Story time

Loo.wii

WKR
Last night I drove out to my OTC unit do some scouting. Fast forward to the AM after seeing the sights I decided to break camp for the day. Unfortunately as any good hunting spot I'm bushwhacking the entire way up hill both ways etc etc. Long story short while im in the middle of what is basiclly a deadfall corral I decide to let off a few cow calls. cow call #1..... cow call #2...... cow call #3..... . I hear branches cracking behind me. As im a big baby I turn around expecting to see a chipmunk orchestra. What i wasn't expecting was a black bear the size of lizzo gliding over this dead fall like a ballerina. He got closer than i would have liked. Definitely within spitting distance but I guess I scared him as much as he scared me because he was gone just as quick as he appeared. During this seconds long escapade I busted off 2 Buffalo bore +P rounds into a tree for good measure. I didn't even realize what had happened until i felt my ears ringing

I recently had one come in on stealth mode behind me. He got to 12 yards before we noticed each other. Similar reaction as yours, we both scared the crap out of the other.

A black bear can move like a wraith, cover further distance than a mountain lion, and can move a while lot faster than their size would seem to indicate!

UncleBone

WKR
I was scouting my unit for ML here in Colorado yesterday, and found a nice big fresh pile of bear scat. It was about after I started walking some game trails, and I was just thinking to myself,
"there must not be too many bears around here".

Weldor

WKR
My Drive way, come around the garage and there he is. I got a photo of then slapped my hands yelled. You can see he's impressed!

Attachments

• bear.jpeg
    bear.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

87TT

WKR
I had one walk in behind me while I was literally taking a crap once. Let's just say it was a short session.:oops:

Last night I drove out to my OTC unit do some scouting. Fast forward to the AM after seeing the sights I decided to break camp for the day. Unfortunately as any good hunting spot I'm bushwhacking the entire way up hill both ways etc etc. Long story short while im in the middle of what is basiclly a deadfall corral I decide to let off a few cow calls. cow call #1..... cow call #2...... cow call #3..... . I hear branches cracking behind me. As im a big baby I turn around expecting to see a chipmunk orchestra. What i wasn't expecting was a black bear the size of lizzo gliding over this dead fall like a ballerina. He got closer than i would have liked. Definitely within spitting distance but I guess I scared him as much as he scared me because he was gone just as quick as he appeared. During this seconds long escapade I busted off 2 Buffalo bore +P rounds into a tree for good measure. I didn't even realize what had happened until i felt my ears ringing
It's alarming how these huge beasts can be silent. I have, on average, five sub 50 yard encounters with black bears every year while deer hunting here in California. Funny enough, I almost always spot them before they spot me. 99% of the time that they see me they do an alarmed looking double take and then bolt in the opposite direction.