Stone Glacier's Grumman Goose Down Jacket Review

Yes! Had this happen with an Outdoor Research puffy and a Kuiu Super Down Ultra jacket. I don’t give a shit what they tell you any down can go flat on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan, I know you you have stated you still use down for a good percentage of your hunts. My questions is what would you personally bring on a 7 day backpack hunt say in Colorado. Would you bring down or synthetic?

sneaky

"DADDY"
So Ryan, gun to your head if you could only have one down puffy for both hunting and everyday wear, which one are you going with based on your experience at this point? SG, Kuiu or something else?
You left out the Ghar from your list. He's like me, if they put a hood on it it would be money. Kryptek can try to convince us that they don't want a hood on every layer because you have too many hoods blah blah blah, but 90% of the time I'm wearing my puffy while glassing and don't put a shell on to have a hood. Their argument is invalid.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thats why I left it off - 1) lack of hood and 2) given that the new gen only comes in camo so I wasn't considering that great for everyday wear

You left out the Ghar from your list. He's like me, if they put a hood on it it would be money. Kryptek can try to convince us that they don't want a hood on every layer because you have too many hoods blah blah blah, but 90% of the time I'm wearing my puffy while glassing and don't put a shell on to have a hood. Their argument is invalid.

Colorado is perfect for down.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Yes, I agree, but I guess i'm coming from the standpoint of have one do it all jacket for hunting and everyday wear.

Here's my scenarios, again this is for backpack hunting so weight does come into play:

1. Currently trying out the SG grumman and I use a fleece mid layer. Now on the rare times when soaking wet and its cold, putting on the down jacket isn't the best of ideas, so I would only have my fleece layer to get warm until I dry out. (Of course i'm implying that you are not close to your sleeping bag)

2. Just use a synthetic hooded jacket like a Sitka Kelvin down or Kifaru LPP. This solves the getting wet issue, but also weights 23 - 25 oz. I'm almost at the point that what does another pound really matter when it comes to comfort.

3. Or keep down jacket and ditch fleece mid layer and get the Sitka Kelvin Active hoody or jacket. Both kelvin actives are lighter then the fleece layer and provide much more warmth. So, in the event you get really wet and cold you can through on the Kelvin active synthetic and still have the luxury of down when glassing or around camp. This system actually weights less which is a bonus.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
If we are only sticking to the ones mentioned I would take the Grumman.

The Ghar would be the easy choice if it had a hood.

And to clutter it up even more. If weight is not a factor and you want a better price. The Skre might be a tad warmer and cheaper and more durable.... Good luck:)

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Ryan, I know you you have stated you still use down for a good percentage of your hunts. My questions is what would you personally bring on a 7 day backpack hunt say in Colorado. Would you bring down or synthetic?

Down... Colorado doesn't know what wet weather is:)

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
60ffa7c3481e0babd668f6bf9b3f8b13.jpg

The Ghar needs a HOOD! @C.Ryan

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The gen1 is better too. Nylon instead of poly face.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sorry to hijack this thread but I think I’m gonna give the ghar a shot. How’s the sizing? I’m 6’ 175 should I go with a large?
I'm 6'3" 210 and I have a large. You should be fine

sneaky

"DADDY"
I wanted it not to be baggy so it will fit under a shell easier, a medium might be too short in the arms for you. The large should be just fine.

Got my SG Grumman jacket this week. I’m 6’1” and 195 with long arms. I went with a large and it fits perfectly. It’s loose enough for layers, but snug enough to fit under a shell, and the sleeve length is perfect.

Very impressed with the quality of the jacket. The color looks much better in person than online, too.

Has anyone tried the new Sitka Kelvin Hoody? It has 133gr of synthetic insulation, weighs 23oz, and had 27D fabric. I guess I’m starting to lean towards if it’s as warm as say the SG Grumman why not run that. For 11oz weight penalty you have more durable, warm when wet, and ability to to bake base layer dry.