Stove jack placement questions

I’m working on a diy tent/stove combo for a tipi that is relatively tall at 8’2. Almost all the designs I’ve seen have put the stove jack right near the middle of the tent with a stove pipe sticking out a foot above the peak to avoid burning your tent with embers.

My question is this: can I get away with putting my jack lower in the tent wall, using a shorter stove pipe (say 5 feet), and running a spark arrestor? I think I would prefer the layout with stove off to the side, plus I would save significant weight and cost with the short pipe. Is this a terrible idea??

Napperm4

WKR
Not a horrible idea but I suggest running the chimney out at an angle in that situation.

FYI the main reasons you see the chimney in in the Center of most tipi shelters is two fold.

1 reason being that the tension from the guy points and the pole is maximized at the apex. Meaning this is the most stable place to put a chimney because no one wants a hot piece of metal falling out / on the shelter during a windstorm or the pipe coming out of the stove filling the tent with smoke. Learned the second one first hand in my wall tent on a windy night...

2. You lose a lot of efficiency of the heat generated from the stove. The more pipe inside the shelter, the warmer it will be. The hot gasses from the fire in the stove will continue to burn inside the chimney which help in heating the shelter. The extra metal will also hold that heat and dissipate it when the fire is low. Titanium cools rapidly but if it’s a traditional chimney the chimney would also retain heat and dissipate it when the fire is out.

sweetroll

FNG
Good points above, and I’d also say that you’ll probably want access for people to sit all around the stove when it’s really cold.

Also, make sure to put it in one of the panels away from the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk