Storing powder?

Travis907

WKR
What is the best way to store powder in your reloading room? How do you all store it? Fireproof cabinets?

Just looking for safe ideas! I’m just getting into reloading and will be doing it out of my basement.

Thanks!

I've just kept mine on a shelf underneath my reloading bench for the past 10+ years. The room with my bench is climate controlled but I've never done anything more than that and haven't had any problems so far. Same goes for my primers. To be as safe as possible, it'd probably be smart to have a fireproof cabinet or at least a metal locking cabinet, but that's probably a matter of personal preference and how much effort/money you're willing to put into your setup.

Tesoro

Lil-Rokslider
Screw the lids on tight and call it good. I wouldnt put them in any sealed compartment like a fire safe as that can become a big bomb! Same thing with primers.

Sled

WKR
I have a few powders out on the shelf in their original containers. The others get stored in a wood cabinet with 1.5" thick planks that are charred on the outside to make it fire resistant. I don't confine powders in ammo cans for the reason mentioned above. When you get a rapid exothermic reaction it's best to let it go and not build pressure.

Operator

Lil-Rokslider
I set up a fire resistant room, had contractor poor an extra couple walls and 6" top, put in a drain and a fire door. Cheap as a couple safes, put a dehumidifier in it, shelves bench and desk, keeps kids out and never had any problems with primers. Go an extra step put the primers in a cooler, away from the door and powder on low shelves away from the door. I made some gun racks and placed them above the work area on the walls. I had a house fire once nothing got damaged. Couldn't even smell smoke on anything. Oops the fire door did need replacing.

wcoats

FNG
I just store my powder in the original containers on a shelf. As mentioned above you don't want to confine them in a metal cabinet or something that will build pressure if there is a fire

49ereric

WKR
Just the way it came in the 60’s I assume.
ww 2 pull down powder probably from 20mm.

Attachments

• 0BC2FBDF-BB65-4595-90B2-0868CDAAD90A.jpeg
    0BC2FBDF-BB65-4595-90B2-0868CDAAD90A.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 13

Sled

WKR
Just the way it came in the 60’s I assume.
ww 2 pull down powder probably from 20mm.

Up until a decade ago I was still shooting Korean war era propellant. Now I shoot Vietnam era propellant that is inspected annually. Some fail and are destroyed.

I'd put that old 4831 the sniff test before I started loading ammo with it.

49ereric

WKR
Up until a decade ago I was still shooting Korean war era propellant. Now I shoot Vietnam era propellant that is inspected annually. Some fail and are destroyed.

I'd put that old 4831 the sniff test before I started loading ammo with it.
Smells fine. Used some a few years ago in my 6.5mag and went bang just fine.