Stop it. We don't need this anymore.

tdhanses

WKR
I think some should read the thread over again, it isn’t about resident opportunities, but maybe it’s difficult to graps a thread directed to NR ops and how SM is handing info out for clicks which isn’t good for those that do research opportunities they are interested in.

Reactions: OMB

Wvroach

WKR
I appreciate Randy and his work, I understand the sentiment but I have learned a lot from him and others like him and on this forum.

Coming from the East and Appalachian Mountains hunting around here and the west are completely different. I haven't watched every video of his but the onX series certainly helped me the most to get on to game. I appreciate the DIY aspect of hunting and prefer not to go with a guide. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

Personally I hope Randy continues to bring in more new hunters and push conservation. Every new Hunter is another to stand against the push for predator protection and trap/hunt banning within the states as well. Eastman's has been around since I was a kid so has outdoor life and FF&G the media has always been there for people to learn about Western hunting just now it is more accessible through different avenues.

I haven't seen him pushing anything anymore than anyone else with a hunting show with his sponsors. I also haven't seen him do anything I would call unethical. To each their own I reckon, I wish we had more people pushing to preserve public lands and hunting rights.

sndmn11

WKR
Here read this, might help you understand the opportunity https://ksoutdoors.com/content/download/52720/564892/version/1/file/2019-20+Elk+Harvest+Report.pdf

I mean it‘s like saying an otc tag is good but all elk are on private 100% of the time, guess there is an op, I personally wouldn’t waste time and money on it since I don’t have the hookup for private.

Your buddy was 1 of 47 lucky guys. Unlike most states, KS has amazing records on the elk harvets.

Does your friend hunt private and is he willing to have it opened up to the public?

Yes there is opportunity as everyone has said, maybe you should do a youtube video on the C tags in CO for those not willing to look, maybe point out public vs private issues for the tags as well while your at it 😂

Private and public. It has taken several years of utilizing the opportunity available to KS residents only, and now it is a regular success.

I don't have a YouTube channel. There is thousands of acres of public land available, in those units in CO, maybe it is too much work to figure out? There are even bighorns in with one of those elk herds.

I commented originally because you said you can't hunt elk in KS, every year, which turns out to be false. There is currently endless opportunity for a handful of species out west, a lot of it with nearly no competition from others, you just might have to work a little harder.

tdhanses

WKR
Private and public. It has taken several years of utilizing the opportunity available to KS residents only, and now it is a regular success.

I don't have a YouTube channel. There is thousands of acres of public land available, in those units in CO, maybe it is too much work to figure out? There are even bighorns in with one of those elk herds.

I commented originally because you said you can't hunt elk in KS, every year, which turns out to be false. There is currently endless opportunity for a handful of species out west, a lot of it with nearly no competition from others, you just might have to work a little harder.
Yeah that was Buzzh derailing the thread.

Only elk in KS have been killed on private or the military base unless your buddy wasn’t honest in his mandatory reporting.

sndmn11

WKR
Yeah that was Buzzh derailing the thread.

My point would be I see people complain that educating others on opportunity makes too much competition, all the while the thumb their nose at non-competitive opportunity. For the folks who bang the "they didn't work for it" drum, what a cool chance to bet on that principal and yourself by utilizing those opportunities.

woods89

WKR
I'm almost getting hopeful about big tech deplatforming hunting. Hear me out!

-No more "here's exactly how you apply'' videos.
-No more goats shot in questionable places videos.
-No more Hushin and Muley Freak long range rodeo videos.
-No more bear spearing videos that result in loss of seasons.
-No more shooting German Shepherd videos.

At that point we would just have to go out and hunt for our own fun, test our own products, try new places on our own, figure out our own application strategies, etc. Sounds terrible, doesn't it?

Post made facetiously, well, somewhat, anyway.........

Mtnboy

WKR

At that point we would just have to go out and hunt for our own fun, test our own products, try new places on our own, figure out our own application strategies, etc. Sounds terrible, doesn't it?

You're not wrong...

I wish they would and really surprised they haven’t yet.
Maybe Zuck will come through and ban it totally.

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
@Mtnboy , thanks for tagging me. It's likely I would have not even looked at this thread when I dropped in this evening.

Lots of opinions and comments. I'm happy to answer any questions asked directly of me.

As to the video I think might have been the origin of this thread, I have been doing state-by-state application videos and podcasts since 2016. Before that I was doing print format content over on my forum for each state, species, deadline.

If Wyoming was the video that was removed from post #1, we've already filmed AZ, soon to film NM, UT, CO, MT, NV, ID. So long as I have platforms that are dedicated to "Promoting self-guided public land hunting and create advocates for that cause," I will produce content that shows people how to apply for the tags and navigate the elaborate schemes western states have designed to slant the table in favor of old gray-haired farts like me who have been applying in these states for 25 years.

If I am going to be successful in creating advocates for self-guided hunting on western public lands, that requires them getting out and experiencing those lands. To do that, I feel informational content is helpful. For me, it started with magazines. Then I was one of the first subscribers to Huntin' Fool when Garth promised us it would be capped at 500 members. Then it was magazines adding segments on the topic. I learned a lot from all of those sources, along with what I researched on my own. None of it is proprietary. States are building systems to do the same, something I think is also helpful.

As much as some have made it clear they disagree with us putting out information on how to navigate the systems, I will continue to do it, the same as I put out content on conservation, access, advocacy, and other topics I think are core to why we do this. None of those content types pay for themselves. None of them get the views that our hunting content gets. But, without those informational, educational, and advocacy videos, I don't think we will fulfill the WHY of our business.

Happy to answer any specific questions you might have.

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t think we are that far away from GoHunt and/or Randy putting out a video on how to properly watch a video.

That’s how dumbed down and frankly disgusting this is all getting.
I was just day dreaming of this, making YouTube videos on how to watch YouTube videos and which ones to watch to pick up certain information. Like the one I just saw where there was 12 bulls in a drainage and later on the guy drags the computer curser over a map that shows the latitude/longitude of exact area where they kill a bull. See ya there next year! Boots on the ground my ass!

Billinsd

WKR
What's everyone think about a recent episode, with Randy and a white board talking about elk, deer, and antelope, short term, near term, and long term application strategies? I was thinking, it took me decades to figure a lot of that out. I wasn't upset about it, though, I figured if it gets more people hunting, fantastic! I'll adapt and overcome if it negatively affects me. The Eastman's, Hunting fool, Dwight Schuh and Larry Jones got me out hunting elk and deer and I'm grateful for it. Everything is getting easier, but having it tough builds character and I got lots of it. Cheers!! Bill

Last edited:
I’ve got it!!!! I figured it out. Ok bear with me….

-“Influencers” pretend to be good hunters but only hunt private ranches with big animals.
They also are too successful on public lands and pimp them out online and in videos causing multitudes of others issues (like this thread)

-They give new hunters bad info and drive people away from hunting and give us all a bad name to the public;
They also give the public too much good information that they we are over populated with new hunters who know it all already without having to do the work themselves.

-We love all the new gear out there that helps us be more comfortable and hunt longer;
But We hate the new camo and tech gear because it’s “cool” and is only effective at catching hunters and not game and we have been killing animals for centuries with earth tones.

-We love being able to stretch our guns/bows out to long range to help us be more efficient and more accurate/deadly
We hate all new weapons tech because it ruins every other type of weapon hunt and it’s not our idea of being traditional enough.

-we want more and longer seasons and opportunities,
But we hate introducing new seasons because it cuts into other seasons (OUR season).

-we want more people hunting so we can have a larger fighting force in politics so our lifestyle doesn’t die;
But we also HATE all the new hunters because they don’t know anything and you know….unit over crowding and we can’t have it all to ourselves anymore.

-we call new guys who research and ask questions lazy for not coming up with it all on their own;
Yet we also think that lazy people are the ones filling up the tough to reach back country.

-we hate their shows;
We still watch every single one

-we hate social media;
We still participate on it every day

CONGRATS everyone!!! We did it. We are officially our own worst enemies. Great job………

We are all ridiculous. Can you imagine spending this much freakin effort on something worthwhile and meaningful? We might actually do some kind of good. God forbid we actually quit fighting each other and do some good. Man….what an idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk No

Last edited:

JFK

WKR
@Mtnboy , thanks for tagging me. It's likely I would have not even looked at this thread when I dropped in this evening.

Lots of opinions and comments. I'm happy to answer any questions asked directly of me.

As to the video I think might have been the origin of this thread, I have been doing state-by-state application videos and podcasts since 2016. Before that I was doing print format content over on my forum for each state, species, deadline.

If Wyoming was the video that was removed from post #1, we've already filmed AZ, soon to film NM, UT, CO, MT, NV, ID. So long as I have platforms that are dedicated to "Promoting self-guided public land hunting and create advocates for that cause," I will produce content that shows people how to apply for the tags and navigate the elaborate schemes western states have designed to slant the table in favor of old gray-haired farts like me who have been applying in these states for 25 years.

If I am going to be successful in creating advocates for self-guided hunting on western public lands, that requires them getting out and experiencing those lands. To do that, I feel informational content is helpful. For me, it started with magazines. Then I was one of the first subscribers to Huntin' Fool when Garth promised us it would be capped at 500 members. Then it was magazines adding segments on the topic. I learned a lot from all of those sources, along with what I researched on my own. None of it is proprietary. States are building systems to do the same, something I think is also helpful.

As much as some have made it clear they disagree with us putting out information on how to navigate the systems, I will continue to do it, the same as I put out content on conservation, access, advocacy, and other topics I think are core to why we do this. None of those content types pay for themselves. None of them get the views that our hunting content gets. But, without those informational, educational, and advocacy videos, I don't think we will fulfill the WHY of our business.

If more hunters is the goal, consider for a moment that you may have succeeded. Do you have a goal in mind or is a “more the better” type mission? Someone could also create advocates for public lands by encouraging people to hike, camp, mountain bike etc, but hunting differs in that it’s a consumptive activity based on a finite resource. More to the point, is there ever a scenario where you’d feel that hand-holding more people into western hunting would be a bad thing?

68Plexi

WKR
I’ve got it!!!! I figured it out. Ok bear with me….

-“Influencers” pretend to be good hunters but only hunt private ranches with big animals.
They also are too successful on public lands and pimp them out online and in videos causing multitudes of others issues (like this thread)

-They give new hunters bad info and drive people away from hunting and give us all a bad name to the public;
They also give the public too much good information that they we are over populated with new hunters who know it all already without having to do the work themselves.

-We love all the new gear out there that helps us be more comfortable and hunt longer;
But We hate the new camo and tech gear because it’s “cool” and is only effective at catching hunters and not game and we have been killing animals for centuries with earth tones.

-We love being able to stretch our guns/bows out to long range to help us be more efficient and more accurate/deadly
We hate all new weapons tech because it ruins every other type of weapon hunt and it’s not our idea of being traditional enough.

-we want more and longer seasons and opportunities,
But we hate introducing new seasons because it cuts into other seasons (OUR season).

-we want more people hunting so we can have a larger fighting force in politics so our lifestyle doesn’t die;
But we also HATE all the new hunters because they don’t know anything and you know….unit over crowding and we can’t have it all to ourselves anymore.

-we call new guys who research and ask questions lazy for not coming up with it all on their own;
Yet we also think that lazy people are the ones filling up the tough to reach back country.

-we hate their shows;
We still watch every single one

-we hate social media;
We still participate on it every day

CONGRATS everyone!!! We did it. We are officially our own worst enemies. Great job………

We are all ridiculous. Can you imagine spending this much freakin effort on something worthwhile and meaningful? We might actually do some kind of good. God forbid we actually quit fighting each other and do some good. Man….what an idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk No

the whole thing. But that last paragraph, oh my.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
If more hunters is the goal, consider for a moment that you may have succeeded. Do you have a goal in mind or is a “more the better” type mission? Someone could also create advocates for public lands by encouraging people to hike, camp, mountain bike etc, but hunting differs in that it’s a consumptive activity based on a finite resource. More to the point, is there ever a scenario where you’d feel that hand-holding more people into western hunting would be a bad thing?
I doubt we'll ever see many reliable advocates for the cause of public land hunting among the hikers, bikers, campers or the groups that claim to represent them. Just no way to connect them to hunting from those activities and my experience is that they are usually on the opposite side of the table when we are talking about how public land uses are allocated. When I spent three years on the Governor's Grizzly Bear Roundtable, the groups who claimed to represent the people you mention wanted fewer hunters, especially on public lands. That has been my experience and I don't see that changing.

It is not necessarily about "more hunters." It is about "more advocates." If we had 50% fewer hunters, yet doubled the number of advocates for self-guided public land hunting, I'd be fine with 50% fewer hunters. But, that's not how it happens. I spend two hours per day interacting with our audiences via forum, YT comments, emails, etc. It is my experience that many of the people who have recently come to hunting are very active in advocating for public lands, conservation, access, etc.

Is there a scenario that more people in western hunting is a bad thing? Possibly, if they are all/mostly focused on just the hunting and ignore the issues of conservation, access, and public lands. I don't see that being the case, any more than the scenario I mentioned above about half the hunters and twice the advocates.

I spend most my free time on conservation and access issues. I don't see us having "too many" advocates for self-guided public land hunting in my lifetime.

Keep up the good work. Public hunting has been tough the past few years for a variety of reasons and guys will always find a scapegoat rather than consider the multitude of reasons that hunting the west is rapidly changing. Congratulations on living the American dream and doing what you love!

tdhanses

WKR
My point would be I see people complain that educating others on opportunity makes too much competition, all the while the thumb their nose at non-competitive opportunity. For the folks who bang the "they didn't work for it" drum, what a cool chance to bet on that principal and yourself by utilizing those opportunities.
I see your point but in reality why do they even need to make anything like that, let people figure stuff out for themselves.

I get people are fans of some and will defend them even if it negatively effects them in the long run.

If you don’t hunt as a NR then really you probably could careless about it really.

Last edited:

KineKilla

WKR
Cheers Randy.

The man isn't giving out specific unit information and certainly not gps coordinates to your honey holes.

I'm glad to have sources available that help me navigate the several different states and their regs. Sources like Newberg, GoHunt, etc.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
Cheers Randy.

The man isn't giving out specific unit information and certainly not gps coordinates to your honey holes.

I'm glad to have sources available that help me navigate the several different states and their regs. Sources like Newberg, GoHunt, etc.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
Reduces your efforts doesn’t?