Stove for 2 Person Backcountry Shelter (Cimarron)

treillw

WKR
I'm thinking of getting a Seek Outside Cimarron, either the light or ultralight DCF version. Not 100% settled on the Cimarron at this point, but it will work for discussion purposes.

The tent will be used in MT for backcountry hunting. Probably packing in 5 miles, maybe 10. I anticipate using the tent up until December (don't know that the month name makes much difference - it's already 0 and snowing).

What stove would you recommend? Stick with a Seek model? There are lots of other brands out there too.

How big would you go? I've camped in a wall tent with a 40 pound stove and was amazed at how quickly it would burn out with the soft woods we have. Part of me thinks that there won't be a big difference in the burn time of a Ti stove from one size to the next and for it to be producing warmth it's going to need to be almost constantly fed.

This would lead me to say the Cub will do. The other if I went heavier would be the large - for 4oz, I might as well get the large over the medium.

Thoughts?

Maybe the question to ask is what do you use your stove for? Keeping the shelter warm, or just drying clothes?

PredatorX

WKR
I have used Seek, kifaru and LO stoves. My favorite is the Seek Outside design. I have the SXL in a 6 man tipi. I love a bigger stove with increased burn times. I have gotten some incredible burn times and can load it up with some large splits. 3 hours no problem for me..if you get a good coal bed you can get more then that...but this is burning hardwoods. To be fair this is my first box stove. The kifaru and LO were cylinder stoves. I prefer assembly of the SO box stoves but they all assemble really easily.

I would pack a stove in of any reasonable weight without question...I also would get the biggest one suitable for your shelter.

Fire and a warm shelter will breathe life into your soul.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

PredatorX

WKR
Well when I say burn times I mean with enough coals left to simply throw another log on and not worry about it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
I have a Seek Outside 12 man tipi. I run a Scout Cylinder stove. It’s ‘better’ at holding a fire than the titanium stoves, but it comes at a price: Volume and weight.

Used a Cimarron with a Kifaru Smith stove recently. It worked well. That said, lotta good experiences with the SO stoves.

If I were in your shoes I’d buy the dyneema Cimarron and appropriate sized SO titanium stove (based on their recommendation)and not look back.

Tshug

FNG
I have the exact same tent and lookin for the right stove. Lots of choices and really want to make the right decision the first time. Hear nothing but good things about SO so might just call and get what they suggest. Love kifaru stuff as well... Decisions decisions

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
Since you're looking at dropping the coin on a DCF for the weight savings, I would suggest a Medium U-turn from SO. I run a regular medium in my Cimarron and am very happy with the results. In the east burning good hard wood I've gotten 2.5 hours. You wont see that kind of times burning Aspen and pine but I would think you could get 1-1.5 hours. I run my stove to take the chill out before bed and to dry clothes.

Tshug

FNG
One question.... Why the u-turn and not the regular square stove?