Stove Jack Installation!

Rucker61

WKR
Gravedigging, I know, but I'm dropping my SL5 off at Bearpaw on Friday for a jack install. Yellowknife, I see that your stove jack is installed away from the door, unlike the Moffat's. How's that working for you? I'm having BWD add perimeter netting and a door so I won't have the same location issues with a nest as Becca and Luke, and it seems that having the stove out of the way of the door would be convenient.

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gravedigging, I know, but I'm dropping my SL5 off at Bearpaw on Friday for a jack install. Yellowknife, I see that your stove jack is installed away from the door, unlike the Moffat's. How's that working for you? I'm having BWD add perimeter netting and a door so I won't have the same location issues with a nest as Becca and Luke, and it seems that having the stove out of the way of the door would be convenient.

Besides trying to leave space for the nest, having the stove near the door makes it a lot more convianiant to bring wood into the shelter. We typically burn wood with the diameter of my thumb or smaller in our Backpacking stoves, and thus we go through wood pretty quickly. Having the stove near the door means you don't have to try and negotiate around the stove and pipe to bring additional fuel into the tipi....

Funny thing, I put my stove on the opposite side of the door for exactly the same reasons outlined by Becca for putting it on the door side. :) I wanted to be able to come in and dump a load of wood without getting tangled in the pipe and stove. Also wanted to be able to throw stuff through the door and or organize things near the door without burning it. In both those regards, it works just fine.

The drawback to putting it on the other side of the pole is that the 6+ footer sleeping on that side of the tent has to maneuver around it. My travel partner and I take up more.... er... combined volume and square footage that the Moffats. If the stove was on the door side, then the one guy wouldn't have to maneuver around both the pole and the stove on his way in. The guy on the door side could still make a straight entry. Better? I don't know. Have only tried the one way. Maybe Bearpaw has some insight. Putting the stove in the back and the wood in the front is likely the most ideal, but not easy with the vent system on an SL-5.

Yk

muleman

WKR
Has anyone considered through the sidewall like this? This is a SL3. Looks like it could work on any shelter though.

Selection_201.jpg

I see the following drawbacks:
  • need to pack a non-collapsible elbow
  • lack of pipe in tent to radiate heat
  • potential for walking into hot pipe
  • in heavy wind deflection could push fly too close to stove

These are the advantages I see:
  • more usable floor space
  • less chance of embers burning through

Here is the link to the full video to get an idea of usable space. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00-Um-yvTR8

Mike7

WKR
I have a couple of tarp/tipi type tents and I greatly prefer having the stove on the backside of the shelter as close to the pole as possible. In most of these structures the 1/4-1/3 of the shelter on the door side is exposed to the weather while the door is open.

If the stove is on one of sides then a person has to sleep on the door side and have their gear potential get wet while the door is open. Also, at night, other sleepers must crawl over this person to get out.

If the stove is on the door side, then there is not a really good place to stack wood, and it is difficult to load unless you sleep with your head right next to the door which is quite inconvenient (I have a sawvivor and like getting some nice bigger chunks of wood when possible, and I like to be able to load my stove while lying in the sleeping bag).

With the stove on the back side, everyone can sleep with head away from the door, easily load the stove, and easily exit shelter without stepping on/over anyone. Firewood can easily be stacked through the open door and up against the center pole to dry. The stove pipe can be secured to the center pole for increased stability. And in high winds, having the pipe close to the center, decreases its movement compared to the lower sidewalls of the tent which can flap back and forth in the wind.

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just heard cryptically from Bearpaw - they prefer the door side panel rather than non-door side.

Did they say why? I am following this discussion with interest...I am happy with the way we have ours sewn in near the door, but its interesting to hear where others prefer their stove jacks and why....

Rucker61

WKR
Did they say why? I am following this discussion with interest...I am happy with the way we have ours sewn in near the door, but its interesting to hear where others prefer their stove jacks and why....

No reason, just the one sentence, hence the "cryptic" descriptor. I'll follow up with John when I drop it off.

With the stove on the back side, everyone can sleep with head away from the door, easily load the stove, and easily exit shelter without stepping on/over anyone. Firewood can easily be stacked through the open door and up against the center pole to dry. The stove pipe can be secured to the center pole for increased stability. And in high winds, having the pipe close to the center, decreases its movement compared to the lower sidewalls of the tent which can flap back and forth in the wind.

Your logic makes sense to me, and that's the way I would have done it if the SL-5 was a little more forgiving as to location. Really, the SL-5 is not a particularly good tent for a stove (too much ventilation top and bottom to hold the heat), but it was only thing I could find on short notice when I needed a heated tent ASAP. A sod skirt would improve it, but at some point I'd rather just pony up for something designed around a stove rather than monkeying with too many modifications. For my limited uses, it will work.

Yk

Mike7

WKR
Yellowknife, with the same little Tigoat stove, I do notice more heat retention in my larger 13ft diameter tipi tent which seals down to the ground and has a liner. But I have much more useable room per tent size/weight in my 9ft square pyramid tent. The pyramid doesn't seal down to the ground, just like the SL5, but is square and the sides pull up vertical like the Megatarp.

For down south here with our warmer temperatures and significant humidity the majority of the time that I am out camping, I much prefer having the increased ventillation of the pyramid tent 90% of the time over the stuffier, warmer, slightly heavier tipi. I'm sure up there though, you all have "a lot" more variable conditions to deal with than we even have. You just need many more different shelters & shelter types apparently! :)

Rucker61

WKR
Just heard from Ed T. I quote: "I prefer the front, door side so you don't have to haul wood over your gear. Either would work though." Either being left or right side.

Mike7

WKR
My shelters aren't that big that I can't just lean in through the door and drop/stack the wood against the center pole in a single stacked row heading out toward the door. This allows me to situp in my sleeping bag and grab whatever large chunks of wood I need. I also like to place some smaller starter wood bundles and just a few big chunks up near my head around the stove door, but then leave the main stack behind the stove where it doesn't affect the sleeping space in the tent or get in the way of starting fires and loading the stove. To each his own though.

Also I find in the pyramid tent that having everyone sleeping with their feet toward the door of the shelter, allows you to easily flip back the Tyvek and foot of the sleeping bags to create bare ground near the door where people can walk into the shelter with boots on without getting mud all over bed rolls and gear.

Colby Jack

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking to install a stove jack in a Mtn Hardwear Skyledge 3. How far would you recommend the stove be placed away from the ripstop fabric? This tent includes a vinyl window. I was going to use this location for the stove jack. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!!