Stop it. We don't need this anymore.

def90

WKR
I'll have to ask my mentor if he got me into hunting to make an extra buck or two for himself.

He still doesn't sell T shirts or have a site to smash and subscribe so I'm guessing that wasn't his motivation. Comparing the two way separate things sure doesn't sit well with me.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

A lot of people don't have "mentors" or people willing to help them out, I know I didn't, even asking basic questions on a dedicated hunting site like this many times gives you a shit sandwich in return. You know that hunting videos on youtube are generally demonetized right? Also, you were lucky, you had a guy show you the ropes, Is your mentor willing to put out a free video showing people how to get in to hunting and how to apply for a tag? Are you willing to help the next guy in line?

Ten Bears

WKR
A lot of people don't have "mentors" or people willing to help them out, I know I didn't, even asking basic questions on a dedicated hunting site like this many times gives you a shit sandwich in return. You know that hunting videos on youtube are generally demonetized right? Also, you were lucky, you had a guy show you the ropes, Is your mentor willing to put out a free video showing people how to get in to hunting and how to apply for a tag? Are you willing to help the next guy in line?
you really think Randy, Gohunt, Meateater, aren’t making money off this ? content from videos is just that, it’s part of the brand that generates income.

Do you really need a “masterclass” for online scouting, learning to apply or whatever the hell that means, locating sleeper units etc. Go get in the woods, join a group, call the state biologist, learn habitat, get outside, just like the countless people before the internet did to actually absorb the experience. I promise it ain’t that hard.

more often than not folks on this site bend over backwards to give help. clothing, rifle info, bow tuning, boots, optic advice, you name it. when it comes to unit stuff ? thats a no go for good reason.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
He would no hesitation to take a complete stranger to his best shot spot so they could be successful, infact he's done exactly that more time than I can count. Never angry when that person abuses his trust the next season now that killing stuff is as easy as showing up. Definitely a better human than me.

I'd hope even he would think twice if all they wanted was a picture for the gram.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Ralphie

WKR
you really think Randy, Gohunt, Meateater, aren’t making money off this ? content from videos is just that, it’s part of the brand that generates income.

Do you really need a “masterclass” for online scouting, learning to apply or whatever the hell that means, locating sleeper units etc. Go get in the woods, join a group, call the state biologist, learn habitat, get outside, just like the countless people before the internet did to actually absorb the experience. I promise it ain’t that hard.

more often than not folks on this site bend over backwards to give help. clothing, rifle info, bow tuning, boots, optic advice, you name it. when it comes to unit stuff ? thats a no go for good reason.
Funny all I ever see is how cool DIY is. Yet no one anymore seems to be able to DIY getting their own tag or even what to wear. The influencers that preach DIY public hunting are making big bucks off of holding your hand through every little step. What does DIY stand for again.

Lots of us grew up learning to apply and hunt without the internet and without mentors.

But the pie will be bigger. Show me one pie that is bigger now relative to the number of pie eaters.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Well, if Randy's "how to get a tag" videos are ruining it for everybody it sure doesn't seem like it. Go to any Colorado elk forum or facebook page and there is a daily post from someone that doesn't understand how to get a tag. Everybody has to start somewhere. Would like to know where the OP started? Maybe he was lucky and he grew up with it? Some people are just getting started and don't have the convenience of daddy showing them how so I guess Randy hecomes daddy.
I did not grow up with it. I did not have any big game hunters in my family. I figured it out on my own. It’s something called reading. It’s a forgotten art form now apparently. There was a paper book (wow, gasp!) and it had all the info anyone needed to apply. And it still does. And you had to write a check (again, gasp!). And even read a map! Imagine the horror and the pain of having to read something to figure something out. Oh those poor millennial brains! Snowflakes these days need Randy and the like since reading and research just hurts too much!

I did not grow up with it. I did not have any big game hunters in my family. I figured it out on my own. It’s something called reading. It’s a forgotten art form now apparently. There was a paper book (wow, gasp!) and it had all the info anyone needed to apply. And it still does. And you had to write a check (again, gasp!). And even read a map! Imagine the horror and the pain of having to read something to figure something out. Oh those poor millennial brains! Snowflakes these days need Randy and the like since reading and research just hurts too much!
You do realize that looking something up on the internet, YouTube, hunting forum is research? It’s just in a different format. It’s not a book or a paper copy, but someone still had to take the time look up “How do I apply for a tag?” And then sit down and watch the video or read through the blog/forum posts.

Watching a YouTube video about hunting or application strategies is not hand holding. It’s utilizing modern technology and platforms to help you gain more insight on a subject. Handholding would be hiring someone to do all that work for you and then you just show up and pull the trigger.

I work in the medical field. I watch a lot of videos on how to perform procedures. Does that make me lazier than someone who,20 years ago, had to read a book about how to do a procedure? I don’t think so.

Tod osier

WKR
You do realize that looking something up on the internet, YouTube, hunting forum is research? It’s just in a different format. It’s not a book or a paper copy, but someone still had to take the time look up “How do I apply for a tag?” And then sit down and watch the video or read through the blog/forum posts.

Watching a YouTube video about hunting or application strategies is not hand holding. It’s utilizing modern technology and platforms to help you gain more insight on a subject. Handholding would be hiring someone to do all that work for you and then you just show up and pull the trigger.

I work in the medical field. I watch a lot of videos on how to perform procedures. Does that make me lazier than someone who,20 years ago, had to read a book about how to do a procedure? I don’t think so.

You are focused on the recipient, many, if not most of us, are focused on the content provider - that is where the problem is. Making money and lining their pockets off our shared resource and as a result decreasing the quality of the experience for everyone. I have absolutely no problem with someone who consumes content or someone who provides non-specific content that doesn't result in financial gain. I've consumed a lot of content over the years, the most specific content that was most useful (to the point of detracting from the quality of the experience due to the specificity making it too easy) has been books in the old days. The reach and allure of those books, however, pales in comparison to youtube.

Somebody like Randy saying that he doesn't make any money (or hardly anything or however he phrases it) off X, Y or Z video drives me nuts. He is providing content to line his pockets at our collective expense. I'm not saying he is lying, I fully believe that video "X" may not be monetized in a way that directly results in jingle in his pocket, but it is part of the package that he offers to his sponsors to further pimp their product - all based on using public land for personal gain. I have no doubt that he is a great guy, cares a ton about all kinds of important stuff, but it is disingenuous as hell for him to pretend that he isn't a businessman making money off our public lands.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR

Nice try.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Funny all I ever see is how cool DIY is. Yet no one anymore seems to be able to DIY getting their own tag or even what to wear. The influencers that preach DIY public hunting are making big bucks off of holding your hand through every little step. What does DIY stand for again.

Lots of us grew up learning to apply and hunt without the internet and without mentors.

But the pie will be bigger. Show me one pie that is bigger now relative to the number of pie eaters.
Great post. I'd say most people think they are DIY as long as they don't go on a "guided hunt". But the reality is they didn't do it themselves. Especially true for anyone scouring forums or pay websites (gohunt, huntinfool, etc.) for info on or about units.

You are focused on the recipient, many, if not most of us, are focused on the content provider - that is where the problem is. Making money and lining their pockets off our shared resource and as a result decreasing the quality of the experience for everyone. I have absolutely no problem with someone who consumes content or someone who provides non-specific content that doesn't result in financial gain. I've consumed a lot of content over the years, the most specific content that was most useful (to the point of detracting from the quality of the experience due to the specificity making it too easy) has been books in the old days. The reach and allure of those books, however, pales in comparison to youtube.

Somebody like Randy saying that he doesn't make any money (or hardly anything or however he phrases it) off X, Y or Z video drives me nuts. He is providing content to line his pockets at our collective expense. I'm not saying he is lying, I fully believe that video "X" may not be monetized in a way that directly results in jingle in his pocket, but it is part of the package that he offers to his sponsors to further pimp their product - all based on using public land for personal gain. I have no doubt that he is a great guy, cares a ton about all kinds of important stuff, but it is disingenuous as hell for him to pretend that he isn't a businessman making money off our public lands.
I don’t care if people want to make a buck off of hunting. Good for those guys. They took their passion and figured out to make money off it. They aren’t doing anything wrong. It’s called capitalism and the American business model. As long as they aren’t doing anything illegal, then I say more power to them.

Are there content provides out there who got into this purely for the money? Sure. But those people don’t last long. They either A. Break a bunch of laws to get as much content as possible and then get caught or B. Realize that it’s not as a lucrative of a business as they think it is and flame out.

It’s always the same old story from generation to generation. “Back in my day everything was harder”. Or “Back in my day hunting wasn’t a business.”

Hunting has been a business for generations. And it’s ever expanding business.

Tod osier

WKR
I don’t care if people want to make a buck off of hunting. Good for those guys. They took their passion and figured out to make money off it. They aren’t doing anything wrong. It’s called capitalism and the American business model. As long as they aren’t doing anything illegal, then I say more power to them.

Are there content provides out there who got into this purely for the money? Sure. But those people don’t last long. They either A. Break a bunch of laws to get as much content as possible and then get caught or B. Realize that it’s not as a lucrative of a business as they think it is and flame out.

It’s always the same old story from generation to generation. “Back in my day everything was harder”. Or “Back in my day hunting wasn’t a business.”

While I couldn't have less interest in ever making a buck off hunting, I have no problem with someone who does. That is, unless they take substantial opportunity away from everyone else to line their pockets (and especially if they say that they aren't doing it for the money when they obviously are).

Gobbler36

WKR

Sure we’ll just pat them on the back until we can’t get tags for anything but once every 5-10 years all while they have sponsors to pay for their applications and their hunts on private etc to make sure and keep hunting alive and well

Gotta make sure people know about their public lands……

Give me a break

Reactions: OMB
Sure we’ll just pat them on the back until we can’t get tags for anything but once every 5-10 years all while they have sponsors to pay for their applications and their hunts on private etc to make sure and keep hunting alive and well

Gotta make sure people know about their public lands……

Give me a break
Legitimate question?

Should all public lands be banned from activities that lead to monetary gain?

On YouTube alone there are thousands of channels where content providers use public land for not just hunting but fishing, mountain biking, 4 wheeling, hiking, camping, running, hunting shrooms, ginseng hunting, climbing, bouldering, skiing, and a host of other activities.

Legitimate question?

Should all public lands be banned from activities that lead to monetary gain?
I know you're being rhetorical and this isn't your view, but interesting thought. And where is the line for people who believe this? Does it include making money off transporting and/or guiding on public land? Most of Alaska would be out of reach for pretty much everyone without transporters. What about river fishing guides? Those are public waters.

I know you're being rhetorical and this isn't your view, but interesting thought. And where is the line for people who believe this? Does it include making money off transporting and/or guiding on public land? Most of Alaska would be out of reach for pretty much everyone without transporters. What about river fishing guides? Those are public waters.
Yea, I asked the question to make people think a little bit.

There are many on here who obviously upset that YouTube/instagram hunters are utilizing public lands to make money.

So I just wanted to know how upset they were at all the other people who using public land to make money. I wonder if they are mad at cattle farmers??

The reality is, it’s public land. Anyone could go out there and utilize it for any reason, video it, post it on YouTube and potentially make money.

And I think some people need to go and look up how much money these people really make. It’s not that much. They ain’t living pay check to pay check but they ain’t living like Bill Gates either.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Can’t people just get real jobs? Hell, the workforce needs you! Pick a trade, any of em, and you’ll easily find good honest work with good pay. I don’t care if you make money or not. I don’t even care if it’s millions. “Producing content” or any some such BS is not a damn job! Get your ass out of your jammies, put down the bong, learn something useful and go make an honest living. That’s what America needs.