Stove in a Hilleberg?

I see you have this in the classifieds, I can’t reply there...newbie... do you have the inner tent with it as well? Thanks

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have a 3 person GT and love it! It works great on extended hunts. Plenty of room for storing gear plus sleeping. I've never been a fan of fires! The last thing I want to do is have all my clothes and gear smell like a smoke stack while hunting! I've run my Nallo 3 through the gammet on a gob of Alaska, Wyo, and Colo hunts and it has withstood lots of rain, fairly deep snow, and high wind. It's tough to beat Hilleberg!

One thing I've done a lot is used just the fly plus painter's plastic floor on early season scouting and hunting trips. When I'm in super wet weather in Alaska it's nice having the fly, tent with bath tub floor plus footprint. I've actually been through a pretty bad blizzard with just the fly and did fine. The fly and 2 poles, stakes is less than 3 lbs. It's incredible having that much room to sleep plus gear! I've really never been too terribly cold without any type of heat. I spend most of my time hunting and sleeping...no need to gather wood and tend a fire!
Smoke as a cover scent is one of the best. It's a natural scent to an animal, old timers killed a LOT of animals after smoking their clothes to cover human scent.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
My guess is that when big game smell smoke it alerts them that something is going on (out of the usual). I'm also sure back in the good ole days there were a lot more wildfires than there are today so big game was used to the smell of smoke. If big game associate smoke with camp fires and humans they may not like smoke? If they've never seen or smelled smoke before it would send up a red flag that something is weird? If humans can smell smoke from long distance you can imagine how far away and strong smoke smells to animals. I would rather not smell like a smoke stack and alert animals of my presence!

I have a small backpacking propane lantern and a nallo 3 and that lantern heats the tent up pretty warm and pretty quick, just be sure to keep away from sides. Fire it up in am from the sleeping bag for a few minutes then get dressed and same at night before crawling in.

sneaky

"DADDY"
My guess is that when big game smell smoke it alerts them that something is going on (out of the usual). I'm also sure back in the good ole days there were a lot more wildfires than there are today so big game was used to the smell of smoke. If big game associate smoke with camp fires and humans they may not like smoke? If they've never seen or smelled smoke before it would send up a red flag that something is weird? If humans can smell smoke from long distance you can imagine how far away and strong smoke smells to animals. I would rather not smell like a smoke stack and alert animals of my presence!
You need to read up on it more if you think it'll send animals running for the next county. Probably more effective than the over- hyped scent sprays that don't work, or the carbon clothes...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

coswald

FNG
This is awesome ! I have the same tent and plan to copy this set up. Did you use a high temp silicone around the stove jack when you stitched it in to keep the seems water proof ?

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
Imma guess you don't live out west?

Elk smell smoke often for months at a time. It's called fire season.

Elk love burned areas for a number of reasons, it should be no mystery to them when smelling.

If you are upwind of elk, the only thing you could hope for is smelling like smoke. Otherwise they'll smell your human odor and know what's up, I don't care how much scent killer you sprayed all over yourself that morning. Since the OP plans on using a tent I assume he's not showering in the morning and using all the expensive questionable scent killing things to slowly sneak into his tree stand. He's hiking in somewhere and camping out for days getting stinky.

Smoke smell may very well be his best bet for any effective scent masking.