Stone sheep along the cassiar highway?

ScottP

WKR
I'm driving up the cassiar highway in late June, first time. Is there any where along there I'd have a shot at seeing a stone sheep. Minor detour or some hiking is possible, but I'll have my 6 yr old along. Thought it was worth asking on here, in case there's somewhere I can pull over for a camp and do some glassing.

Thanks.

Decker9

WKR
People have seen sheep around good hope. The tailings at the old mine would be a good place for photos. I think you’ll need to ask for access from what I understand at the gate. That whole Cassiar road is pretty cool to look at, their are sheep but pretty far and few between from the Hwy. Well worth the look anyway!!

OP
ScottP

ScottP

WKR
People have seen sheep around good hope. The tailings at the old mine would be a good place for photos. I think you’ll need to ask for access from what I understand at the gate. That whole Cassiar road is pretty cool to look at, their are sheep but pretty far and few between from the Hwy. Well worth the look anyway!!
thanks! appreciate the pointer. I'll see what I can find out about that locale. We're spending a few nights camping on the Cassiar, so we will have time to stop and check stuff out.

tuffcity

WKR
You'll probably see more bears than sheep on the Cassiar- sighting are pretty few and far between. But you might get lucky. :)

Boya Lake campground is a nice stop just north of Dease Lake. Also remember that you'll have no fuel stops between Dease Lake and the Junction of the Cassiar and the Alaska Hwy... or cell service from Kitwanga to the Junction.

OP
ScottP

ScottP

WKR
You'll probably see more bears than sheep on the Cassiar- sighting are pretty few and far between. But you might get lucky. :)

Boya Lake campground is a nice stop just north of Dease Lake. Also remember that you'll have no fuel stops between Dease Lake and the Junction of the Cassiar and the Alaska Hwy... or cell service from Kitwanga to the Junction.
Thanks. Fuel and phone issues noted! I have already reserved a spot at Boya and Mezidian lake.

tuffcity

WKR
If you're doing an up and back trip consider going the Alaska Hwy (Alcan) on the way back, couple of hours longer but different scenery and probably see more animals.

OP
ScottP

ScottP

WKR
If you're doing an up and back trip consider going the Alaska Hwy (Alcan) on the way back, couple of hours longer but different scenery and probably see more animals.
Not this time, moving to Alaska. I had a hell of a time deciding on which route to take. Going up through Jasper, then on to Prince George and the Cassiar. If I ever drive back down I’ll try the alcan

C.payne

WKR
Jasper is a beautiful drive as well. You have a really good chance of seeing Bighorns right on the side of the highway. Lots of times they are in the middle of the road licking salt from the cracks. Lots of Elk sighting possibilities as well.
Have a great drive, hope the weather and hospitality is good along the way.

I'll be headed up to Alaska through jasper come Mid August. It will be my first time driving up there amd really looking forward to the trip.

Rackmastr

WKR
You should see bighorns through the park if you spend some time around Jasper. For Stones on the cassiar, you can often glass them from various spots but they arent as close to the road as they are on the AK Hwy around Toad River/Muncho lake.

Glassing them around Tatogga/Iskut is a decent spot. Lots of goats around too. You'll see a crap ton of bears along that route as well too.

ljalberta

WKR
You should see bighorns through the park if you spend some time around Jasper. For Stones on the cassiar, you can often glass them from various spots but they arent as close to the road as they are on the AK Hwy around Toad River/Muncho lake.

Glassing them around Tatogga/Iskut is a decent spot. Lots of goats around too. You'll see a crap ton of bears along that route as well too.
If you’re driving through Jasper and don’t see any bighorns on the side of the road, you can stop and do the short walk at Old Fort Point and there are often bighorns to be seen. You can walk to the top in about 10 or so minutes, or do a full 45ish minute loop to stretch your legs.

dallen

Lil-Rokslider
I'm driving up the cassiar highway in late June, first time. Is there any where along there I'd have a shot at seeing a stone sheep. Minor detour or some hiking is possible, but I'll have my 6 yr old along. Thought it was worth asking on here, in case there's somewhere I can pull over for a camp and do some glassing.

Thanks.
Another vote for Stone Mountain provincial park. I've seen them there almost every time I pass through. You might see them around Toad river or even the south end of Kluane

OP
ScottP

ScottP

WKR
Another vote for Stone Mountain provincial park. I've seen them there almost every time I pass through. You might see them around Toad river or even the south end of Kluane
I’ll keep those in mind if I ever make the drive back down. Going up this time on the cassiar.

bcnorth

FNG
Just south of Tatogga about 2km + or - 1km, glass to the East. If you have an hour and in decent shape there is a very nice well beaten trail heading straight up the mountain. This is about 1km or a bit more south of Tatogga lodge. Climb the first rolling hill when u hit the alpine and glass from there. Odds are u will find at least ewes and lambs

Just south of Tatogga about 2km + or - 1km, glass to the East. If you have an hour and in decent shape there is a very nice well beaten trail heading straight up the mountain. This is about 1km or a bit more south of Tatogga lodge. Climb the first rolling hill when u hit the alpine and glass from there. Odds are u will find at least ewes and lambs
See post #6 lol