Stop it. We don't need this anymore.

Spot on. The sad irony is the the product the hunting industry is selling is a public resource, and a limited one at that. The more customers they add to the base the more it destroys the product they are ultimately making a living from. Great short-term strategy to sell public hunting information to grow and profit from YouTube clicks, merch, and sponsorships, but not exactly the best long term proposition.
This thread has lost its way.

The business strategy is strengthen the brand by growing the customer base, e.g. hunters who have never hunted the inter-mountain western states, extracting their disposable income, and then eventually selling the name and the brand.

The revenue stream will come from these new-to-the-west hunters. Legacy hunters angry about posting information will more than likely already have matured hunting tactics and equipment and their anger will not need considered. Hunting being a generational pursuit, the customer base feeds on itself, a generation of hunters who watch their father visit web sites to plan an application strategy will do the same thing when they come of age. Solid Blue Ocean Business strategy.

Customers who have never hunted the inter-mountain west will have no idea they are hunting in a unit degraded by marketing strategies.

BuzzH

WKR
Spot on. The sad irony is the the product the hunting industry is selling is a public resource, and a limited one at that. The more customers they add to the base the more it destroys the product they are ultimately making a living from. Great short-term strategy to sell public hunting information to grow and profit from YouTube clicks, merch, and sponsorships, but not exactly the best long term proposition.
Yes the resource is limited and public, that's why we have professional biologists to set quotas, seasons, document harvest, etc. etc.

The reason is to ensure that the resource is not over-utilized.

For instance, the 7,250 NR full priced elk tags has sold out for longer than 20 years in WY. The number of licenses available is set in regulation. Its impossible to do any damage to the public resource by increasing the customer base.

Doesn't matter if there are 7,250 total customers or 725,000 customers...the impact to the resource is limited to 7,250...and the exact same in either case.

S.Clancy

WKR
Anyone want to discuss the GF/FWP/DNR pages complete with hunt planners?

Every state I apply in has more and better information than any influencer...including maps, draw odds, biologists phone numbers, phone numbers to application assistants, places to get started hunting, specific drainages/areas, etc. etc. etc. etc.
Keep this quiet, jeeze

tdhanses

WKR
Yes the resource is limited and public, that's why we have professional biologists to set quotas, seasons, document harvest, etc. etc.

The reason is to ensure that the resource is not over-utilized.

For instance, the 7,250 NR full priced elk tags has sold out for longer than 20 years in WY. The number of licenses available is set in regulation. Its impossible to do any damage to the public resource by increasing the customer base.

Doesn't matter if there are 7,250 total customers or 725,000 customers...the impact to the resource is limited to 7,250...and the exact same in either case.
No one is talking about a resource impact, it’s a participation impact. If today there are 50k people applying for your example this year and next year there are a 150k applying, odds are you’ll likley have less opportunity to participate, but you understand this completely you just always deflect away from ever saying it, yes NR hunter opportunities will decrease because their chances of having a tag will decrease with more hands in the bucket.

Same goes for residents when more residents move to a state and participate.

BuzzH

WKR
No one is talking about a resource impact, it’s a participation impact. If today there are 50k people applying for your example this year and next year there are a 150k applying, odds are you’ll likley have less opportunity to participate, but you understand this completely you just always deflect away from ever saying it, yes NR hunter opportunities will decrease because their chances of having a tag will decrease with more hands in the bucket.

Same goes for residents when more residents move to a state and participate.
Maybe you should start paying attention to the influencers, they tend to hunt a lot with tags you say aren't available?

My concern over the last couple decades has been having TOO MNAY tags...this past season being no exception. I also left plenty of opportunity on the table and NR tags unpurchased.

Not sure how it is guys aren't finding enough tags to keep them busy...probably watching too many youtube videos?

tdhanses

WKR
Maybe you should start paying attention to the influencers, they tend to hunt a lot with tags you say aren't available?
Never said they aren’t available for now, they may find it’s harder to get tags and create content in the future, yes it won’t happen overnight but it’ll become more difficult as more use their tactics or recommendations on how to get tags.

But guess by then they’ll just buy tags and hunt private ranches.

Maybe they’ll just tag along on hunts in the future watching others hunt.

Guess they can’t be an influencer if in the future they only get a tag every 5 years, or only have one or two hunts to film a year.

BuzzH

WKR
Never said they aren’t available for now, they may find it’s harder to get tags and create content in the future, yes it won’t happen overnight but it’ll become more difficult as more use their tactics or recommendations on how to get tags.

Stay a step ahead...

tdhanses

WKR
Stay a step ahead...
I think most of us do but with time it won’t be possible, things will change, NR hunting eventually will not be an annual event until all the baby boomers are out of the picture, we’ll probably see a large decline in numbers then and tags will be easier to come by.

It’ll be interesting to see where we are at in 15-20yrs from now.

cnelk

WKR
I’m sure the influencers put their ‘application plan’ in quite few years ago.

A few of them applied each year.

Get your ‘uncles’, cousins, kids, wives, and friends on board. Apply in many states. When one draws, they jump back in the game.

It doesn't take much of a mathematician to run those numbers to see how to keep getting tags.

As we’ve seen in the past, the ‘influencers’ may not be the ones actually hunting on film but definitely getting the notoriety.

S.Clancy

WKR

But guess by then they’ll just buy tags and hunt private ranches.

Guess they can’t be an influencer if in the future they only get a tag every 5 years, or only have one or two hunts to film a year.
My guess is that is already happening given the number of those folks hunting landowner tags in NM, CO, etc.

ljalberta

WKR
You guys sound like a bunch of landowners with public land access that they have landlocked or corner locked. "This resource is paid for by and intended for the use of everyone, but I should be the only one allowed to use this part of it".
Yup.

I'd rather have my hunting grounds be more pressured by new recruits who are interested in hunting getting out there, than have a swath of potential hunters never get to experience the beauty of the outdoors and the pursuit due to the (at times) overwhelming learning curve.

I think our societies are going to have bigger issues than out of state hunters if the newer generations keep spending more time in the digital realm and less time outdoors.

That's kinda the point, but it's the new comers that view the content, so as long as new people are being introduced the content will be viewed.

The question is more, what should the content be for newcomers?
I think.

I mean I'm sure there's videos with 100k views on how to debone an animal, I sure ain't watching it.

@Justin Crossley

I think I'm really failing at what I'm trying to say.

Point is, those who are already involved don't really know what's being spread. We don't keep up with it, it's not on our radar.

But as participants, maybe we should be aware and active in it.

Maybe I better articulated my point there.

We should be aware of what is out there, if we view it or not.

Maybe I should start viewing all those videos I ignore now....

tdhanses

WKR
Isn't there a terribly long OTC unlimited elk season for residents in Kansas? A college teammate has put an arrow through one with his bow the last few years in the wonderful state of Kansas.

View attachment 370583
If you have private access, chances of seeing an elk in public wiha is .0000001%, that tag is good for where there pretty much aren’t elk but if you are lucky and have access to private next to the army base then you hit a gold mine. Same goes for the southwestern part of the state, they are mainly in a protected area you can’t hunt.

3AC3A882-C64B-4D87-AF67-DBDA3D2CC163.png

Hopefully they keep growing and expanding their numbers but for now for most it’s a donation to the state to buy that tag. Believe our population est state wide is around 500 elk, the unlimited tags are provided outside of the reintroduction areas to keep from paying farmers for damages and containing the herds.

Good little read here, https://ksoutdoors.com/content/download/52720/564892/version/1/file/2019-20+Elk+Harvest+Report.pdf

Last edited:
If you have private access, chances of seeing an elk in public wiha is .0000001%, that tag is good for where there pretty much aren’t elk but if you are lucky and have access to private next to the army base then you hit a gold mine. Same goes for the southwestern part of the state, they are mainly in a protected area you can’t hunt.

View attachment 370587
Next year there will be a youtube video series "DIY KaNsAS pUbLic lAnD mOnSTer bULLLLL!!?!!"

I guarantee it.

Followed quickly by a "How to draw a Kansas elk tag every year guaranteed" series by Randy et al.

Followed up with "Pack dump for Kansas elk"

And "Best optics setup for Kansas elk"

And "Why I shoot Bow-Tech for Kansas elk"

And "Why I choose Leupold Sunglasses for Kansas elk"

sndmn11

WKR
So, there is unlimited OTC elk opportunity for residents of Kansas if they are willing to put in the work? Sounds like a KS resident could go buy one right now and hunt for two months. That is an outstanding opportunity for those folks who want to put in the effort and not have things handed to them. The friend I speak of isn't hunting where you have described...

There is also unlimited OTC elk opportunity in Colorado for list C licenses.
1642806197285.png

It is strange to read people talk about having a negative view on others not earning information, or people are making things too competitive or crowded, etc., but then scoffing at the notion of putting in some work at the solution that is right in front of them. What it seems like people are really wanting is for things to be easy for them, but not others.

cnelk

WKR
Next year there will be a youtube video series "DIY KaNsAS pUbLic lAnD mOnSTer bULLLLL!!?!!"

I guarantee it.

Followed quickly by a "How to draw a Kansas elk tag every year guaranteed" series by Randy et al.

Followed up with "Pack dump for Kansas elk"

And "Best optics setup for Kansas elk"

And "Why I shoot Bow-Tech for Kansas elk"

And "Why I choose Leupold Sunglasses for Kansas elk"
Funny - but won’t happen.

I pressed Randy he should/why he doesn’t promote Kansas deer - said not enough interest

tdhanses

WKR
So, there is unlimited OTC elk opportunity for residents of Kansas if they are willing to put in the work? Sounds like a KS resident could go buy one right now and hunt for two months. That is an outstanding opportunity for those folks who want to put in the effort and not have things handed to them. The friend I speak of isn't hunting where you have described...

There is also unlimited OTC elk opportunity in Colorado for list C licenses.
View attachment 370593

It is strange to read people talk about having a negative view on others not earning information, or people are making things too competitive or crowded, etc., but then scoffing at the notion of putting in some work at the solution that is right in front of them. What it seems like people are really wanting is for things to be easy for them, but not others.
Here read this, might help you understand the opportunity https://ksoutdoors.com/content/download/52720/564892/version/1/file/2019-20+Elk+Harvest+Report.pdf

I mean it‘s like saying an otc tag is good but all elk are on private 100% of the time, guess there is an op, I personally wouldn’t waste time and money on it since I don’t have the hookup for private.

Your buddy was 1 of 47 lucky guys. Unlike most states, KS has amazing records on the elk harvets.

Does your friend hunt private and is he willing to have it opened up to the public?

Yes there is opportunity as everyone has said, maybe you should do a youtube video on the C tags in CO for those not willing to look, maybe point out public vs private issues for the tags as well while your at it 😂

Last edited: