Stove size for SO 8 man tipi

wilydawg

Lil-Rokslider
I'm thinking about getting either a Winnerwell Nomad or a Gstove to heat an 8 man SO tipi.

The question I have is which size should I go. Both of them offer two sizes, basically a medium or large. I'd rather keep the size down if possible. I know that stove length plays a part as you can fit longer fuel in the large sizes. And that more capacity means a longer burn time. Also, the Winnerwell (which I'm leaning toward) has a 2.5" diameter pipe on the medium, and a 3.5" diameter on the large. I believe the stove jack on the SO is sized to fit their tungsten pipe and the keeper ring, which nets out at 3 1/8" so it could be a stretch to fit the larger 3.5" pipe (don't have the tipi in my hands yet to check the stove jack for size) and want to get a stove ordered.

I think if the larger pipe would fit ok I'd probably go that way, better safe than sorry on output.

Can anyone who runs these stoves weigh in with their experience? Or anybody with thoughts on the stove jack?

Thanks in advance for your input!

sneaky

"DADDY"
This is for a truck camping setup? Or packing in with stock? Either way, you can cut the opening in the stove jack to fit the bigger pipe.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
wilydawg

wilydawg

Lil-Rokslider
This is for a truck camping setup? Or packing in with stock? Either way, you can cut the opening in the stove jack to fit the bigger pipe.

Truck/UTV camping. Thanks for the response!

TomAZ

Lil-Rokslider
Any size stove will heat it. This issue is wood capacity. You’d probably want as large a stove as possible so when you sleep it has the longest possible burn time. My 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

young7.3

WKR
Any size stove will heat it. This issue is wood capacity. You’d probably want as large a stove as possible so when you sleep it has the longest possible burn time. My 2 cents

Agreed. The issue will be with burn time when going to sleep. Not whether or not it will heat the tent (you get burned out more times than not).

Medium: Smaller footprint. More manageable for heat output. Likely to provide more heat than you really need. Less weight.

Large: Able to achieve extended burns. Accepts bigger fuel. That's about the only advantage I can see.

Unless you already own the 8-Man, you can order it with the stove jack un-cut I believe. You can then cut it exactly for the pipe you use.

I'm never quite sure why people want to heat a tent all night while sleeping. Most of the heat is going to the top of the tipi and very little at ground level. The use of extra fuel is obvious. Does the heat benefit people who are sleeping in warm bags somehow? I'm truly NOT being facetious with this....I just am curious about the real benefits.

I run the SO sxl in mine, which capacity wise appears to be between the two. Either of those is going to be a pretty big footprint with the wings out. FWIW if I was looking at those stoves for truck/utv camping I'd probably be looking hard at a 12 or 16 man tepee. Just a few more pounds and obviously weight/space isn't an issue. Then you can start looking at cots! 🙂

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you are truck camping and for some reason think you need heat all night then you should just put a NuWay propane heater in it and call it good. Vents to the outside, buy a CO detector and sleep warm. Wood stoves, if you want to waste wood all night, make you a slave to them. Buy a good bag, sleep without worrying about the stove.