Stove size?

Blackhawk45hunter

Lil-Rokslider
So I just bought a supertarp and annex in the classifieds. I’m stoked, I’ve wanted one for a long time now.
now, I’m thinking about my next investment which is a stove.
Im a minimalist so initially I’m thinking a 12” cylinder stove from Lite Outdoors, but I’d like to get a sawtooth, or maybe an 8 man tipi in a year or two. Would it make more sense to get an 18” stove, and be able to use it for both shelters? Or would an 18” be too much horsepower for the supertarp and too little for the tipi?

thanks in advance!

AKDoc

WKR
As a comparative for you...I have a SO 4-man tipi, and I use a SO titanium medium stove (10" box length). It produces more than enough heat for that application, and it doesn't take-up a lot of space.

I'm very pleased with that combination. I don't cook on it, but it will boil a pot of water pretty darn quickly and helps dry the inside of the tipi as well as any wet stuff that I have hanging..

sneaky

"DADDY"
You can buy just an 18" body if you decide to get a bigger shelter later. The ends and pipe are the same on both sizes unless you do one in a regular and the other an XL

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Many opt to go bigger than needed, but I tend toward less stove. Here's why:

A bigger stove typically means more heat output and thus the stove often gets burned in a dampened or restricted fashion to control the fire. Subsequently, the flue pipe stays cooler and more soot or creosote deposits can form.

Bigger stoves will almost always eat more wood. This may not be a problem unless you're camped where dry wood isn't plentiful.

A smaller stove can be burned hotter in a bigger shelter. Burning it hot makes it more efficient at heating water or cooking....without running you out of the tent or tipi as easily.

Smaller = less physical weight.

Bigger = bigger footprint. Might be a minor thing unless space is at a premium.

And for what it's worth, a flattop stove is somewhat better for cooking and heating water, due to full contact between pan and stove.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Had the supertarp annex and small kifaru box stove....my experience was stove too small to make it worthwhile too much feeding and size of burn material required Kevin brings up valid points, fE7F2AC00-234D-41B7-B781-BF7E96139EAC.jpegor me and if looking at bigger setup would go with bigger stove buy once mentality. Don’t recommend this but was 🔥💥99E4BFE6-273C-4087-873E-7755A02D9CA2.png