Stove jack placement on SL3

BuckSnort

WKR
First time doing this and seeking advice..Which is better? (note that length of flue will be higher than peak of tent with both options)

Option A: Close to peak

sl32_zpse9a3179f.jpg

Advantage: More flue inside of tent (more heat)

Disadvantage: Seams don't line up, compromising structural integrity?

Option B: 12" lower

sl3_zps7e2d3550.jpg

Advantage: Seams line up, stronger and more durable?

Disadvantage: 12" less flue inside of tent to provide heat..

I'd like to get this right the first time, I'd appreciate any input..

dotman

WKR
Which will give you more room? My supertarp doesn't have much pipe in it but heats up really good.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
The center pole is already eating up space so the closer to the pole you can put it the better. Other wise you have two things, stove and center pole, to work around. Honestly I wouldn't put a stove in an SL-3 as the SL-5 is a much better shelter for a stove, even solo (only 5 oz difference between they two, but the SL-5 has 50% more space), but if thats what you wanna roll with go for it. Personally I keep the SL-3 for UL solo trips. If going solo with a stove its already NOT UL as I am bringing the stove so might as well haul the extra 5 oz along too....

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
Luke, that's a good point about placing it next to the center pole... Probably the best option... I hear ya on the SL3 vs SL5 but for now all I have is the SL3.. In time I will get the bigger one but for now this will do... Compared to what I'm used to (MSR ZOID1) it will still be a palace even with a stove...

Thank you all for the input