Stone Sheep Hunting Tactics

Yukon

FNG
Hello,

I am heading out in August for 10 days on a Stone sheep hunt. I have a fair amount of experience hunting Dalls but this will be my first Stone hunt. The Yukon does not have a high density of Stone sheep and I have not found too many locals that hunt them so I am seeking some advice from BC residents or those of you who have hunted stone sheep in the past.

I am heading into an area that has produced rams in the past. On a typical Dall hunt, I hike until I locate sheep as they are rarely in cover and it comes down to covering enough ground until I locate the ram I want before attempting a stalk. The area I am heading has much more vegetation and I doubt I will find them as high and in the open as Dalls.

From what I have heard, Stone sheep tend to hide out in cover so my strategy wont work. Is it likely that Stone sheep will lay in cover all day? Or if I spend a whole day glassing a valley, is it safe to say they should come out of cover at some point?

I want to know how long I should give an area before moving on to the next drainage. I have a lot of terrain I could and am capable of covering but I am not sure what the best strategy for success will be. I do also have a good chunk of time but don't want to be sitting in one valley for days on end if there are better approaches to success.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew