Stop it. We don't need this anymore.

I’m sure Bill Jordan and his industry partners in the 90’s also felt like they were doing good with advocacy and conservation while they grew their brands. Ultimately, however, they didn’t do many favors for the eastern whitetail hunter by promoting whitetail bowhunting. Public land is now even more overrun and private access is slim or leased for $$ per acre. Same goes for Duck Commander in the 2000’s, I’m sure they gave a lot of their Walmart t-shirt sale proceeds for good conservation work, but now every piece of public hunting ground east of the Mississippi is hammered and access to decent private spots is locked up with $$.

The western big game craze driven by influencers is now point-creeping residents and non resident alike out of the game. Ironically enough, by selling their wares to the midwestern bowhunters and duck hunters that have thrown in the towel and are seeking the experience they lost in the east. In recent years the game has even turned to the traveling turkey hunter and “turkey tours”. Even the YouTube stars will admit Florida is a *$&” show now.

Point is, it is important to recognize that there really can be too much of a good thing.

Last edited:

Wvroach

WKR
"but now every piece of public hunting ground east of the Mississippi is hammered and access to decent private spots is locked up with $$."
Out of the 5 eastern states I regularly hunt WV, VA, PA, SC, FL, I can say that simply isn't true with the exception of the first 3 days of rifle season and if you are willing to get in at least 2 hours before day break and hike over 2 miles or over a mountain you won't see a soul even then. Several wmas and National forest that have low to no pressure in a variety of states..

My experience was the same the times I've went west. Including opening of elk and mule deer seasons in heavily hunted units.

“Are you suggesting we only focus on existing hunters who already are applying in western states to make sure nobody else applies beyond those who are currently in the game?”

No. What I’m suggesting is you focus on entertaining us. You’re a great story teller. You have a story that people identify with. You’re a likeable fellow. Sometimes you’re even funny!

Show us wonderful wild places and the pursuit of majestic wild creatures, with a cast of interesting characters. That’s enough. That alone will captivate your viewers. That’s good media, without alienating anyone.

Stop it with the “Tag Application/Drawing/Leftover/OTC 101” stuffs.

That’s all.
Interesting how we live in a free country and you feel like it is ok to tell someone else how they should live or what they should focus on. This is the very reason the country is where it is at today. Sad that we are at this place in life. Maybe another country that doesn’t have the freedoms we do would be more to your liking? You could run for office and then feel good about telling others how they should live their life or spend their money.

BuzzH

WKR
Except that the resource isn’t the elk themselves, but rather the quality opportunity to hunt those elk. So when you have 7,250 customers everyone that desires gets access to the herd for a quality hunt. But when you have 725,000 customers and your draw odds approach 0 that elk herd for all intents and purposes may as well be extinct.
Just when I think I can't read anything more ridiculous and ignorant on a hunting board...this kind of post pops up.

So, your contention is, that unless YOU get to run a bullet through an elk where you want, when you want, then that elk is worthless and should be extinct. That only YOU should have the opportunity and when the odds get too tough, just wipe them out?

Do you also feel the same way about desert sheep, that only a handful of successful applicants will hunt one each year? You would rather they be extinct because you're so self centered, that since the draw odds are near zero...you would rather desert sheep not exist?

How about Shiras moose? My grandfather applied in Montana his entire life and never drew...I never once heard him say that since he didn't get to hunt one, they may as well be extinct.

If you really believe the animals themselves, along with the places they live, is NOT the resource, you're one miserable, misinformed, and sorry individual.

I'm very happy that the people with a passion for hunting and wildlife that came before me did not have anything close to your attitude in regard to how they valued wildlife. If they would have, there wouldn't be chit for game today. They sacrificed their own opportunities to ensure that the future generations had more and better opportunities than they did. They literally brought wildlife back from what you seem to want (extinction) because your draw odds may not be where you want them.

Attitudes like yours is exactly why I don't bother talking hunting with about 95% of the people who claim to be "hunters".

Truly unbelievable....and selfish.

Don't begrudge Newberg making six figures exploiting western state hunting. You can't kill a Montana mule deer without a signature howa mule deer rifle and Newberg super ammo, or a sitka vest or a Nissan pick up. cha Ching

Why doesn't Mr Newberg do shows in his home state of Minnysoda? Or WV, NC, NY, ND, CA, AL, MS, LA? Cant make big bucks marketing his aw shucks Minnysoda Rem 760 hunting rifle or a pair of $65 farm and fleet hunter hunter coveralls especially since all of the wolves he and BHA worship have diminished mid west deer hunting
I doubt very seriously Randy Newberg worships wolves. I also think he has killed a few. Not out of spite. Out of opportunity. Moaning about them isn’t going to kill one. Hunting does. He also cones off to me as a no nonsense type of guy. Graced with the ability to express himself in a way that is accepted by all. Non hunters included.

I think it’s a situation of variables that he has been forced to deal with concerning the wolves. Concerning the BHA and his relationship, I’m glad he is where he’s at. I’m pretty certain he would openly speak out against a move not involving the best interest for hunters, regardless of who was doing it.

That’s what he’s been doing all this for. Trying to protect huntings future on public lands. That’s been his goal from day one. And, presenting how to get further involved in that is a 2000% fail proof way of getting hunter representation.

I think it’s important to hear what he is saying. Established hunters aren’t doing anything to help our perspective or interests in the eyes of non hunters. It’s the most critical thing we can do. Yet, we don’t have an organization that fits that bill. So, we have Randy.

I don’t like the compromise of losing our rights on lands mostly paid for by hunting dollars. I don’t like having to buy a stamp in order to use it while other interests get to romp around like it’s theirs. With no monetary obligations. I don’t think it’s fair. I don’t like that many new aged hunters are ok with not hunting cats, wolves, bears with hounds, etc…. But, we are way past the days of other interests not utilizing these lands. So, we should be embracing his method of ensuring hunters get their share of opportunity on these lands. He’s the only one doing it.

He may not be your cup of tea. But, he has certainly never did one thing but advance the interest of public land hunters. Since he’s doing all that work for me, I’ll trust his intentions and reap the rewards. Without getting pissed off about more hunters in the woods.

We have got to compromise that between ourselves as hunters when it’s smart to do so. Before, we are simply knocked in the floor and forgotten about by non hunting groups who use the land.

Last edited:

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for chiming in Randy. Gosh, golly. gee whiz, Randy I did not know how to hunt until I watched your super informative hunting show. Aw shucks, BTW Why did you ban me and others when we asked if you received payments from AZ fish and Game for pimping out the late season Coues deer archery hunts to non residents? At first you denied it. Great job on exploiting endangered Coues deer to make a buck. When are you going to have that anti hunting, anti gun deebag Charles Post on your hunting show again? Really sad to see flash in a pan celebrities making big money pimping pout our public natural resources. States should should start charging you $25 k a film permit for exploiting our public natural resources.
You lost me at endangered coues deer.

Out of the 5 eastern states I regularly hunt WV, VA, PA, SC, FL, I can say that simply isn't true with the exception of the first 3 days of rifle season and if you are willing to get in at least 2 hours before day break and hike over 2 miles or over a mountain you won't see a soul even then. Several wmas and National forest that have low to no pressure in a variety of states..

My experience was the same the times I've went west. Including opening of elk and mule deer seasons in heavily hunted units.
VA and WV national forests have way more hikers, sight see’ers, and non hunting utilizers, then they’ll ever have hunters. Ever again. It takes an extreme effort to find, hunt, then kill anything on them. Which doesn’t fit the eastern whitetail hunters idea of a good time.

You want to hunt miles, and miles, and miles of ground without seeing anyone, come to public land in these states. You’ll be by yourself without having to try and be.

Wvroach

WKR
VA and WV national forests have way more hikers, sight see’ers, and non hunting utilizers, then they’ll ever have hunters. Ever again. It takes an extreme effort to find, hunt, then kill anything on them. Which doesn’t fit the eastern whitetail hunters idea of a good time.

You want to hunt miles, and miles, and miles of ground without seeing anyone, come to public land in these states. You’ll be by yourself without having to try and be.
Yep, most of the "hunters" I hear complain about how crowded public land around here is don't even hunt public other than drive down a main road on opening day and set a stand 100 yards from the road and bitch about how pressured everything is.

The opportunity is there and I have no issues filling my tags on public. This year I didn't harvest a buck by choice as all I saw were scrub bucks and hopefully I'll have the opportunity on them next year. Terrain or distance 2 sure ways to get past the opening day rifle slingers.

Don't begrudge Newberg making six figures exploiting western state hunting. You can't kill a Montana mule deer without a signature howa mule deer rifle and Newberg super ammo, or a sitka vest or a Nissan pick up. cha Ching

Why doesn't Mr Newberg do shows in his home state of Minnysoda? Or WV, NC, NY, ND, CA, AL, MS, LA? Cant make big bucks marketing his aw shucks Minnysoda Rem 760 hunting rifle or a pair of $65 farm and fleet hunter hunter coveralls especially since all of the wolves he and BHA worship have diminished mid west deer hunting
Quit being the victim man.

Yep, most of the "hunters" I hear complain about how crowded public land around here is don't even hunt public other than drive down a main road on opening day and set a stand 100 yards from the road and bitch about how pressured everything is.

The opportunity is there and I have no issues filling my tags on public. This year I didn't harvest a buck by choice as all I saw were scrub bucks and hopefully I'll have the opportunity on them next year. Terrain or distance 2 sure ways to get past the opening day rifle slingers.
I hunt both private and public. With public being my weekend and vacation hunting. Private being closer to home for evening hunts. I’ve never had a problem finding and killing deer on either. And, by a far margin, I have better success on the public grounds.

If someone is willing to work at it like they do out west, there are millions of acres in those two states to hunt. Sone of it is incredible hunting. It’s why I hunt there. Plus, it’s the closest thing I got to out west style hunting.

But, the average eastern whitetail hunter sets over bait on their 12 acres. Trying to grow the trophy they want. So, there is no way they are going to put 5 plus miles of walking in to kill a deer in their hone state

They’ll save that effort for western hunts. Where they can hike in, glass and see their prey, develop a plan, and go Kill it. It’s just a lot more fun.

It’s time for the western hunter to realize there is a reason few cone east chasing their dream hunt. And, it has zero to do with anything Randy.

Last edited:
We were told right here on Rokslide by Randy that there's no money in it.

So, the influencers just must like having people dry humping their leg
That may be true for Randy but he is the exception not the rule. Most of the other hunting insta celeb influencers are partnered with industry manufacturers and companies, along with selling their own swag. The intent is to generate more interest, sell more tags and in turn sell more gear. Pretty basic economic model, only downside is it drives demand way up on a finite, public resource, wild game. In turn you see point creep and decreased opportunity for NR hunters. If you’re upset about it push for changes with game fish/parks wildlife agencies and stop buying their gear/merchandise. Monetization of the public resource is truly the issue and it comes in many forms: “hunting industry”, outfitter set asides, transferable landowner tags, etc.

Maybe you should start paying attention to the influencers, they tend to hunt a lot with tags you say aren't available?

My concern over the last couple decades has been having TOO MNAY tags...this past season being no exception. I also left plenty of opportunity on the table and NR tags unpurchased.

Not sure how it is guys aren't finding enough tags to keep them busy...probably watching too many youtube videos?
I’m confused….. you just said you have too many tags as a WY resident but you also continue to push for more LE tags for WY residents and less for non resident hunters? Oh the plight of the WY resident hunter, must be awful with all those tags….. gotta change that allocation!

Reactions: OMB

tdhanses

WKR
I’m confused….. you just said you have too many tags as a WY resident but you also continue to push for more LE tags for WY residents and less for non resident hunters? Oh the plight of the WY resident hunter, must be awful with all those tags….. gotta change that allocation!
Because he doesn’t have enough trophy tags he can easily get, it’s about trophy hunting and more opportunities at it.

Can’t fault him, doesn’t mean I agree but if they cut NR LE tags 50% they increase resident odds 1%.

Logan T

WKR
That’s what he’s been doing all this for. Trying to protect huntings future on public lands. That’s been his goal from day one. And, presenting how to get further involved in that is a 2000% fail proof way of getting hunter representation.

If you don't think his goal from Day 1 was to try and make money off of hunting, or become famous / create a following for himself, or something along those lines then you should ask Randy why in his inaugural season he LIED repeatedly into the camera about how he was hunting on public land when in REALITY he was on private land in at least a couple episodes. Including what could have been the very first hunting episode he filmed, and if it wasn't the first then it was the 2nd episode as it was a spring bear hunt. One that when it was stated in comments of the video that he was on private land the whole hunt, including when he killed the bear, he removed from You Tube within 24 hours.

He also was in the same spot on another hunt, giving Holier Than Thou sermons about doing the right things, the right ways, no short cuts, yada yada while again, lying, calling it public land when in fact it was private land that he well knew was private land. This is just in his 1st year. So why would someone who's not doing it for the money, or following, repeatedly lie to his audience about where he was hunting? Why would he say "We're here on public land, a place that you yourself can come hunt" when he wasn't?? Looking through objective lenses, I would have to say it's because for no other reason than he wanted a following.

Watch this link before he pulls it. Specifically the first 6 minutes 30 seconds. How many times does he say he is on public land? The speech I mentioned about the right way, no short cuts, blah blah blah runs from 5:54 thru 6:30. But watch close from 5:30 thru 6:30. He gives that entire speech while sitting on private property, but telling his audience its public ground. He is literally sitting there on private ground. Hell he even has his buddy Bart saying they were on public land for both of these specific hunts. Lots of lies for his first season of filming. How would I know?? I grew up across the fence from where the elk hunt took place. Within a year or two of him filming these two hunts, the ranch I grew up on bought the property that he was standing on when he gave the speech in the video and where he killed the bear.

Randy has no doubt done a lot of good things for hunting and advocacy. But he also created a false narrative from the beginning of his filming. For Randy to so spitefully be against guides and outfitters, but then do exactly what guides do and take people out and have them literally follow him up the mountain, is a double standard. And then blow up spots with zero care of what scenery he films.

Randy, if you read this, again, I am not saying you're a terrible person. You have done a lot of good, more than most people including myself. I am just stating reasons as to why people call BS when you say "its never been for the money or following".

If you don't think his goal from Day 1 was to try and make money off of hunting, or become famous / create a following for himself, or something along those lines then you should ask Randy why in his inaugural season he LIED repeatedly into the camera about how he was hunting on public land when in REALITY he was on private land in at least a couple episodes. Including what could have been the very first hunting episode he filmed, and if it wasn't the first then it was the 2nd episode as it was a spring bear hunt. One that when it was stated in comments of the video that he was on private land the whole hunt, including when he killed the bear, he removed from You Tube within 24 hours.

He also was in the same spot on another hunt, giving Holier Than Thou sermons about doing the right things, the right ways, no short cuts, yada yada while again, lying, calling it public land when in fact it was private land that he well knew was private land. This is just in his 1st year. So why would someone who's not doing it for the money, or following, repeatedly lie to his audience about where he was hunting? Why would he say "We're here on public land, a place that you yourself can come hunt" when he wasn't?? Looking through objective lenses, I would have to say it's because for no other reason than he wanted a following.

Watch this link before he pulls it. Specifically the first 6 minutes 30 seconds. How many times does he say he is on public land? The speech I mentioned about the right way, no short cuts, blah blah blah runs from 5:54 thru 6:30. But watch close from 5:30 thru 6:30. He gives that entire speech while sitting on private property, but telling his audience its public ground. He is literally sitting there on private ground. Hell he even has his buddy Bart saying they were on public land for both of these specific hunts. Lots of lies for his first season of filming. How would I know?? I grew up across the fence from where the elk hunt took place. Within a year or two of him filming these two hunts, the ranch I grew up on bought the property that he was standing on when he gave the speech in the video and where he killed the bear.

Randy has no doubt done a lot of good things for hunting and advocacy. But he also created a false narrative from the beginning of his filming. For Randy to so spitefully be against guides and outfitters, but then do exactly what guides do and take people out and have them literally follow him up the mountain, is a double standard. And then blow up spots with zero care of what scenery he films.

Randy, if you read this, again, I am not saying you're a terrible person. You have done a lot of good, more than most people including myself. I am just stating reasons as to why people call BS when you say "its never been for the money or following".
Let me say this from my perspective. Which I feel is 100% correct. Not because it’s mine. Because it’s the way it is.

I’m as conservative a human being alive. Morally, fiscally, socially, etc…. I’m also as outspoken and loud about the dangers that Groups like the BHA propose for hunting’s future. I’ve been dogging their ass for 10 years on hunting forums.

State chapters consisting of many great hunting brothers. Headed by a corporate office that politically ties itself with political ideology that goes against my core beliefs. From natural resource management to beliefs on storied hunting methods.

I’m a licensed professional forester, with over 20 years experience working for government and private industry. My degree was in forestry natural resource management. I’ve been around the block on both sides of the spectrum. Concerning simple wildlife management topics, water resources, timber and fossil fuel procurement and reclamation, timer harvesting, habitat improvement practices, etc…. Everything involved with the bigger picture associated with managing an eco system.

After being exposed to these topics from both sides, I found my role in both sectors inevitably found me using that experience to try and educate others that we had better get some advocates for hunters on public ground. Or, we weren’t going to have that right much longer.

It started as a job responsibility when employed by the government, to acting as a consultant for private entry interests owning mineral or resource rights on national forests. While I rarely do natural resource consulting anymore, I’m am very much up to date on the laws that protect huntings futures on public lands. I’m very up to date on the procedures currently in place that ensure we are granted those rights. And, I have a slightly different perspective on the dangers facing public land hunting then the BHA. And, even what Randy has expressed in the past.

I tell you all that so you’ll hopefully understand that I’m not being dubbed by persons. I’m not being fooled by punchlines. Or, a cool hunting show or host. Or, why each one has done what they did/do.

I’ve never met Randy Newburg. Never. I’ve interacted with him on several hunting forums. Which, is where I may differ from his ideas on what the word conservation truly means. I don’t know that for sure. Only saying preservation of natural resources should in no way be associated with the idea of conservation that these groups preach in many instances.

So, I’m not selling out to an idea of his or anyone else’s. I don’t take his perceived acceptance of such action as the defining reason to dismiss his never hidden intent. Nor do I proclaim it’s his personal belief either. I’m just saying I’m not afraid to point any of that out. To anyone. Including him.

However, I’m also smart enough to understand that in his attempt to accomplish representation for hunters interests on public lands, we need to address every ear. So, while I had the luxury of stepping away from all that, he’s assumed that role with intent.

With that comes a away to reach people. That requires money. That also requires a brand to associate with in order to receive the amount of money to grow. It requires sponsors. It is basically the kids lemonade stand you drive by occasionally.

It’s just a simple business model that’s required for him to do what he does. No money, no success in accomplishing the goal. So, It’d be plumb stupid to bitch about his making money off doing it. I’m sure being a COA he’s made some coin in his life personally. Probably enough to have gotten through the first two episodes a decade ago. I wander if he used his childhood allowance to pay for the others since then?

Cone on man, get over yourself. The guy has never hidden his intent. He’s not out here acting like land tawney claiming one thing while doing another. He’s never wavered from his first episode.

There is nothing wrong with disagreement. However, he isn’t the enemy nor the cause. And, the good thing is, he has reached a time that he doesn’t need anyone incapable of seeing it.

Logan T

WKR
Cone on man, get over yourself. The guy has never hidden his intent. He’s not out here acting like land tawney claiming one thing while doing another. He’s never wavered from his first episode.

it.

Lol. He LITERALLY was claiming one thing while doing another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor

There are four hunts from Season 1 of On Your Own Adventures that had private land. The other two hunts are a whitetail hunt in MT and a pronghorn hunt in NM.

We started this OYOA with an emphasis on "accessible lands;" ands that we did not have to pay access to hunt. We did hunt primarily on public lands, but we had four episodes in Season 1 that included parts of the hunt on private lands.

After the first two seasons (2008 and 2009) it became obvious that people were most attracted to the hunts on public land. From that feedback, we started doing pretty much all public land hunts.

Yes, I pulled the bear hunt from Season 1. After a YouTube comment, which I suspect was yours, I went back and watched it. When I looked at how it got edited, it did not make reference to the private land we could hunt. Even for the context of our "accessible land" idea at that time, it wasn't done right. Most the public land footage was not used and the final cut was mostly the private land footage. So, I had my crew pull it from YT. I pulled it from our Fresh Tracks+ platform. I don't think it was edited properly. That's on me, as I had final approval when the TV version came from the contract production company we were using.

As for the 2008 elk episode you copied here, the bull was shot on public and most of the hunt was on public. A lot of the glassing time, scripted hiking shots, re-enactments, and interviews were done on private land.

Your point is valid and helpful, especially in the context of what our platforms are today. I will go back and look at that episode. If it doesn't explain the story properly, I will pull that also. And if you, or others, think the MT whitetail hunt and the NM pronghorn hunts from Season 1 don't tell the story properly, I'd pull those. The way those older hunts are viewed against our last decade of public land hunts needs to be considered.

It might not be fun for me to go back and watch some of our early work. But, when I mess up, I need to be called out.

If people find other old episodes that they don't think are a fair representation of the hunt, even in the context of what our platforms are today, I hope they will bring those up. I will probably go back and watch the entire 2008 and 2009 OYOA seasons, especially the one you posted here, along with the MT whitetail hunt and the NM pronghorn hunt.

Ha.

Ha ha.

Hahahahahaha

Dude I thought I was the only one who caught this bullshit! He’s got a spring bear hunt episode on YouTube that takes place entirely on private property save for the cabin they’re renting. Claims that “anyone can do this hunt” and yet is hunting on private.

Matt Rinella is right and I’ll stand by that all day long. Anyone who posts pictures of themselves shooting animals online is looking for an ego boost point blank. They might say “oh well I just like to share my experiences” but when it’s boiled down they want an ego boost.

The nuance missed by many that got their panties bunched up was that it wasn’t directed at the guy sharing a photo on Facebook with his close friends, but the guy posting publicly on IG, in Facebook groups, on forums full of strangers, and YouTube videos. What’s the point of sharing if you’re not looking for likes or views? Exactly - there is no point.