Stone Glacier's Grumman Goose Down Jacket Review

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I am not gonna lie i'm pretty impressed with this Pertex fabric for how thin and light it is. I did a water test last night and just rain my sink faucet over the face fabric and I even let water just sit on the jacket and it never soaked through. Now I only let it sit there for maybe a minute but the point is the DWR and water resistance of the Pertex is the best ive seen at that fabric weight. I am now convinced that the puffy would not wet out in a light rain or at least give you time to seek shelter or get your rain jacket on. This Grumman is really starting to make me happy.

I am surprised how well it seals up, mine has several holes and they do seem to shrink up.
9245ef42cb85661bbd566683d940f1af.jpg

I should have a Grumman next week. That SKRE is a nice jacket. I am always looking for lighter and warmer:) I can definitely compare them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am torn between the Ptarmigan and the Grumman. Wanted to circle back and see your thoughts on warmth and wind resistance between these two. Who is the winner?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I am torn between the Ptarmigan and the Grumman. Wanted to circle back and see your thoughts on warmth and wind resistance between these two. Who is the winner?

They are basically equal in those two areas. But you also have to factor in weight, the Ptarmigan is 16.5oz my Grumman is 12.8oz. So the Grumman is warmer at less weight.

There is one thing I don't like in hooded down jackets, I am sure there is a technical name for it. But I like how the Grumman zips up to your mouth. The Ptarmigan stops at your neck. It makes the Grumman feel warmer to me.

3d06d74bc7c3c413f0c62275e4b256e9.jpg

4aff0407cc3a2d1bd3da9216d29025e3.jpg

They are basically equal in those two areas. But you also have to factor in weight, the Ptarmigan is 16.5oz my Grumman is 12.8oz. So the Grumman is warmer at less weight.

There is one thing I don't like in hooded down jackets, I am sure there is a technical name for it. But I like how the Grumman zips up to your mouth. The Ptarmigan stops at your neck. It makes the Grumman feel warmer to me.

3d06d74bc7c3c413f0c62275e4b256e9.jpg

4aff0407cc3a2d1bd3da9216d29025e3.jpg

Very helpful! Thank you!

I would choose a synthetic jacket with Climasheild over a jacket with Primaloft if I was keeping it long term. Climasheld seems to last forever. Primaloft seems to lose loft after a few years. They are very similar in warmth but you will see most jackets with Primaloft have baffles which compress the insulation making it less effective.

Ryan, where do you put the First Lite synthetic insulation compared to the other two?

35c1ab991dfdafda949e2f030aba531b.jpg

Think this burn hole will seal up??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a similar run in with a stove wearing a montbell puffy. Hole was too big for tenacious tape so I stuffed what down I could back in, stuffed some toilet paper in to keep it all in line, and then duct taped it till I got back. Montbell made it like it never happened at no charge.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Green with brown sleeves?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
1shotgear

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I had a similar run in with a stove wearing a montbell puffy. Hole was too big for tenacious tape so I stuffed what down I could back in, stuffed some toilet paper in to keep it all in line, and then duct taped it till I got back. Montbell made it like it never happened at no charge.
Had a similar field problem years ago and had to wear my jacket inside out and once you go it zipped up it worked really good. Wear the jacket for another two days in the field.