Stop it. We don't need this anymore.

BuzzH

WKR
@Randy Newberg , not to beat an dead horse, but I would really appreciate a how to be a respectful hunter on private land video. I dont mean leave the gates as you found them, but that is a good one. Things like were not to leave your carcasses (don't fill a farmers burn barrel with geese carcasses), stay of muddy roads that will be rutted up all winter, dont park in front of equipment/gates even if it hasn't moved all year, don't just assume the guy wants a fifth of whiskey (even though it is a nice gesture). This is the stuff that keeps shutting down access. I know that most of these things are not done intentionally and some people just dont know better. I know that's a money loser, but if you want to make dollars telling folks how to get tags out here, I would really like you to use your platform to tell them how to keep the limited opportunities on private ground we do have open. Thank you.
Common sense...so uncommon, apparently, that you're asking someone to make a video explaining common sense?

I hope that post is a joke...

Bighorner

WKR
Common sense...so uncommon, apparently, that you're asking someone to make a video explaining common sense?

I hope that post is a joke...
No it wasn't at all. I was on block management at place near and dear to me that had a burn barrel stuffed full of goose carcasses. That family believes that hunting should not be limited to the rich, but at some point providing access will get to be too much of a pain if people cant take the time to think about what they are doing and how it impacts other people. I get it some geese carcasses in a barrel dosent sound like a pain, until you realize geese carcasses are heavy, the burn barrel is rusty, they now have to go find a place for the geese, and all this will need to be done before they can put anything else in there. There is not trash pick up out in the middle of rural america.

I know not everyone is exposed to agriculture, but that's where alot of block management it is. In my mind it goes hand and hand with conservation. I dont think it is unreasonable to educate about that stuff along with how to get the tag, where to go, what to bring.

I know this is not all on newbergs shoulders, but I do hope he is someone that cares enough to atleast consider preparing some of these guys in a way other than what caliber to bring.

Im trying to bring some type of solution, I could just be bitching.

Last edited:

ChrisAU

WKR
There's a lot of misplaced hate in here.

I'm an adult on-set hunter; I didn't hunt whitetail deer (or anything at all) until I was freshman in college in 2006.

Four years ago today I had never seriously considered western hunting - too expensive, too difficult, too complicated.

Then in June of 2018 I saw an elk mount in a jerky shop in Foley Alabama and decided I wanted to do that. Since then, I've dragged 5 buddies into it and between us we've killed two elk and two antelope in 4 total hunts.

My number one tool, by far, has been Rokslide.

So two things created 6 western hunters that had never thought about going out West to hunt before - a jerky shop and Rokslide. Not Randy Newberg, not Steven Rinella. I didn't know who they were until I was months into the endeavor.

I'm getting ready now to write a nasty ass letter to that jerky shop demanding they take that elk mount down and renouncing my Rokslide membership** because now that I've figured out how to do some things, I'll be damned if anyone else is allowed to!

*ducking*

**not really

***love you guys mean it :D

There's a lot of misplaced hate in here.

I'm an adult on-set hunter; I didn't hunt whitetail deer (or anything at all) until I was freshman in college in 2006.

Four years ago today I had never seriously considered western hunting - too expensive, too difficult, too complicated.

Then in June of 2018 I saw an elk mount in a jerky shop in Foley Alabama and decided I wanted to do that. Since then, I've dragged 5 buddies into it and between us we've killed two elk and two antelope in 4 total hunts.

My number one tool, by far, has been Rokslide.

So two things created 6 western hunters that had never thought about going out West to hunt before - a jerky shop and Rokslide. Not Randy Newberg, not Steven Rinella. I didn't know who they were until I was months into the endeavor.

I'm getting ready now to write a nasty ass letter to that jerky shop demanding they take that elk mount down and renouncing my Rokslide membership** because now that I've figured out how to do some things, I'll be damned if anyone else is allowed to!

*ducking*

**not really

***love you guys mean it :D
I have been saying this for a while. I found Rokslide while doing research on western hunting. If I have something wrong with my car, I hit the forums first. Same for hunting. People like to push blame while typing in a social media site that does the exact thing they are blaming someone else for lol.

Mtnboy

WKR
I have been saying this for a while. I found Rokslide while doing research on western hunting. If I have something wrong with my car, I hit the forums first. Same for hunting. People like to push blame while typing in a social media site that does the exact thing they are blaming someone else for lol.

You are not completely wrong. The difference is, this place is mostly for people who are already hunting to find more information. Rokslide is not out actively creating content to recruit new hunters.

You are not completely wrong. The difference is, this place is mostly for people who are already hunting to find more information. Rokslide is not out actively creating content to recruit new hunters.
True but it comes up often in a Google search. Heck even that lady the other day joined to ask about buying a house lol. All because she googled something and Rokslide was top on the list.

YouTube is the same way. My kids watch it and no hunting shows ever just pop up for them. All video games and stuff. You have to be actively looking for those things to happen. Randy Newberg isn’t popping up on some random guys feed that has never hunted before.

Funny thing is, the very videos mentioned in this thread are linked in several others on here.

Randy is creating an uncontested market space. It's called the Blue Ocean Business Strategy. The blue ocean in this case are hunters and sportsman from all over the mid-west, deep-south, east coast who never dreamed of hunting in Wyoming.

Other businessmen target Christian sportsmen, you will see them openly praying in their 'content' and will sometimes use a crucifix in their branding.

Getting angry at any of these businessmen is akin to getting angry at Home Depot for destroying your local hardware store. It's only business, don't get angry.

Except in this case, it involves a limited public resource regulated by state agencies...

huck

Lil-Rokslider
boy i hope randy doesnt end up needing a job like remi , this thread would go to hell in a hurry.

Jkr61

FNG
Alaskan subsistence hunters have decided that small planes are influencing migratory caribous to shift there patterns- solution CANCEL all non-subsistence hunters!

Lower 48 hunters have decided influencers are giving out to much information- solution CANCEL the influencers!

Knee jerk reactions to change

Maverick1

WKR
Happy to answer any specific questions you might have.
Hey, Randy - have you ever been cited for any sort of wildlife/game/hunting-related violation? (Properly tagging animals, keeping evidence of sex, having the right conservation stamp/license, shooting from a vehicle, hunting on private land without permission, trespassing, wearing blaze orange, proof of hunter education, stopping at hunter check stations, etc.)

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey, Randy - have you ever been cited for any sort of wildlife/game/hunting-related violation? (Properly tagging animals, keeping evidence of sex, having the right conservation stamp/license, shooting from a vehicle, hunting on private land without permission, trespassing, wearing blaze orange, proof of hunter education, stopping at hunter check stations, etc.)
I've not. I spend a lot of time reading all of these different state regs and I hope I never miss one of them where I end up in that situation.

mcfd45

FNG
Here’s my take on this topic.

1: Randy has very openly stated that his goal is to increase DIY hunting and its advocacy. Part of this is to have more guys (and gals) in the woods and partaking in hunting.
His videos attract hunters. It’s not like you can get lost on YouTube and stumble on his
Strategy for AZ elk….

2: The guys that are ruining hunting aren’t guys like Randy or Rinella. The guys ruining hunting are the anti hunters. They have an unlimited budget and don’t care how they meet their goals.
We shouldn’t be attacking one of our team. Especially not the guy that is always pushing an ethical way to hunt.

3: Being from Michigan, I have no idea how draws work, specials draws, points systems, NR allocation, etc.
I likely wouldn’t be able to easily figure it out if it wasn’t for videos like Randy’s channel.

4: My twin 4 year olds love his videos.
“Bear. BEAR!!!” Thing 2 points at the TV
“Yes Eli. That’s a black bear”
“Bwack Bear.”

Randy, Rinella, Brian Call, etc.
keep doing it. Our sport needs good stewards, teachers, and mentors.

Mtnboy

WKR
Here’s my take on this topic.

1: Randy has very openly stated that his goal is to increase DIY hunting and its advocacy. Part of this is to have more guys (and gals) in the woods and partaking in hunting.
His videos attract hunters. It’s not like you can get lost on YouTube and stumble on his
Strategy for AZ elk….

2: The guys that are ruining hunting aren’t guys like Randy or Rinella. The guys ruining hunting are the anti hunters. They have an unlimited budget and don’t care how they meet their goals.
We shouldn’t be attacking one of our team. Especially not the guy that is always pushing an ethical way to hunt.

3: Being from Michigan, I have no idea how draws work, specials draws, points systems, NR allocation, etc.
I likely wouldn’t be able to easily figure it out if it wasn’t for videos like Randy’s channel.

4: My twin 4 year olds love his videos.
“Bear. BEAR!!!” Thing 2 points at the TV
“Yes Eli. That’s a black bear”
“Bwack Bear.”

Randy, Rinella, Brian Call, etc.
keep doing it. Our sport needs good stewards, teachers, and mentors.

You lost me at Brian Call. Dude is a poacher among other things.

Reactions: OMB