Stop it. We don't need this anymore.

541hunter

WKR
I’m reading a lot of accusations regarding someone’s intentions. How do you know his intentions? This whole thread is based on very broad assumptions. We all know what happens when you assume! Get over yourselves. Randy and only Randy will ever know his true intentions. The rest of us only have the option of taking him at his word based on his actions. I have watched quite a bit of his content. I have seen no reason not to believe him and in fact I have found quite the opposite. And quit talking about his finances, none of us have any clue about them and have no way of learning.

Last edited:

Logan T

WKR
There are four hunts from Season 1 of On Your Own Adventures that had private land. The other two hunts are a whitetail hunt in MT and a pronghorn hunt in NM.

We started this OYOA with an emphasis on "accessible lands;" ands that we did not have to pay access to hunt. We did hunt primarily on public lands, but we had four episodes in Season 1 that included parts of the hunt on private lands.

After the first two seasons (2008 and 2009) it became obvious that people were most attracted to the hunts on public land. From that feedback, we started doing pretty much all public land hunts.

Yes, I pulled the bear hunt from Season 1. After a YouTube comment, which I suspect was yours, I went back and watched it. When I looked at how it got edited, it did not make reference to the private land we could hunt. Even for the context of our "accessible land" idea at that time, it wasn't done right. Most the public land footage was not used and the final cut was mostly the private land footage. So, I had my crew pull it from YT. I pulled it from our Fresh Tracks+ platform. I don't think it was edited properly. That's on me, as I had final approval when the TV version came from the contract production company we were using.

As for the 2008 elk episode you copied here, the bull was shot on public and most of the hunt was on public. A lot of the glassing time, scripted hiking shots, re-enactments, and interviews were done on private land.

Your point is valid and helpful, especially in the context of what our platforms are today. I will go back and look at that episode. If it doesn't explain the story properly, I will pull that also. And if you, or others, think the MT whitetail hunt and the NM pronghorn hunts from Season 1 don't tell the story properly, I'd pull those. The way those older hunts are viewed against our last decade of public land hunts needs to be considered.

It might not be fun for me to go back and watch some of our early work. But, when I mess up, I need to be called out.

If people find other old episodes that they don't think are a fair representation of the hunt, even in the context of what our platforms are today, I hope they will bring those up. I will probably go back and watch the entire 2008 and 2009 OYOA seasons, especially the one you posted here, along with the MT whitetail hunt and the NM pronghorn hunt.
Randy, its not the fact whether or not I think they are "a fair representation of the hunt" like you state/ask. It is the fact that you repeatedly said you were on public ground, when you clearly were not. In my own words, you basically stated, "Hey everyone, come out here and hunt like I do, where I do, on this ground that is yours, just like this" when in fact it was not only private land, it definitely was NOT "accessible" to the general public like you are now saying to. Mr. C.R. (landowner and really good friend of my family's) didn't let just anyone in there. "That" is where what I'm talking about comes into relation with the subject of this thread, for me.

My point in all of this is that you falsified what you were doing, at least in those two hunts. If you can seriously tell me or anyone that the segment that I specifically mention in the video above ( 1st 6 min 30 seconds, and more specifically 5:30- 6:30) was just an oops, not quite in context of the hunt--- that's ridiculous. You knew where you were and how many times did you specifically state that you were on public land just in the first 6 min 30 seconds? Sir that is not out of context, that's flat out lying. I know the bull in this specific video was killed on public, but the bear sure as heck wasn't and even now you are "out of context" implying the land was available for others to hunt.

I couldn't care less that you had permission to hunt the vickers and olson places (and the 160 where you so often bear hunt and killed that wolf on the B.L.). It is the fact that you represented yourself as one thing when you were doing another. It wasn't what you were advertising. It appears that you were saying all the right things to get your "bag" so you could get paid and take the easy way (private land) while inviting however many people watch your show to hunt the public land (and possibly bump or keep animals on private you had access to.)

Again. You have done more good than many people have when it comes to advocacy and conservation, myself included. But it appears you got your start by "cheating or lying" to your audience and possibly your sponsors. You seem like a good, likable guy..... but actions speak louder than words, and while I personally think it is quite clear that a majority your intentions now are for advocacy and conservation, that sure didn't appear to be the case in the beginning.

When I see hunters complaining about someone "ruining hunting", it isn't hard to see that they are talking about some perceived damage to themselves and their own singular experience, rather than hunting as a whole. In this case, it seems people are upset because others may be enlightened to opportunities that they thought were more secretive yesterday or last year or last decade. Hunting wasn't ruined, they just are threatened by someone else potentially being out there with them.

This right here is EXACTLY what is happening. They are complaining about public opportunities yet many on this thread have specifically pointed out other opportunities at other game, in other states, etc, etc, etc. they are ignoring those because they aren’t “their” spots/units or “their” game animals.

And saying new hunters and the new numbers don’t add up to conservation dollars and advocacy is ludicrous. MASSIVE amounts of money (hundreds of millions of $) every year from license sales, ammo sales, firearm sales, outdoor gear, etc goes to lobby groups, advocacy programs, habitat enhancement and other conservation efforts. Stupid argument.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
Most gripes on here are about getting permits and crowded hunting areas and lack of trophy animals.

Why do guys care about getting more hunters into the game when it is only gonna hurt themselves? Why? - That's what the hunting media has told you to do. LOL! We need to push for more hunters. Then the impressionable hunters start parroting what they heard.

Then we get guys traveling across the country and shooting a sub-100 pound fork horn when they talked long and hard about climbing that mountain and shooting a B&C buck. The forkie came out on the trail near their truck when they gave up after 3 days away from momma and seeing 30 other hunters up on the mountain. Dang it! Not going home empty handed. It is a hard awakening to see that the videos do not often present real western hunting.

It's fun and everyone should go - just adjust your attitude to it being a fun hunting vacation as opposed to conquering the mountains and shooting a B&C monster. If the hunt area has a 20% success rate, then expect that 1 in 5 will kill. Most kills are nice representative trophies and there's nothing wrong with that.

Funny how people will say actions are more than words and only focus on actions from 14 years ago and get hung up on that, and disregard everything after that. Even when that persons has taken responsibility on this very thread.

BuzzH

WKR
I’m confused….. you just said you have too many tags as a WY resident but you also continue to push for more LE tags for WY residents and less for non resident hunters? Oh the plight of the WY resident hunter, must be awful with all those tags….. gotta change that allocation!
Not sure what there is for you to be confused about.

Pretty simple hierarchy of how I want our wildlife allocated in Wyoming.

1. Residents
2. Non-Residents

That's the way it works in nearly every state in the US, based on tag availability, price, etc. they all favor the Resident hunter.

Most all states are a 90-10 (or less) split for their high demand tags. Not sure why it would be confusing to you that Wyoming Residents would want similar splits. Seems intuitively obvious, even to the most casual observer.

541hunter

WKR
I’ll go and assume you were directing that at me. I know that’s what you advised against. However, the irony was so thick I couldn’t dismiss it.

I know his intentions based on 10 years worth of footage to support his claims. I take people for their words especially if they have actions supporting them. I don’t know his finances either. Nor do I want to. However, I do think about things logically and, wander about anyone who doesn’t.

Mad at him. Don’t watch. But, there’s been a lot of big boy pants put on in this thread. I hope it’s legitimate and not an example of whinny attitudes.

That’s the way I feel. This whole thread has accused the man of whoreing out resources on public land. If it’s ok to accuse him of such, it’s more then ok and disagree with the dumb accusations some have posted. Unless of course, you don’t agree.

It was not at all aimed at you. I 100% agree with your sentiment. My comments were aimed at those you assumed he is in it for the money and that is his primary motivation.

541hunter

WKR
I’ll go and assume you were directing that at me. I know that’s what you advised against. However, the irony was so thick I couldn’t dismiss it.

I know his intentions based on 10 years worth of footage to support his claims. I take people for their words especially if they have actions supporting them. I don’t know his finances either. Nor do I want to. However, I do think about things logically and, wander about anyone who doesn’t.

Mad at him. Don’t watch. But, there’s been a lot of big boy pants put on in this thread. I hope it’s legitimate and not an example of whinny attitudes.

That’s the way I feel. This whole thread has accused the man of whoreing out resources on public land. If it’s ok to accuse him of such, it’s more then ok and disagree with the dumb accusations some have posted. Unless of course, you don’t agree.

I had a typo my original post and left out a very important word that changed the meaning of my post. I edited it and it should now read “I have no reason to not believe him…”

Not sure what there is for you to be confused about.

Pretty simple hierarchy of how I want our wildlife allocated in Wyoming.

1. Residents
2. Non-Residents

That's the way it works in nearly every state in the US, based on tag availability, price, etc. they all favor the Resident hunter.

Most all states are a 90-10 (or less) split for their high demand tags. Not sure why it would be confusing to you that Wyoming Residents would want similar splits. Seems intuitively obvious, even to the most casual observer.
Yep got it, now it’s totally clear. I was just confused why someone with TOO many tags would want more tags. But you don’t want more tags, you want more better tags.
Hierarchy
1. All premium tags to residents until they are completely satisfied
2. Whatever is leftover can go to non-residents

Did Colorado go to 90-10? Must have missed that. Colorado makes up a pretty significant share of the western big game hunting opportunities based on tags issued. Wish you and your pal Rob Shaul best of luck in your crusade to keep out the DIY non-resident hunter.

BuzzH

WKR
Yep got it, now it’s totally clear. I was just confused why someone with TOO many tags would want more tags. But you don’t want more tags, you want more better tags.
Hierarchy
1. All premium tags to residents until they are completely satisfied
2. Whatever is leftover can go to non-residents

Did Colorado go to 90-10? Must have missed that. Colorado makes up a pretty significant share of the western big game hunting opportunities based on tags issued. Wish you and your pal Rob Shaul best of luck in your crusade to keep out the DIY non-resident hunter.
Sounds like Colorado is perfect for you...good luck on your hunts there.

Sounds like Colorado is perfect for you...good luck on your hunts there.
Thanks. I wouldn’t say it’s perfect but after living in a lot of other places I am very grateful for the resident hunting opportunities afforded here. We have our hands full trying to keep the anti- hunters at bay.

Logan T

WKR
It was not at all aimed at you. I 100% agree with your sentiment. My comments were aimed at those you assumed he is in it for the money and that is his primary motivation.
If this was aimed my way….

If you, WV and browning would actually watch the clips I mentioned, and then read my whole comment, then read Randy’s reply, and then my second comment, you would see I’m not assuming anything. More “influencers“ than I can count have been called out on Rokslide for things they have done. I’m not making crap up. And it wasn’t a mistake or taken out of context. Watch it. And i guess maybe try to use some deductive reasoning as to why he did that.

But because Randy seems like a good guy and doesn’t wear a flat brim, and does good things too… that means that a person can’t question or point out the FACT that the foundational year of his program he purposely lied to his audience??. Check, understood.… pshh.

If you read my entire post, you would have seen that I gave him credit multiple times for things he has done to enhance and advocate for hunting and wildlife. Instead you are the one assuming.

Or maybe I need to lay out my entire educational and life experiences like WV in order for you to read my comments. Seriously. Watch the clips. See what I’m talking about, while paying Randy $.0005 per view.

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
RMEF in December 2013 had 203,000 member in December of 2018 (latest number I can find) over 235000. Over 10% increase.

The funds from hunting licenses of non residents, which are widely unsuccessful i.e. most elk hunts have less than 15% success for non residents during rifle. 5% typically through archery.. a non residents elk only tag will normally be in the 800-1200$ range a residents elk,deer, antelope,bear is usually sub $200..

To say that non residents are not contributing to the cause and that more hunters doesn't mean more advocates is false...

When is the last time you and your group of local hunting buddies spent time at your state legislature to advocate for your hunting rights or donated to a charitable organization that does the same? Not a attack on you just a question.

Residents have an overwhelming advantage both monetarily and by virtue of location. I have no problem with that. To say non residents don't do their fair share is false though. Clearly the spike in numbers, license sales, local sales traveling through, conservation group membership etc contradicts that claim...

Something about having a plank in your own eye worrying about a speck in someone else's... Non residents are not the problem here...
Nobody has yet acknowledged this comment, but an increase in membership along with new hunters isn't hard to believe. It's a bigger stretch to think that new hunters aren't interested in conservation and wouldn't join/contribute to these organizations.

I'm hard pressed to believe that someone decides to apply for tags because of a Newberg How To video or any similar online content. That person has ALREADY DECIDED to apply out of state for OTC or controlled tags. They may watch a video to get tips/deadlines/etc, check Rokslide for similar post, may create a new thread for help, contact that state's fish & game department, consult with a biologist, consult with friends or family. Point is, there is a plethora of means to obtain information on out of state hunts (OTC or controlled). Newberg is one of them. I have no issue with that.

Bighorner

WKR
@Randy Newberg , not to beat an dead horse, but I would really appreciate a how to be a respectful hunter on private land video. I dont mean leave the gates as you found them, but that is a good one. Things like were not to leave your carcasses (don't fill a farmers burn barrel with geese carcasses), stay of muddy roads that will be rutted up all winter, dont park in front of equipment/gates even if it hasn't moved all year, don't just assume the guy wants a fifth of whiskey (even though it is a nice gesture). This is the stuff that keeps shutting down access. I know that most of these things are not done intentionally and some people just dont know better. I know that's a money loser, but if you want to make dollars telling folks how to get tags out here, I would really like you to use your platform to tell them how to keep the limited opportunities on private ground we do have open. Thank you.