Stop saying “but”

Beendare

WKR
Good point T the D....we still see posts of guys coming on the site asking in regards to what bull they should hold out for on their first archery elk hunt. The reality makes it entertaining at this point.

Peer pressure....

When you've been around long enough....that ceases to matter.

IMG_0359.JPGMeat hunter myself..... farmers and the insurance companies need all the help they can get!!!!! Know lots of folks who target a particular deer...... don't have the time or the patience....... use the trail camera to see what the doe population is and then pick out the mid-size ones........ usually take two a year - maybe three this year depending on the heard........ no if, an's or BUT'S.......

elkyinzer

WKR
I'm perfectly fine with feeling that way. I like big bucks and I cannot lie, but in the fourth quarter I'll kill a 2.5 yo slumpbuster and eat him with no regrets. If every animal is your personal best, you are going to be eating a lot of tags in short order. I just think the oversharing/social media in general is real the issue here.

OP
Trumpkin The Dwarf
I'm perfectly fine with feeling that way. I like big bucks and I cannot lie, but in the fourth quarter I'll kill a 2.5 yo slumpbuster and eat him with no regrets. If every animal is your personal best, you are going to be eating a lot of tags in short order. I just think the oversharing/social media in general is real the issue here.

I think you have the right attitude. I'm not saying shoot your biggest buck ever or go home empty handed, nor that you shouldn't chase big bucks. @robby denning is a classic big buck hunter, and kind of a hero here. But I've never seen him remorseful for killing something. He's always grateful for what he finds, and has the mental fortitude to pass on bucks that he doesn't want to kill.

Anyways, you're not showing any remorse about killing a smaller deer! It's the regret at shooting something "not big enough" that's an issue. I think we hunters are unintentionally creating some bad ideology by constantly apologizing for not killing a monster.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I think you have the right attitude. I'm not saying shoot your biggest buck ever or go home empty handed, nor that you shouldn't chase big bucks. @robby denning is a classic big buck hunter, and kind of a hero here. But I've never seen him remorseful for killing something. He's always grateful for what he finds, and has the mental fortitude to pass on bucks that he doesn't want to kill.

Anyways, you're not showing any remorse about killing a smaller deer! It's the regret at shooting something "not big enough" that's an issue. I think we hunters are unintentionally creating some bad ideology by constantly apologizing for not killing a monster.

Thanks man. That’s why I like your post. I learned to appreciate that If we shoot any animal, that is a gift from God and we should treat it as such. There were a few I wished for bigger, but then I realized what a selfish attitude that was as I was the trigger puller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozyclint

WKR
you see it in fishing all the time too.

dude catches a nice fish, is ecstatic and happy. he lays it on a measuring mat and it's 1/2" shorter than some predetermined measure of 'success'. suddenly he is sad and disappointed.

dude, you caught a nice fish, enjoy that for what it is.

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
you see it in fishing all the time too.

dude catches a nice fish, is ecstatic and happy. he lays it on a measuring mat and it's 1/2" shorter than some predetermined measure of 'success'. suddenly he is sad and disappointed.

dude, you caught a nice fish, enjoy that for what it is.

A 19.5 aint no 20!

My issues are different with it. We have guys that shoot small bucks instead of shooting a doe. Where I am it's an over population problem. I go a year or two without shooting a buck sometimes. I hammer the does.

I was in an outdoor store one time in Colorado and a guy was complaining about people coming in and shooting the small bulls. I told him I get it, back home I'm a trophy hunter. When I come out here elk hunting I'm generally shooting the first legal thing I can. Sorry just how it is. I'm proud of my success rate, not the scores.

Rangerpants

Lil-Rokslider
Every animal I take represents a lot of effort, years of practice, and dozens of meals, so I see no reason not to be proud of the little ones. Everyone can and should have their own standards, but those are mine. Good luck to all in finding the animals they will be proud of this year.

Gobbler36

WKR
I love big ones and small ones!...........

That’s what she said

Seriously, I love the thought of looking and holding out for bigger more mature animals, but after I hike my ass off and a 2 point busts out, I typically see how week of a mind I have when there’s room in my freezer and I happily oblige to fill it..... unapologetically

AKBorn

WKR
Been hunting big game since I was 9, am 59 now, have never learned how to score or measure an animal, other than if it's legal or not. The only animal I ever measured was a bull moose in Alaska, because I was hunting that year in a unit where it had to be 50" or 4 brow tines, and my bull only had 3 brow tines.

Happy to say he was a legal bull, and I hope he's the only one I ever have to measure...

Because its like they feel they have to justify it somehow if its small.

I would say I’ve killed a few meat bucks because that is exactly what they were. Can’t always get a doe tag and are hunting to fill the freezer not for antlers.

I guess I can understand your point though if they are clearly just looking for validation.

Axlrod

WKR
Thanks man. That’s why I like your post. I learned to appreciate that If we shoot any animal, that is a gift from God and we should treat it as such. There were a few I wished for bigger, but then I realized what a selfish attitude that was as I was the trigger puller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree! and I will raise you one! Just being in the mountains is a gift from god. I can't wait until Sep. 1 -opening day of grouse season followed by archery then rifle. Hunt for 3 months NO "buts" and dang happy to be "out there" !

I just got signed up on a depredation tag here in Nebraska. . . Can take up to 5 whitetail does in August!

They won't be wall hangers. . . BUT they will fill the freezer and feed some local families I know much earlier than my typical November/December doe cull! (I know some frown on the word cull, but when they are throwing twins and triplets and mowing down 60 aces of corn. . . It's basically like shooting small cows!)

I love big animals and definitely shoot them, but I buy tags to try to fill them and the freezer! Only thing off limits are fork horn mulies and that's because our mulies are struggling around here and the forky's in NE are very dumb!

Fully agree that if you are willing to kill it, it's a trophy for you, doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

RemiR7

Lil-Rokslider
Blame social media and the route hunting has gone over the past several years in all aspects and how its all an image/business now. I've witnessed it first hand shooting a younger/smaller animal and catching flak for it as I'm sure everyone has. Chase the Experience, not the inches and stop worrying about your image because truthfully nobody cares.