Stove jack in go-lite shangri-la3

Regul8r1

FNG
Has anyone put a stove jack in one of these tents? I think the tent is big enough for the stove, but it is all mesh at the peak, so I think I would have to put the jack much lower. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks in advance.

JDeanP

Lil-Rokslider
I know you can put one in a 5, but I don't recall one in a 3.

OP
R

Regul8r1

FNG
Thanks, I heard about the 5 as well. Thought somewhere I heard you could with the three, but it looked a little small to me.

ethan

WKR
I use to have one and I installed the jack myself. I put the stove jack the panel without the vents. It’s actually fairly easy to do.

oenanthe

WKR
I've got both - SL3 and SL5. The SL5 has a stove jack; the SL3 doesn't. Two guys and a stove is fine in the SL5, but I think it would be awfully tight in the SL3.

They're both great shelters!

Carlin59

WKR
Great question, thanks for posting it. What stove are you hoping to run? I've had an SL3 for 7 or 8 years. Love it, and it was my intro to floorless tipi tenting. I've thought about a stove before as well. I wish there was a "mini" stove on the market, I think that would fit the SL3 well. Can't imagine a standard Kifaru/SO/etc stove in one however. In hindsight, I wish I would have found the extra $50 at the time for an SL5. As it stands, I just bring an extra fuel canister and run my cook stove like a mini wood stove. Obviously not ideal, but it works to take the chill off at night and at when I wake up in the morning.

I have an sl3 with a stove jack. Solo, on a cot with gear, it's big enough. We have slept two in it with the stove and it's kind of a hassle. If I have two in there, I'll lay a log from the center poll to the edge to prevent contact with the stove. You can do it but it's best tp leave as much gear outside as possible. I'm using a diy Heineken keg stove which is plenty bulky.