Stove in a Hilleberg?

I have a chance at a really good deal on a Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT. I have been trying to hold out on buying a new shelter until I could find a GoLite SL5, but this may be a deal on a Hilleberg that I cannot pass up. My question is......has anyone put a stove and stove jack in one? I was thinking that putting one in the big vestibule would work well, just not sure. I have only ever seen stoves and stove jacks in tipi and tarptents.

Thoughts are greatly appreciated.....thanks!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Having previously spent time in a 3GT, I would say the vestibule is a bit small to run a stove. It is certainly big enough to store gear and maybe have one person sit up in it, but I think trying to run a stove would be challenging. Too hard to get in and out of the tent while the stove was burning since it would block the walk way, and I honestly think you would have trouble keeping the stove far enough from the sidewalls to prevent melting as well. Another consideration is that when you run a small stove you end up feeding it pretty constantly, and this requires a goodly sized pile of small sticks. I just think you would be hard pressed to have room for yourself and your stove, let alone wood in a Nallo 3GT.

Obviously not the greatest photo, but you can see that me (at 5'3) and a bit of gear took up most of the vestibule. This pic was taken from the inside of the tent, looking out:

That said, Hillebergs are bomber tents and if you can get a good deal on one it would be worth jumping on. Just not the best shelter for a stove, IMO.

Last edited:
I've spent a lot of time in an Akto and a Nallo 3 the past few years with much of that time being in the colder months. Since I already had a stove I've spent much of that time trying to figure out a way to install the stove but have pretty much come to the conclusion too that they will not work together.

The good news is that since they are built so well they are pretty warm tents. Zipping open the tent door on a 20* morning will not only wake your ass up but also makes on appreciate how well they hold in ones body heat.

if you are looking to warm it up inside, since it already holds heat pretty well you might try a candle lantern. You will be surprised how much heat it can kick off in a small area like the tent.

Scot E

Lil-Rokslider
I have thought about doing this exact thing and it seems like the GT would be the perfect way to go. I am surprised to hear owners that think there isn't enough room. Maybe it differs on how we use the tent. It seems they would work but likely depends on how many people in the tent. I was thinking an anjan 2 gt used as a 1 person tent would be perfect for me and gear in the main tent and a stove and firewood in the GT portion. The thing that really intrigues me about this idea is that you have a great floor tent for spring summer then can just bring the shell during fall and winter and you have a great light weight tarp style option with stove! somebody needs to try this and let us know how it works! :)

Scot E.

2x4x16

FNG
If you are getting a deal on the hilly, then jump on that regardless. We use the Nallo 2GT - love it and wish I would've spent the $$ years ago. When you start to use a quality piece of gear you kinda kick yourself to not buying it earlier. It does hold the heat surprisingly well. I wouldn't even think of a wood - stove to small of an area with gear and the potential for a bad scenerio. I have an old candle lantern that don't use any more, that sounds like a great idea!

We used a tiny Mr. Buddy heater in ours recently and it proved to be a pretty slick setup! Took the morning chill off and was great for drying out some gear after a slight condensation issue... (very cold night, no wind, woke up to heavy condensation)

I wouldn't want an actual stove in the vestibule of a Nallo 3GT, there is just enough room for gear and the way the zippers are would make it difficult to access and egress the tent.

ytlogger

FNG
Candle lanterns are a pretty dry heat and helps a bit with the condensation that always seems to form in my Nallo. At the risk of overstating the obvious, extra ventilation should always be allowed for if any kind of burner is used in a tent.

I added a stove jack to my Nallo 2 GT. I put it in the center of the vestibule, works great with my Ti Goat small wifi stove. when I was doing it I hadnt seen where anyone else had before. I can try to get some pictures up tomorrow if you are interested. I actually have been considering selling it, love the hilleberg its just that I end up going solo more often than not and its allot of tent for 1 guy.

Do you have any pics of it set up? I cant PM you because Im new here but I may interested in it as well. Thanks.

I added a stove jack to my Nallo 2 GT. I put it in the center of the vestibule, works great with my Ti Goat small wifi stove. when I was doing it I hadnt seen where anyone else had before. I can try to get some pictures up tomorrow if you are interested. I actually have been considering selling it, love the hilleberg its just that I end up going solo more often than not and its allot of tent for 1 guy.
I would be interested in pics of this as well. Not to purchase, but to install in my Nallo.
Thanks

Jimss

WKR
I have a 3 person GT and love it! It works great on extended hunts. Plenty of room for storing gear plus sleeping. I've never been a fan of fires! The last thing I want to do is have all my clothes and gear smell like a smoke stack while hunting! I've run my Nallo 3 through the gammet on a gob of Alaska, Wyo, and Colo hunts and it has withstood lots of rain, fairly deep snow, and high wind. It's tough to beat Hilleberg!

One thing I've done a lot is used just the fly plus painter's plastic floor on early season scouting and hunting trips. When I'm in super wet weather in Alaska it's nice having the fly, tent with bath tub floor plus footprint. I've actually been through a pretty bad blizzard with just the fly and did fine. The fly and 2 poles, stakes is less than 3 lbs. It's incredible having that much room to sleep plus gear! I've really never been too terribly cold without any type of heat. I spend most of my time hunting and sleeping...no need to gather wood and tend a fire!

Attachments

• 849590D6-F862-48C9-AED0-1369C5C6D2EE.jpeg
    849590D6-F862-48C9-AED0-1369C5C6D2EE.jpeg
    472.5 KB · Views: 293
  • 85703A5A-1F10-4945-992E-DD28E6F77B37.jpeg
    85703A5A-1F10-4945-992E-DD28E6F77B37.jpeg
    683.5 KB · Views: 273
  • 1E3F6D97-0102-40AF-A493-7730B13AAD0C.jpeg
    1E3F6D97-0102-40AF-A493-7730B13AAD0C.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 287
  • E41C4BAE-10A6-440F-8D8F-25ED2C3CF41D.jpeg
    E41C4BAE-10A6-440F-8D8F-25ED2C3CF41D.jpeg