Stop it. We don't need this anymore.

Traveler

WKR
I’ve always been a hunter and fisher, since as long as I can remember. When younger Outdoor Life got me into several new hunts, fishing that I wouldn’t have otherwise.

Seems hard to just go after certain types of content or topics. Successful hunters with lots of gear may make it look awesome, but I think all the home made “first time, no idea what I’m doing but was successful” noob videos keeps people coming also. Seems to make no sense in trying limit one and not others.

sndmn11

WKR
I see your point but in reality why do they even need to make anything like that, let people figure stuff out for themselves.

I get people are fans of some and will defend them even if it negatively effects them in the long run.

If you don’t hunt as a NR then really you probably could careless about it really.

I think people learn more efficiently with the help of those with knowledge. It is a natural thing.

We applied for doe pronghorn two years ago in WY, didn't draw. That is the only NR application we have put in for. Everytime I sit down to try and figure out a different state, I realize how much money, time, and effort I save sticking with the endless opportunities a resident has in Colorado. From what I can tell, every state I have looked at gives significant advantages to residents, one of which is familiarity with the application process.

Logan T

WKR
Haven’t watched any of these videos but maybe he’s getting ready to go hunt private land again while calling it public. Pretty crazy that the “number 1 DIY style guy” in the hunting tv industry filmed at least two episodes on private land, and called them public land hunts in his 1st season filming………

tdhanses

WKR
I think people learn more efficiently with the help of those with knowledge. It is a natural thing.

We applied for doe pronghorn two years ago in WY, didn't draw. That is the only NR application we have put in for. Everytime I sit down to try and figure out a different state, I realize how much money, time, and effort I save sticking with the endless opportunities a resident has in Colorado. From what I can tell, every state I have looked at gives significant advantages to residents, one of which is familiarity with the application process.
Once you are more invested in NR hunting, it’ll make more sense.

Reactions: OMB

sndmn11

WKR
No opportunity if people show others where there is or was opportunity.

We already went over how there is unlimited opportunity, both in my state and yours. You literally can hunt tomorrow in Colorado for a week, and then two more months in Kansas. You could buy 100 of the Colorado tags.
On top of that, every year in Colorado there are leftover limited tags that never get bought.

How much unlimited opportunity is needed?

tdhanses

WKR
We already went over how there is unlimited opportunity, both in my state and yours. You literally can hunt tomorrow in Colorado for a week, and then two more months in Kansas. You could buy 100 of the Colorado tags.
On top of that, every year in Colorado there are leftover limited tags that never get bought.

How much unlimited opportunity is needed?
How much opportunity is there for you to do that hunt, we aren’t talking resident opportunities.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Sorry Randy, you’ve lost me.

So the goal is to gain advocates? I’ll gladly shut up if it can be shown that this recent increase in western hunter numbers has also resulted in a resultant and proportionate increase in members of (or dollars donated to) conservation and other hunter advocacy groups. Yet something tells me that isn’t happening. I’d love to be wrong here.

So the goal is to gain advocates? I’ll gladly shut up if it can be shown that this recent increase in western hunter numbers has also resulted in a resultant and proportionate increase in members of (or dollars donated to) conservation and other hunter advocacy groups. Yet something tells me that isn’t happening. I’d love to be wrong here.
I struggle with the math as well. More hunters = more advocates seems like a poorly guided approach. If the goal is more advocates, why not focus all the effort on getting people who already grew up hunting to do more of the advocacy? Why would a guy who started hunting yesterday want to immediately spend resources on advocacy?

My guess is this all has a lot more to do with the money involved, much like everything else in life.

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I struggle with the math as well. More hunters = more advocates seems like a poorly guided approach. If the goal is more advocates, why not focus all the effort on getting people who already grew up hunting to do more of the advocacy? Why would a guy who started hunting yesterday want to immediately spend resources on advocacy?

My guess is this all has a lot more to do with the money involved, much like everything else in life.
Not sure how the logic works here, new hunters also want the resource to flourish and will gladly give time and money to conservation organizations. Also, advocacy is most effective with two things: money and people. I doubt the NRA would be a very effective organization if it didn't have money and people to back them.

rlmmarine

WKR
I think this thread just sucks randy is one reason i started hunting out west years ago i now make 4 to 5 trips each yyear from florida to hunt all over the west. This thread makes me feel as though you want this opportunity to hunt PUBLIC ground all to yourselves. If you want to hunt so bad Maybe you need to apply in other states including here in florida. Its a 30hr drive from wy to where i live and then you to can hunt all over the U.S. quit complaining. If you want to hunt bad enough you will find a way. Quit acting like these are your private tags that they are showing others how to get. Tags are over the counter here in the east come and get you some

sndmn11

WKR
How much opportunity is there for you to do that hunt, we aren’t talking resident opportunities.

Five months, hundreds of thousands of public acres, either sex, no limit if you have the dollars. What more does someone (not implying you, speaking in general) who complains about too much competition, crowds, point creep, etc. need?

I think having people who like hunting as I do is a good thing, especially politically. I surely don't want to tell anyone that opportunity for me shouldn't be an opportunity for them. If someone wants to hunt I am happy that there are so many avenues to do so. In Colorado, a person can get at least one OTC tag for elk, bear, deer, and pronghorn. Some of those species they can get two or more tags. I think that is awesome, and a good thing for hunting.

I think in analogies a lot. I would hate to see my son be successful in schoolwork or athletics because the barriers to participate made it easier for him. I'd also hate to see classes or sports not offered because other kids had no interest because of barriers to participate.

For me, people hunting has never turned my day sour; I enjoy seeing people have fun in this hobby more so than any personal success out there. I'm not hunting for life or death circumstances and I doubt many are.

When I see hunters complaining about someone "ruining hunting", it isn't hard to see that they are talking about some perceived damage to themselves and their own singular experience, rather than hunting as a whole. In this case, it seems people are upset because others may be enlightened to opportunities that they thought were more secretive yesterday or last year or last decade. Hunting wasn't ruined, they just are threatened by someone else potentially being out there with them.

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I think this thread just sucks randy is one reason i started hunting out west years ago i now make 4 to 5 trips each yyear from florida to hunt all over the west. This thread makes me feel as though you want this opportunity to hunt PUBLIC ground all to yourselves. If you want to hunt so bad Maybe you need to apply in other states including here in florida. Its a 30hr drive from wy to where i live and then you to can hunt all over the U.S. quit complaining. If you want to hunt bad enough you will find a way. Quit acting like these are your private tags that they are showing others how to get. Tags are over the counter here in the east come and get you some
Have you given time or money to conservation organizations? Just curious since some of the above posts indicate that we don't bring anything to the table other than to decrease draw odds.

But do they? Show me they do in numbers proportionate to recent increases western hunter numbers and I’ll gladly eat crow.

All I have is myself as an anecdote but I don't blame you for asking for the overall trend, I would also be interested in those numbers.

OMB

WKR
Not sure how the logic works here, new hunters also want the resource to flourish and will gladly give time and money to conservation organizations. Also, advocacy is most effective with two things: money and people. I doubt the NRA would be a very effective organization if it didn't have money and people to back them.
So there should be hard evidence of that. Are the ranks of REMF/WSF/MDF swelling their membership rolls and budgets? What's the increase in volunteers for conservation projects? Otherwise your statement is pure speculation.

Edit: and don't say joining BHA and coming to a few pint nights. They can't seem to weigh in on anything consequential until they're forced to, especially if it's at odds with any general left of center position.

Last edited:
I’ll gladly shut up if it can be shown that this recent increase in western hunter numbers has also resulted in a resultant and proportionate increase in members of (or dollars donated to) conservation and other hunter advocacy groups. Yet something tells me that isn’t happening. I’d love to be wrong here.
I personally have quit donating to different wildlife orgs. I’m done donating since there is less and less opportunities. I’ll use that money to purchase landowner tags or private access. People like Randy say lots of stuff. Like “it’s nice not to be in front of the camera and just hunt for myself. But hey look at this self filmed hunt I just did. Sorry about the quality.”
I think they are perfectly fine with you coming to hunt. They just want you to put the effort in. And not have someone hold your hand.

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor

You've made it clear on multiple occasions that "I've lost you." No problem with that. I appreciate it that you are willing to state so and your honesty about the fact.

Yeah, the goal is more advocates. How would you want it measured; dollars toward conservation, membership in conservation groups, people showing up for public meetings, folks calling their legislators, hours volunteered toward projects, acres of habitat improved, new access created, other?

And if one did define the measurement criteria, how could any one person take credit for what increase in advocates could be measured when there are so many aspects that go into creating advocates, members, dollars toward conservation, etc.? I know I surely wouldn't take credit for it.

Whatever threshold someone uses to determine if advocacy is increasing, is as varied as hunters themselves. And whatever threshold someone uses is not traceable to any single person or any single effort.

I do think more people are getting involved in conservation. It is increasing, at least in the areas and groups I am familiar with. I see it in the many places I go, the places I volunteer, the organizations I am a member of, and the people I talk to. I see it in projects funded, acres conserved, new access created, populations transplanted, people volunteering for water projects and fence pulls, the fact that no western politician is still pushing the idea of disposing public lands, the fact that thousands of Montanans commented to their wildlife Commissioners to get recent proposals changed (albeit to something almost as bad). I see it in a lot of places where it wasn't happening before.

I hope people continue to engage in advocacy and conservation, whether they are new hunters, or folks who have grown up hunting. The urgency of conservation has never been more evident in my lifetime. Some of the most critical remaining landscapes that have previously escaped the plow and shovel are now in the crosshairs. I'll keep doing what small part I can toward that effort with my time, my money, and our platforms. I accept that some aren't going to like it. Comes with the territory.

I wish you luck in 2022.