Stone Sheep hunt/outfitter info?

My dad and I are planning a stone sheep hunt for 2016. I've been researching and talking with a ton of different outfitters. I have my short list as follows and in this order as of right now

Stone Mountain Safaris

Scoop Lake Outfitters

Collingwood Bros

Simpson Stone Sheep

Cassiar Stone Outfitters

If anyone has any info on any of these outfitters good, bad or indifferent, I'd appreciate it! Any other recommendations please send them my way:)
Thanks in advance!

Kotaman

WKR
All of your choices are solid. I think you would have a great hunt with any of them. Continue to do your research, call some references and book with the one that feels right. I ended up booking my Stone for 2015 with Yukon Big Game Outfitters in the Yukon. If money is no object, I would book without hesitation, Big 9 Outfitters (Barry Tomkins). They seem to continually get it done with monster Stones. I was on three sheep hunts last year. On each hunt I asked my guide who he would hunt Stones with if money was no object and I got the same answer all three times...Big 9. To me that speaks volumes.

goatboy

Lil-Rokslider
I cant speak for the outfitters themselves but as far as area and sheep numbers go all will be good. Big 9, Golden Bear and Prophet Muskwa should be on your list as well.

All reputable Outfitters for sure. I guided for Leif and Kellie at SMS and will vouch that they run a good outfit and probably would be one of my top choices. Their horses were very good and not just a bunch of crap like a few guys i've worked for have ran. They have good gear and get the guys what they need. They have hot showers in pretty well each camp. Some of the areas do get some resident pressure but they still run close to 100% on harvests and have a good age quality of rams.
I threw up a few on my pics from SMS that show their operation a little.
DSCF0688-1.jpg

DSCF0758-1.jpg

DSCF0634.jpg

DSCF0648.jpg

DSCF0701.jpg

DSCF0644.jpg

DSCF1359.jpg

DSCF0832.jpg

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
I personally hunted with Stone Mountain in 2006 when Leif and Kellie were just taking over from Dave Weins. First rate outfit. No experience with any of the others, but a lot of good outfitter names being floated. Depending on whether you are particular about color or size might dictate a little about where to go. You may also want to find out about access by residents and whether there is any mining or oil and gas activity going on. Find out about guide experience and let the outfitter know whether you have any special requirements or limitations. All important to a successful experience in my mind. Time of year will impact the weather. The later you go, the better chance with a ram with great hair, but more risk of bad weather.

This is my Stone taken at Stone Mountain Safaris with Terry Stone as my guide.

Attachments

• BC Stone sheep.jpg
    BC Stone sheep.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 152
OP
Elkmasterwyo
Thanks for all the input guys and I'll definitely follow up on the leads to other outfitters as well! My dad and I both agree that dark color rams is what's most important as far as the sheep goes, with size being secondary, a "nice", dark ram rather than a "big" light ram. A big dark ram would be a bonus. It'll probably be the only stone hunt I'll ever be able to afford, so coming home with a ram would be great. I have a few friends that have hunted with SMS and have excellent things to say about them, also have talked with Leif and seems like an all around good guy! Keep the recommendations coming guys, thanks so far!

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
The dark Stones have historically been more prevalant in and around Stone Mountain Safaris. Tuchodi River, Gundahoo, Prophet Muskwa, Folding Mountain , to name a few of the outfitters that may offer a chance at a dark Stone. I may be wrong, but I believe that the later hunts may give you a better chance at the dark ones also.

bigfish b.c

Lil-Rokslider
your top 2 are definitely 2 of the best areas in the province for rams & big ones too,i have worked for & known Darwin & Wendy scoop lk outfitters for 10 + years great people & a very good run operation.collingwoods run a good outfit too & take some very nice rams too but usually not as big a average as stone mtn & scoop lk.just shoot me a pm if you want more info on scoop lk.

bigfish b.c

Lil-Rokslider
The dark Stones have historically been more prevalant in and around Stone Mountain Safaris. Tuchodi River, Gundahoo, Prophet Muskwa, Folding Mountain , to name a few of the outfitters that may offer a chance at a dark Stone. I may be wrong, but I believe that the later hunts may give you a better chance at the dark ones also.

yes they tend to get darker as there hair gets longer,but i have hunted every zone in b.c for stone sheep & all have dark rams,another thing to consider is some areas have better weather than others so on a 14day hunt you may lose a bunch of days to weather in the western zones.

Tilzbow

WKR
I booked my hunt this year with Tuchodi. Stone Mountain was in my top four. I'm bowhunting and Tuchodi's success with archers and their willingness to take bowhunters along with darker rams being available are what did it for me. Plus they provide real food on their hunts! If you search Rokslide there's a thread in which Bryan Martin gives a great run down on different areas. I'll try to find it.

Last edited:

Tilzbow

WKR
Here's the post from Bryan Martin I was referring to:

There are many good places and good outfitters to hunt Stones with, in BC and the Yukon. The most important is the area and the 2nd most important is the quality of the guide. I outfitted Stones for over 10 years in the Cassiar Mtns of N. BC. We had a good area, but not fabulous. We were successful because we had great hunters and young/tough guides and no resident hunting pressure. We offered very few horseback hunts due to the remote and rough country. Most Stone outfitters are horseback oriented. A few offer backpack hunts. Some areas have little resident pressure and others have lots. I'd recommend booking a hunt with an outfitter you can relate too and one that has a hunting style compatible with your own. Most outfits don't take archery hunters, but some will. If you don't like horses, don't book a hunt with horseback oriented outfitters. Horses are necessary in many areas though due to the lack of lakes and airstrips. One of my favorite ways to hunt is to get to the hunting area with horses and then go hunting with backpack, while a wrangler looks after the horses. The biggest challenges with horseback hunting is that oftentimes, the hunters are not glassing at first or last light, because they have to ride during these times, to/from camp.

The biggest and darkest colored rams, in general, come from the East Slope of the Rocky Mountains in BC. These are the Halfway, Sikanni, Besa, Prophet, Muskwa, Tuchodi, Toad, Liard, Denetiah, Kechika and Turnagain River areas. The most well known areas are: Sikanni River Outfitters (Mike Hammett), Prophet Muskwa Outfitters (Olmstead), Big Nine/High and Wild (Thompkins), Tuchodi River Outfitters (Larry Warren), Stone Mountain (Leif Olsen), Folding/Terminus Outfitters (Drinkall), Muncho Lake Outfitters (Art Thompson) and Scoop Lake (Darwin Cary). The Cassiars, are located between the Coastal and Rocky Mountains and make up the North Central part of BC and in general also have dark rams, typically with smaller bases. These drainages would include the Stikine, Spatsizi, Dease, Upper Turnagain, Sheslay, Jennings River, Major Hart, Cassiar, Dall. The Major outfitters there are Spatsizi (Collingwoods), Upper Stikine (Now, North River Stone, Ron and Maria Nemetchek), Bradford and Company, BC Safaris (Keith Connors and Shane Black), Simpson Stone Sheep, Kinaskan Lake Outfitters (Creyke - this is the area with one archery only area - Todagin Mountain), Tahltan Outfitters (Jim Peterson and Carmen Nyuli), Golden Bear (Greg Williams), NW Ranching and Outfitting (Heidi Gutfrucht), McCowan's Sporting Adventures (Harry McCowan), Cassiar Stone Outfitters (Mike Kabanak), Kawdy Outfitting (Lancasters), The NW part of BC is where the Stones are a bit lighter, more like a Fannin. These areas would be Taku Safaris, Indian River Ranch and Jennings River Outfitters and they are located East of Atlin and near the Yukon. West of Atlin, tucked up against the Yukon border, the Sheep become true Dalls. The two Dall areas in BC are Moon Lake (Shane Buchanan) and Northwest Big Game Outfitters (Jack Goodwin). There are a couple other outfitters with stone sheep having only a couple tags, that I did not mention. Some of these area can be great; others are hit and miss.

In the Yukon, the Cassiar Mtns and the Pelly Mtns contain most of the Stone Sheep. These hunting areas would be Yukon Stone, Dueling Stone, Trophy Stone, Teslin River and MacMillan River. Some of the sheep in these area are also more like Fannin Sheep. The North West part of the YK has most of the lighter Fannins. These areas would be Reynold's Outfitting, Blackstone, Jensen Outfitters, Midnight Sun. Still, a lot of the sheep in these areas are pure Dalls too.

The most archery friendly areas/outfitters are Big Nine/High and Wild (Thompkins), Kinaskan Lake (Creyke), Yukon Stone (Russ Geisbrecht). There are other areas that have taken bowhunters, but in small numbers. The key for a bowhunter is good sheep densities and a willing and patient guide.

I didn't go out on a limb and say which outfitter is the "best" as each area/outfitter has its own strengths and weaknesses. It is really important that a hunter pick an outfitter's hunting style they'll be happy with. Patience is very important for stone sheep hunting. Make sure you and your guide are able to glass either in the early morning or evenings, as many stone sheep will live/sleep in the brush, making them very difficult to spot during the day. When asking for references, make sure to call hunters that have some experience under their belt and also from a hunter(s) that was unsuccessful.

I hope this information helps. There are lots of options out there for sure. Stone Sheep is probably my favorite all around animal to hunt. It is not overly difficult to shoot a ram; it is difficult to find a really big one. Good luck in your research.
Bryan

Tilzbow

WKR
Below is a link to the thread.

I spent at least an hour talking to each of about 10 outfitters during SCI and WSF which were both in Reno in 2013, called all the references I could, did lots of research, talked to everyone I trust who might have info and then let my gut feel take over for there. I'll have a report in six short months!

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/show...ace-to-hunt-true-Stones&highlight=Stone+sheep

flyingbrass

Lil-Rokslider

I hunted with Tuchodi River in 2010. Great hunt, great outfitter, great guide, great food, great trophies! No risks on this hunt. I spent 16 days there and couldn't find anything wrong, even to nit pick, nothing! Go with Tuchodi!

All of your choices are solid. I think you would have a great hunt with any of them. Continue to do your research, call some references and book with the one that feels right. I ended up booking my Stone for 2015 with Yukon Big Game Outfitters in the Yukon. If money is no object, I would book without hesitation, Big 9 Outfitters (Barry Tomkins). They seem to continually get it done with monster Stones. I was on three sheep hunts last year. On each hunt I asked my guide who he would hunt Stones with if money was no object and I got the same answer all three times...Big 9. To me that speaks volumes.
I'm a new Rokslide member and I don't have enough posts to post a private message. Im hunting for Stone sheep with Yukon Big Game Outfitters this August. I was wondering if you could share your experience with me about your hunt? I'd really appreciate any advice or information that might help prepare me for my hunt. Thanks!

Ed

Kotaman

WKR
This old thread has been revived! Since my post in 2014, I’ve had the opportunity to hunt Stone sheep twice, and will be hunting them again (Fannin) this fall.

My first hunt with YBGO in 2014 was a bit of a bust. YBGO has actually killed a few nice rams since I was there, but I had a tough hunt for sure.

I had a FANTASTIC hunt last fall with Stone Mountain Safaris. Lots of sheep and killed an old 12.5 year old warrior on day 6 of the hunt. Leif and Kellie are great hosts.

This fall I will be hunting Fannins back in the Yukon, this time with Tombstone Outfitters. I had a wonderful Caribou and Moose Hunt with Tombstone last fall.

If I was going to hunt a Stone hunt today, I would certainly consider Stone Mountain again and add Prophet Muskwa to the list.

Did the OP ever go on his Stone hunt?