Stone Glacier’s New Chilkoot 15F Sleeping Bag test

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
yeah funny huh? I mean they basically say the final product is going to be different than this one. Sorry if I offended you guys by not worshipping the review.

Hey bud, I don’t expect you to worship the review by any means. But I’m still not sure that you’ve read it. I said in the beginning that I tested the prototype, and then I went back and tested the production bag under nearly the same parameters with the weather given.

You’re exactly right, had I only tested the prototype, that wouldn’t be a very complete review. But I did test a production bag in the end, that’s what everybody’s trying to get at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
Imo, even if the consumer product hadn't yet been tested. I personally appreciated the prototype testing, simply because it gives me a pretty good idea of what's coming down the pipe. And in the end I know that it was tested as a prototype and if nesacary, changes were made to produce a better final.
It may be a pleasure to test new products for companies but it also takes time and effort. Plus the potential to freeze your ass off in this case. Thanks for the thorough review Robby.... of both the proto, and consumer model

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Imo, even if the consumer product hadn't yet been tested. I personally appreciated the prototype testing, simply because it gives me a pretty good idea of what's coming down the pipe. And in the end I know that it was tested as a prototype and if nesacary, changes were made to produce a better final.
It may be a pleasure to test new products for companies but it also takes time and effort. Plus the potential to freeze your ass off in this case. Thanks for the thorough review Robby.... of both the proto, and consumer model

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You’re welcome man, and I can say this that any reputable company that sends us a prototype to test, as they sometimes do, will fully disclose any changes to the final production product, if indeed there are any.

For us to put out timely reviews so people are able to shop for something, often means we have to test Proto types.

Inall all the years of running this place, I’ve never really seen a difference between a prototype and a production in the reviews that we’ve done. I’m sure they’re out there, but there hasn’t been a lot in our world.

alpinej7

Lil-Rokslider
Excellent write up and gear test w/ real conditions. I bought the sky 5900 (and accessories) last year from SG and have been very pleased with the gear and their customer service. This bag looks like it would be a great addition to my gear stash. Thanks for the review.

Magnett

FNG
HI Robbie,
I have heard that some of the new waterproof down garments don't breathe. Did you find any evidence of low breathability with this bag?

Great review. I am thankful that you did the prototype. Usually those are close to final production and if a guy is on the fence it sure gives him/her an idea. I have bought prototypes before just based off these types of reviews. Thanks Robby.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
HI Robbie,
I have heard that some of the new waterproof down garments don't breathe. Did you find any evidence of low breathability with this bag?

I did overheat on those warm nights but not because of breathability.

I think it’s fine in that department

sneaky

"DADDY"
I heard back from SG on what pintucked means (it's more for durability, but see next post for some water resistance engineering design stuff they sent):

"Pin-tucked seams refers to the sewing method in the construction of the baffles. Essentially what happens is at each baffle seam the shell material is folded and tucked in, then sewn so the thread is hidden in the tuck. This protects the thread from exposure and abrasion on the surface of the sleeping bag. You will notice on traditional sleeping bags you can see the thread from the baffle seams exposed on the outside of the bag. The concern there is that over time abrasion from laying on the ground may degrade those threads thus causing a baffle to seam to fail resulting in down migrating through the bag unevenly."

I'm surprised they don't use the same system that Rab uses in their Microlight Summit jacket. It uses a Pertex shell also, but the baffles are woven into the fabric during manufacturing. There is no stitching at all on the baffles. Makes it pretty much windproof as well. That Pertex Infinity Weave may be exclusive to them. I noticed the Grumman jacket doesn't use that particular version of Pertex either. Seems like a pretty solid bag, good news is it's warming up and you won't need a 15 degree bag pretty soon lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robbie. Awesome review! I hope you know that you just set a very high bar for every other sleeping bag review in the future. Well done sir.

Hey thanks man! Even though it wasn’t intentional!

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I started to read it, when I realized it was a review about a product that wasnt finalized I decided to wait. Sorry for having a different opinion than you.

I had the chance to test out the Chilkoot 0° Sleeping Bag recently as well, and it was the final product that we have in stock now. I thought it handled the cold like a champ sleeping in several feet of snow with no shelter over night in the Rocky Mountains. The temperature was less than 10° and I stayed comfortably warm through the night and morning. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I had the chance to test out the Chilkoot 0° Sleeping Bag recently as well, and it was the final product that we have in stock now. I thought it handled the cold like a champ sleeping in several feet of snow with no shelter over night in the Rocky Mountains. The temperature was less than 10° and I stayed comfortably warm through the night and morning. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

great to hear Scott.

Swung into the SG store on Friday to fondle some gear and ended up with a pack.

I’ll say, I was very impressed with the chilkoot. Very nicely featured and spec’d bag. Their new clothing line was nice as well. They have some very well thought out designs across their product lines.

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Swung into the SG store on Friday to fondle some gear and ended up with a pack.

I’ll say, I was very impressed with the chilkoot. Very nicely featured and spec’d bag. Their new clothing line was nice as well. They have some very well though out designs across their products.

Good to hear. I’d love to check out their store.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Good to hear. I’d love to check out their store.

You should just swing over to Mountain Archery in Rexburg. They carry all the SG gear. Unless you want an excuse to drive up to Bozeangeles

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
You should just swing over to Mountain Archery in Rexburg. They carry all the SG gear. Unless you want an excuse to drive up to Bozeangeles

I didn’t know that. Good to hear. Although Bozeman is more fun

worx53

WKR
Does anyone have a direct comparison on size to a WM Alpinlite? In emails with SG I get a pretty general sizing answer( which by their answer is smaller than an Alpinlite) but reviewers keep commenting on how much room it has as though its quite large. Looking for a bag with a larger fit than the Alpinlite

It's been awhile since I tried out an Alpinlite in a store but I'm pretty positive the Chilkoot 15 has alot more room than an Alpinlite. I was worried they made the Chilkoot too small but when I tried it out in our local archery shop I was very surprised how roomy it was while not feeling like I had a bunch of empty space either.