And while you are at it join

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
initiatives are always a poor way of dealing with wildlife issues :(

Very True!

Every hunter should join the Foundation for wildlife management, hopefully, they will get one going in Montana soon. Just need to get the wording of a law changed. Idaho's chapters are growing better than expected.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Until you see the devastation they create and empty voids of what were once thriving herds of elk and deer you have no idea how things will change and the reality can piss you off...dont let them go anywhere you like to hunt! The harsh reality once there for a decade there is no turning back to reduce them in today’s world in the needed fashion.99D69DAC-7A6A-4879-B0BE-A1A16B9A2DFA.jpeg6265A905-25F0-4CDA-BEF7-095881C6F532.jpegD97B2A7A-17DC-4FFC-AB49-EBE4F1553065.jpeg7CD94E90-9EF3-4039-A97D-DC03B628BC34.jpeg

I still go back and forth on wolf issues. Here Montana the facts are pretty straightforward. We got wolves years ago and they fit well on the landscape. Everywhere I hunt there are resident wolf packs, and I still have no issue killing elk and deer every year. Some guys have been burned because the spot they used to hunt doesn’t hold elk for 2 months straight like it used to. But it was never intended to in the first place as that is not how those ecosystems evolved. I get that frustration, but maybe those folks can start hunting elk instead of hunting spots, I don’t know. If the issue of wolves is that of a process issue then I get that. It didn’t go over well here in Montana the way they did it years ago. There really should be no need to move wolves down there though. They will show up on there own in time, just like grizzly bears will. They would’ve showed up in Montana on their own too out of Canada. In fact they were always there in the Bob. Wolves may seem like doom and gloom but from having gone through it I can assure you it is everything but. Anyhow, just my two cents, fellas! Best of luck out in the woods this season, guys!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you like remote country difficult to hunt with fewer people the truth is the wolves will thrive and devastate those areas as there is no one there to manage them. Throw in dense vegetation and steep terrain and no access in winter the wolves simply kill and don’t stop no way to manage them. I can point you to country that was meant and thrived for decades otc with many 300 inch bulls that once wolves were introduced they slowly changed everything in one decade including the number of hunters because numbers have dwindled and the difficult country leads them to areas south with fewer wolves more hunters but more elk. Ask Ryan the owner of the site about the changes he has seen as we hunt the same area but I am two decades older with 40 yrs in this area. I only continue to hunt here now so I have a chance at wolves and love the country so knowing I may simply eat tags due to what the wolves have done plain and simple. Also you want to see what it takes to kill wolves in the area youtube Brandon pitcher and see the 3 he took opening day and two last year I camp for sheds where his video caught a pack and met trapper this spring he said never seen so much wolf sign and he has trapped a very high number asked him about trapping here he said too difficult and he has trapped for a living for 40 years in north Idaho. If your hardcore they like those places I could simply go down river where they still have cow season and there are many elk as safer around people but that is not my cup of tea🥳

Last edited:
OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I still go back and forth on wolf issues. Here Montana the facts are pretty straightforward. We got wolves years ago and they fit well on the landscape. Everywhere I hunt there are resident wolf packs, and I still have no issue killing elk and deer every year. Some guys have been burned because the spot they used to hunt doesn’t hold elk for 2 months straight like it used to. But it was never intended to in the first place as that is not how those ecosystems evolved. I get that frustration, but maybe those folks can start hunting elk instead of hunting spots, I don’t know. If the issue of wolves is that of a process issue then I get that. It didn’t go over well here in Montana the way they did it years ago. There really should be no need to move wolves down there though. They will show up on there own in time, just like grizzly bears will. They would’ve showed up in Montana on their own too out of Canada. In fact they were always there in the Bob. Wolves may seem like doom and gloom but from having gone through it I can assure you it is everything but. Anyhow, just my two cents, fellas! Best of luck out in the woods this season, guys!

I think some places can weather it better, some can't.. North Idaho is in trouble. The wilderness areas are in trouble. Sure they would have come down on there own but it would have been MUCH slower and easier for the animals to adapt.

wyosam

WKR
I think some places can weather it better, some can't.. North Idaho is in trouble. The wilderness areas are in trouble. Sure they would have come down on there own but it would have been MUCH slower and easier for the animals to adapt.

BS. I’m surrounded by millions of acres of wilderness, that has had wolves for decades now. We hunt elk with easy to get/OTC tags with long seasons, and ridiculously high success rates. The sky is not falling. Elk behavior has changed, and there are some localized herd number drops. Overall, elk are thriving throughout the west, including areas with strong wolf populations. I think people have gotten lazy, and social media has made elk hunting seem easier than reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate that perspective. I can’t speak to it since I don’t know the area and it’s history well, so it’s good to hear what others are seeing and experiencing. Like I said before the wolf issues are tricky and it keeps me thinking. It would probably be disingenuous for me to say that I wouldn’t care much if I started having real troubles harvesting elk because of wolves. So that’s something I try and keep in mind.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
BS. I’m surrounded by millions of acres of wilderness, that has had wolves for decades now. We hunt elk with easy to get/OTC tags with long seasons, and ridiculously high success rates. The sky is not falling. Elk behavior has changed, and there are some localized herd number drops. Overall, elk are thriving throughout the west, including areas with strong wolf populations. I think people have gotten lazy, and social media has made elk hunting seem easier than reality.

Like I said sunshine! Someplace can weather it, some can not. The wilderness in Idaho have been slammed! It doesn’t take a lot of effort to see the down fall of elk in the Selway or the Frank after the land sharks were let loose.

Did you hear that @Ross? You must have gotten lazy, that’s why your not killing elk..

Last edited:

elkduds

WKR
Elk and wolves have the same relationship in every habitat where they cross. CO is not the same as MT, ID, WY, however. There is no empty space on the CO map large enough that wolves can be wolves without overlapping people, livestock, pets and every other conflict that will get them killed. Why bring wolves here to see them killed?Wolves visit this state regularly, under their own wild auspices. But they don't stay. I'm confident wild wolves know where is good for them better than "animal rights advocates," who would see them killed in the name of saving them.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You are naive if you think they haven't wrecked the Frank and the Selway elk herds. The Clearwater herd used to be the stuff dreams were made of, now it's a memory. What changed? Wolves.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
You talk to outfitters in the wilderness areas in Idaho and they talk of hunting in pre 1995 terms and post 1995 terms. Many have given it up, and just because your corner of the world can handle those things doesn't mean every place can. Many outfitters have quit guiding in those areas, no point in wasting valuable resources on a rugged empty landscape.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
Signed petition.

Member and supporter of F4WM.

North and Central Idaho big game populations have been SIGNIFICANTLY impacted by wolves. Markedly impacted over the last several decades. It’s a disgrace. Wolves need aggressive and definitive management in order to insure the health of our remaining ungulate populations. I also understand they’re not the only issue facing our big game species.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Internet keyboard players are funny anyone want to go for a hike in north Idaho I will be happy to show you how lazy I am but will leave you there🥳🏔😜 anyone want to kill wolves I will point you in the right direction and you will then see why they thrive in some pristine elk country

Okhotnik

WKR

You're aware most states cannot manage their exploding populations like Montana ?

Status
Not open for further replies.