Stone Sheep hunt questions

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
So, I'm getting to the point where I want to book a stone sheep hunt. My wife said it is something I should really consider booking this spring (sure it will be a few years out) and I'm excited about the journey......sort of. I went to the BC outfitters association page and looked at every "licensed" outfitter for stone sheep. There are more than a few outfitters and quite a few look like they don't really focus on sheep. I want a outfit that really focuses on sheep. I'm not scared of doing some research but I'm looking for a list of questions to ask the outfitters. It's almost like not knowing what you don't know. Not even sure what questions to ask about a stone sheep hunt. I've seen some posters that say some outfitters will let you hunt until you kill. Some have better genetics. Horses....do all outfitters use horses? Quota's. Not even sure what that really means in regards to stone sheep. Sheep densities.

So my question. Can you more experienced guys give me some questions to ask a potential stone sheep outfitter? Is there a member or two on this site or another place where I can get some really good advice?

So I begin the process!!!!!!!

Thanks,

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
Check out Dustin Roe with backcountry bc and beyond. I did a lot of research and felt comfortable with him. Have a hunt booked next year. He is very well respected. There are quite a few good ones. I think you get what you pay for but its still hunting at the end of the day.

Old and gray

Lil-Rokslider
With stone sheep hunt prices being what they are I’m not seeing an outfitter not focusing on them.

I live up in northern B.C. so I have no experience with the guides here but I have heard good things about the Dustin roe fella.

With a handle like recurveman do you plan to bowhunt or rifle? If archery is your goal you need to be more picky when spending that kind of money.

Dustin Roe may be a great guide and operation but his sheep area is not the best. If bowhunting Kinaskin Lake with Jerry Creyke has the exclusive archery area and higher sheep densities, though organizational skills of native guides may be lacking. Yukon stone with Aaron Florian may get you the chance at a truly big ram. Big Nine may have one of the best sheep areas and most dedicated die hard owners (that may rub some the wrong way) but the price will reflect that, though they are one of the few with a money back guarantee or opportunity to come back.

K-guns56

FNG
So, I'm getting to the point where I want to book a stone sheep hunt. My wife said it is something I should really consider booking this spring (sure it will be a few years out) and I'm excited about the journey......sort of. I went to the BC outfitters association page and looked at every "licensed" outfitter for stone sheep. There are more than a few outfitters and quite a few look like they don't really focus on sheep. I want a outfit that really focuses on sheep. I'm not scared of doing some research but I'm looking for a list of questions to ask the outfitters. It's almost like not knowing what you don't know. Not even sure what questions to ask about a stone sheep hunt. I've seen some posters that say some outfitters will let you hunt until you kill. Some have better genetics. Horses....do all outfitters use horses? Quota's. Not even sure what that really means in regards to stone sheep. Sheep densities.

So my question. Can you more experienced guys give me some questions to ask a potential stone sheep outfitter? Is there a member or two on this site or another place where I can get some really good advice?

So I begin the process!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Ask Greg Mchale for advice too! He lives this annually.

With a handle like recurveman do you plan to bowhunt or rifle? If archery is your goal you need to be more picky when spending that kind of money.

Dustin Roe may be a great guide and operation but his sheep area is not the best. If bowhunting Kinaskin Lake with Jerry Creyke has the exclusive archery area and higher sheep densities, though organizational skills of native guides may be lacking. Yukon stone with Aaron Florian may get you the chance at a truly big ram. Big Nine may have one of the best sheep areas and most dedicated die hard owners (that may rub some the wrong way) but the price will reflect that, though they are one of the few with a money back guarantee or opportunity to come back.
I was going to preface my post with a “if money is of no concern, Big Nine”
Dustin has taken many bow hunters but there may be better options. I just know he’s a great guy and will work his ass off to get what you desire.

hunt&fish

FNG
There are a lot of good outfits and BC is the only place to get a true stone. Johnny Nikirk is another name to look up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
I enjoy using a bow. It would be great and I love to bow hunt. It would really depend on the circumstances.

OP
R

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
With stone sheep hunt prices being what they are I’m not seeing an outfitter not focusing on them.
Well you should go look at the guide outfitters association of BC's website. Probably 25-35% of the "sheep" outfitters really don't hunt sheep. Quite a few don't even have a pic of a dead sheep on their site. Others will flat out say they only have one hunter a year or one hunter every other year. I don't think they can focus on sheep because of the lack of quantity of sheep in their area. Not that they aren't great outfits I just don't want to be on the fringe of stone sheep country. I want to be in the middle of it!!!!!!!

Old and gray

Lil-Rokslider
Because of resident pressure some outfitters don’t post pictures. You Might have to email them. Too bad the sheep show is cancelled, this would be the place to gather info.

idig4au

WKR
I would look at Heidi Gutfrucht at Northwest Ranching and Outfitting if you want to go to BC. She has a big area, good age class sheep, proper stone capes and takes only a few sheep hunters a year. She will give you a proper old school sheep hunt if you are prepared to hunt.

Feel free to PM me if any questions.

OP
R

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
Because of resident pressure some outfitters don’t post pictures. You Might have to email them. Too bad the sheep show is cancelled, this would be the place to gather info.

I went last year with my wife and that show was awesome. We both had a great time and I really wish I could go talk to some of these people in person. My plan was to go again in 2021. I wanted to attend the first day so the crowds would be less and then enjoy the weekend.

buckpro

FNG
Macmillan in the yukon also does stone sheep hunts, and they have a excellent success rate on their horse hunts. Not familiar with their backpack hunts though.

OP
R

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
I would look at Heidi Gutfrucht at Northwest Ranching and Outfitting if you want to go to BC. She has a big area, good age class sheep, proper stone capes and takes only a few sheep hunters a year. She will give you a proper old school sheep hunt if you are prepared to hunt.

Feel free to PM me if any questions.

Not 100% sure but it looks like she is teaming up with Red Creek outfitters now.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
The guy did not ask WHO to go with, he asked what questions to ask the outfitter...

If you are bowhunting, you better ask how many bow hunters they have taken, if they like taking bow hunters, and which of their guides LIKE taking bow hunters. You will find not many do and if you are a stick bow shooter it will be even less.

Asking for the success rate of bow hunters is pointless. Better question would be do they have particular areas within their guide area that are setup better for bow hunters than others.

Another good question to ask is how much resident pressure their area gets. Dropping $50,000 and then having to fight thru residents to get to “your” ram is not very appealing to me. And what happens if you get into that situation and what they do to avoid it. Big 9 that would be my very first question.

The best Stone sheep outfitters don’t advertise and don’t have any problem booking clients. You are probably not going to get that information on any website. Tough to even get that at the WSF or GSC Ovis conventions but those would be good places to start.