature rich with adjustable waist, wrist and hood. Has chest zip pocket and pit zips. Now one could agrue you don't need that on a puffy jacket. Also the Superdown Pro has 30D face fabric and it was significantly thicker. Only time will tell how well the 15D pertex fabric holds up to how its advertised.

One thing to note, I have a 42" chest and have both jackets in Large and the Superdown Pro feels a little more comfy in the arm pit and chest area as it seems to be cut with a bit more room.

I have the same thoughts on the hood, it’s only comfortable with hats on for me. I’d really like to hear the thoughts behind why it was designed that way.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I am still looking for "THE" puffy for 90% of my hunting. I just ordered this one. I will post up my thoughts when I get some miles on it. Oh, and don't till Tanya you about this post. She's about ready to make me sleep outside with my other puffy's:)
Here's another one for you to google. Rab Microlight Summit. 5oz of 750 treated down, Pertex Quantum Infinity Weave fabric. The baffles aren't stitched through or boxed, they are woven directly into the fabric. Essentially the same fabric as the SG jacket but only stitching is where the arms and whatnot are connected to the jacket. Also, what's your thoughts on the Ghar jacket from Kryptek?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I read somewhere about issues with that infinity weave? Can’t find it now of course.

If the Ghar had a hood it would be be damn near perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I read somewhere about issues with that infinity weave? Can’t find it now of course.

If the Ghar had a hood it would be be damn near perfect.

I too wish it had a hood, I like the specs, may pick one up anyways. For science.

I hadn't seen anything bad on that infinity weave, let me know if you find it. Without stitch holes it should be windproof for the most part.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've had two down jackets wet out on me. Both the same way on a hunt I do multiple times every year with a big climb through brush in the dark. I had on a base layer and a fleece layer a Sitka Core heavyweight hoody the next time a First lite Klamath hoody. Both times I hiked in a downpour before daylight. It was too hot to put on a puffy or a shell. The fleece was totally saturated with water. When daylight came I started hunting and put on the puffy and a shell moving slower I was cooling down. But I was still moving. Heating up quickly and feeling better I kept hunting. Around noon with the day warming up I took off my layers and noticed the down jacket a OR Transcendent Down jacket was damn near flat, no loft. No being the smartest person last year I did the same thing with the Kuiu super down ultra. While the down was not totally saturated the insulation was definitely comprised. My guess is my body heat forced the moisture through the jacket. My next trip in I just wore my light baselayer and a very lightweight shell with pit zips. Worked much better but I will rip this shell within a few trips. I not trying to knock down at all or prove a point. I have never had down fail on me outside of these two times and It will still be my first choice even though I do most of my hunting in a very wet environment. But this scenario is probably one of the worst ways to use a down jacket. An educated person would use synthetic insulation:)

Ryan,

This exact scenario is why i'm considering selling my super down pro and going back to FL uncompagahre. How do you like the FL puffy?

Interested in this as well. Was planning on getting an uncompahgre but looking hard at the stone glacier as well. But for double the cost, am I getting significantly more warmth or am I just getting the ~5 oz weight savings and an increase in packability?

Can anyone comment on the fit of the SG? Is it true to size? I unfortunately always fall in between a Medium and Large @ 5’11 #175 so it really depends on the specific jacket as to which one fits me better.

Kotaman

WKR
Can anyone comment on the fit of the SG? Is it true to size? I unfortunately always fall in between a Medium and Large @ 5’11 #175 so it really depends on the specific jacket as to which one fits me better.

I tried it on and would call it an "athletic" fit. I would guess a large would fit you better...

OP
1shotgear

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

I would go with the Large. You can always exchange it for free through us if you end up needing the Medium.

Still curious if anyone that’s tried both could compare the uncompahgre to the Grumman (understanding it’s a bit of apples and oranges).

I’m currently running a fl cirrus and uncompahgre vest combo and used these along with a rain shell duck hunting in kodiak this year. However since both are camo, I’d like to get a solid color to run around town but also use for hunting when the cirrus/vest combo isn’t warm enough. I’ve pretty much narrowed my choices down to the uncompahgre (which has a better price point) or the Grumman (though the Rab puffy mentioned above is intriguing as well as it seems they can be had around 200 with only a 4 oz penalty over the SG). I’ve never owned a down jacket but understand the theoretical differences between down and synthetic so I’d be curious if anyone could provide a real world comparison of the FL and SG

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Still curious if anyone that’s tried both could compare the uncompahgre to the Grumman (understanding it’s a bit of apples and oranges).

I’m currently running a fl cirrus and uncompahgre vest combo and used these along with a rain shell duck hunting in kodiak this year. However since both are camo, I’d like to get a solid color to run around town but also use for hunting when the cirrus/vest combo isn’t warm enough. I’ve pretty much narrowed my choices down to the uncompahgre (which has a better price point) or the Grumman (though the Rab puffy mentioned above is intriguing as well as it seems they can be had around 200 with only a 4 oz penalty over the SG). I’ve never owned a down jacket but understand the theoretical differences between down and synthetic so I’d be curious if anyone could provide a real world comparison of the FL and SG

The two biggest differences to me is how much I would be backpacking with the jacket and how wet it is where I plan to hunt. The warmth is very close with these jackets. Down is not something I would hike in even when its cold. It doesn’t breath and the moisture you build up will be pushed into the down. Don’t be fooled into thinking hydrophobic down cant go flat on you. That said I use down for 70% of my hunts till it’s cold enough that I wear a puffy all the time then its synthetic.

The Uncompahgre is quieter and will be more durable for daily use. But the SG will be lighter and look better. Good Luck!

Thanks Ryan, much appreciated. I tend to sweat a lot when I hike so I don’t see myself hiking in a puffy much if ever, even in very cold temps.

I do worry about wetting out down from the inside similar to what you experienced (albeit with rain) if I throw it on over a sweat soaked shirt. That’s why I’m leaning towards the uncompahgre. I’m thinking that while it won’t be the lightest setup, the uncompahgre jacket + vest combo will work well into some pretty cold temps with a couple merino base layers as well.

I just went back to the uncompahgre for the reasons stated above. I still will use a down puffy but on a 7 day backpack hunt I like the peace of mind using a synthetic puffy.

Mitten32

WKR
I am still looking for "THE" puffy for 90% of my hunting. I just ordered this one. I will post up my thoughts when I get some miles on it. Oh, and don't till Tanya you about this post. She's about ready to make me sleep outside with my other puffy's:)

Any update in regards to fit, warmth, durability, etc after a couple months of use?

K_pem

WKR
So I wear a M in all FL gear, a L in most KUIU gear and either a L or XL in Sitka gear. I’m a very athletic build 180lbs 5’9” with broad shoulders and big arms. Should I be going L or XL with the SG to give me a good fit for around town but enough room for some layering?

ChrisAU

WKR
So I wear a M in all FL gear, a L in most KUIU gear and either a L or XL in Sitka gear. I’m a very athletic build 180lbs 5’9” with broad shoulders and big arms. Should I be going L or XL with the SG to give me a good fit for around town but enough room for some layering?

I'd think you'd be fine with a L. I'm 5'10" 205 and the XL is just right for me.