Stove tents- SO, other options?

kyleds8

FNG
Hey all,

I'm about to get a stove-capable tent, and so far was set on the SO LBO, but the 6 week wait time on their tents is killing me. Any other good options to consider for a similar tent?

And if I do go with the SO, worth paying extra for sealed seams, or taping myself?

thoughts appreciated,

Kyle

Bearsears

WKR
I have a SO Redcliff. Sealing the seams is easy and they have a good video on doing it. Unless you dont have time before your trip or a warm enough day to do it, I dont think its worth paying the extra money to have SO do it. SO is worth the wait and if you are up against a deadline usually they can accomodate you. You just need to contact them before ordering to be sure they can get it to you on time.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Cimarron with stove jack just got listed in the classifieds. Never been set up or sealed. You don't tape the seams on these tents, you seal them with silicone and a brush.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
K

kyleds8

FNG
Cimarron with stove jack just got listed in the classifieds. Never been set up or sealed. You don't tape the seams on these tents, you seal them with silicone and a brush.

just ordered the LBO from SO! cimarron looks good but with first responder discount LBO w vestibule ended up a 100 bucks cheaper, and hopefully better for me mostly solo hunting. thank you for your help!

sneaky

"DADDY"
just ordered the LBO from SO! cimarron looks good but with first responder discount LBO w vestibule ended up a 100 bucks cheaper, and hopefully better for me mostly solo hunting. thank you for your help!
Did you get their carbon pole and stove jack too? I've had an LBO w/vestibule already. How tall are you?

OP
K

kyleds8

FNG
Did you get their carbon pole and stove jack too? I've had an LBO w/vestibule already. How tall are you?

didn't get the pole as i figure I'll always have my walking sticks, save weight. I'm 6'1", 200lb, got the stove jack.

TomJoad

WKR
Agreed than seam sealing is doable and worth it but per above do have time AND patience AND flexibility! I was in some pretty contorted positions for extended periods during my inside out cimmeron job. Also dilution is critical, makes the job so much easier and better.

As for stove I also went for SO, a large U-turn. I’m happy with it overall but not the assembly setup with the feet. It’s a ton of loose parts that I don’t want to deal with, especially winter camping with snow (powder + wingnuts??) and gloves.

I just started a thread on some new feet I’m making to replace these taking the system from 16 parts (8 tiny) to 4 (all large) If you want to follow.

OP
K

kyleds8

FNG
Agreed than seam sealing is doable and worth it but per above do have time AND patience AND flexibility! I was in some pretty contorted positions for extended periods during my inside out cimmeron job. Also dilution is critical, makes the job so much easier and better.

As for stove I also went for SO, a large U-turn. I’m happy with it overall but not the assembly setup with the feet. It’s a ton of loose parts that I don’t want to deal with, especially winter camping with snow (powder + wingnuts??) and gloves.

I just started a thread on some new feet I’m making to replace these thatis taking the system from 16 parts (8 tiny) to 4 (all large) If you want to follow.
awesome, great info thanks man. What stove would you have bought with hindsight?

TomJoad

WKR
awesome, great info thanks man. What stove would you have bought with hindsight?

honestly the same one. I’ve used Kifaru’s and theirs is not as well designed or refined. I’m not down with Liteoutdoors barrel stoves at all. Cylinder pipe into cylinder stove is not great IMO and the weight of the stovepipe is resting on the part of the cylinder that wants to collapse, really not good! Finally you can’t cook on a barrel so you can’t use the stove for cooking to limit the fuel your bringing

The leg fix seemed like a small price to pay and a relatively easy one. The existing system is workable it just feels hacked and as a designer I’m fussy about details.

OP
K

kyleds8

FNG
sounds like its time for you to put a stove on the market! followed

sneaky

"DADDY"
I don't have to worry about that issue with my Ruta Locura stove.