Stove pipe diameter?

RealMoses

FNG
So I just bought a SO Redcliff, and I wanted a pomoly stove but because I ate my budget on the tent I decided to build my own collapsible stove, which I just tested tonight and it passed the initial burn in test so I’m moving forward with the build. Anyway, I’m on to the damper and stove pipe part of the build, and I’m wondering what everyone’s opinions are on pipe diameter. I was thinking either 2.5” or 3”, but I’m not sure what I really need to handle the air flow… also, is there a damper design out there that is better than the rest? Thanks in advance

The ones I’ve played with were 6.5 or 11”-ish wide material that rolled into 2.5 or 3.125 -ish pipe. Used to be you could get it at McMaster Carr cheaper than the pack stove outfits, but not sure that’s still the case.
Damper was always in stove, not pipe. But SeekOutside looks to make a decent looking damper for between stove and pipe.

Stove pipe diameter would depend on stove size. 3” is probably a good choice.

EdP

WKR
I would look at the stoves being offered for sale and calculate the internal volume. Match the internal volume of your stove to one of them and use the same pipe diameter.

Bigger pipe means more cold air (and metal) to heat....and that can negatively affect stove draft when starting a fire. A too-big pipe will often contribute to smoky startups....cold air in the flue pipe inhibits upward flow and drafting until the fire gets things heated. I recommend the smaller diameter flue pipe for that reason. Also, a bigger flue pipe does nothing to help manage an established fire after things have warmed up.