Stove sizes

If'n a feller had a SO Medium box stove, and he was considering selling and buying a U-turn version, or just buying the upgrade kid, what may push him one way or the other if economics wasn't considered? So, the overall weight savings are better with the U-turn because of the skinnier pipe, but maybe a skinny pipe has some functional downsides compared to the larger pipe? Sorta begs the question why didn't the original Medium have the skinny pipe? Things a feller ponders when the sun goes down so early and he spends a lot of time inside a heated tipi.

OP
reaper

reaper

WKR
If'n a feller had a SO Medium box stove, and he was considering selling and buying a U-turn version, or just buying the upgrade kid, what may push him one way or the other if economics wasn't considered? So, the overall weight savings are better with the U-turn because of the skinnier pipe, but maybe a skinny pipe has some functional downsides compared to the larger pipe? Sorta begs the question why didn't the original Medium have the skinny pipe? Things a feller ponders when the sun goes down so early and he spends a lot of time inside a heated tipi.
well i think than Seekoutside wanted at this time to keep their stoves ''standard'' because they were too busy with box stoves. Kevin said: ''Now we have our manufacturing down smoother so we re-introduced them(U-turn) and made a couple small changes. We thought they paired with the lighter Dyneema and zipperless shelters''Also said u-turn give less heat than a standard,If you need a new stove i think their U-turn are awesome but if you already have a stove i don't see the advantages to spend money on this.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Well a little history , our original stove was a 2.5 pipe . We moved up to 3.25 later as we introduced larger stoves and tents within the first couple years .

You can get a little more heat from a bigger pipe , but inside shelters cimarron or 4 man and smaller and temps that stay in double digits the 2.5 will be fine .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk