Stove efficiency?

Split toe

WKR
I am looking at dumping the Jet Boil Mini Mo for a lightweight stove (Pocket rock/soto/msr). Will I be able to make my 110g fuel canister last with the lightweight stove on a 5 day trip boiling just enough water every morning for oatmeal and every evening just enough water for peak refuel meals? I know they are not as efficient as JB, I have read other threads on here about those stoves, but never saw a clear answer about the extent a 110g canister would last boiling 10-12oz of water twice a day?

bcimport

WKR
I run a newer pocket rocket deluxe and would say yes. Don’t crank it to full throttle unless you have a real wide pot, lots of wasted heat that way. You should have plenty of gas for 5 days (assuming the water isn’t right at freezing and you make some rudimentary provisions to keep the stove out of the wind.

I went the opposite direction, older pocket rocket to a JetBoil flash.

The JetBoil outperforms the pocket rocket at higher altitudes and colder weather for me.

Jbehredt

WKR
Direct answer. You’ll have plenty for 5 days. Be sure to protect that new setup from the wind as much as possible.

Soto Windmaster and Pocket Rocket Deluxe come with the regulator for higher altitude use.

Soto Windmaster with Olicamp XTS pot is a great combination. Lighter than jetboil. Super efficient. Pot is big enough for everything including fuel canister to store inside.

BBob

WKR
Or if he already has the MiniMo pot he can get a Soto Windmaster to use with that pot. He'll save some weight, keep the efficiency and spend less $$. I modified the Windmaster pot support to use with an un-modified MinoMo pot. That way if I ever want to dump the MiniMo it's original and unmodified. The Windmaser pot supports are cheap and available separately.

I just ditched the flash and got a mighty mo and Toaks 600 pot. Was going to go with the pocket rocket deluxe but the arms were to flimsy for me.

Tradchef

WKR
I went from the flash to a wind master a couple years back with the toaks 750. It's pretty nice and I have no issues on efficiency. On issue i had this year was my system froze in -15 temps on a mulie hunt. I'm wanting to grab a whisper lite international or something of the like for super cold temps to avoid that problem. Otherwise that system works great. I've heard nothing but amazing things about the reactor if you want to stay with that style of stove.

I've done exactly what you are describing with fuel to spare using a Pocket Rocket Deluxe. Coffee/oatmeal in the AM, maybe another coffee mid morning, hot meal at night. No problems.

Brendan

WKR
Wanted to bump this thread. Anyone done the math on what they think is the lightest weight stove, with fuel, for 9-10 days? This is the first year for me potentially doing an extended backpacking trip where I really have to pay attention to fuel efficiency too and overall pack weight.

My starting point is an MSR Reactor with 1L pot, boiling water for breakfast and dinner. Colorado, early September high country hunt.

BBob

WKR
Reactor's aren't the most efficient stove/pot combos. They might be in really adverse conditions but for most things not. Two efficient and much lighter options I've played with and used are a JetBoil MicroMo pot with a Soto Windburner at ~9oz and a Sterno Inferno pot with a cheap BRS stove at ~6 oz. If you run the Soto and BRS at less than full blast but slower boil times you can bump up the efficiency a bit more. Both of these combos (or similar) have been discussed in threads here on Rokslide.

Last edited: