Stove type pros/cons?

lintond

WKR
So I've been doing research on stove types to pair with my SO Redcliff and I'm having some information overload. So I have a few questions that hopefully some Roksliders can help with. To help guide people I'm currently considering the SXL, L U-turn, or LO XL Cylinder Stove.

I used a friends cylinder stove a few years ago a bit and a few memories I have is it being a pain to get put together. I don't think he burned it in pre hunt. It also seemed like operation of the door was kind of a PIA & the handle was difficult to operate with a stick to avoid burning your hand.

1) Cylinder vs Box vs U-turn. Besides cooking what are the functionality vs weight benefits of these? One of my main concerns is burn time, so I can get more sleep and less time feeding the stove at night. I'm willing to sacrifice weight if it means the functionality is that much better.
2) I often see cooking mentioned as a benefit of the box stove. Are you guys leaving your jetboil/MSR stove at home and just relying on the box stove to heat water for food/coffee? I realize that boil times would be a lot less.
3) Does either shape out perform the other from a fire perspective?
3) I've gathered that the sides on the u-turn can warp and leave gaps. Does this happen with the SXL?
4) Do you think a canister like SO sells for storing the stove pipe is necessary or recommended when packing?
5) Any accessories that you recommend to have for adding to the stove or including in your kit?

I'm sure I'll have much more questions along the way. Thanks in advance for your help.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Box will be easier to set up, cylinder will tend to be lighter aNd allow larger pieces of wood. All will warp to some degree. I heat items up on my cylinder stove not necessarily cook them, box will allow cooking. The lite outdoors stove performs very well knowing you need to practice setting it up...the one item I recommend is a pair of protection gloves to not cut your hands. Also imo best to go with more stove than you think you may need. Many are looking to this stove for ease of setup

Attachments

• CE2FB8EC-1DDF-4F74-A627-36865E55F00A.png
    CE2FB8EC-1DDF-4F74-A627-36865E55F00A.png
    838.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Clarence

WKR
The tube that seek sells for the pipe is not necessary, but really nice. I can put my pipe anywhere it fits in my pack, without having to worry about sharp edges, and getting soot and smell on anything. I like a box stove, but I do alot of cooking and baking on top of my stove. I want a little sturdier stove for this.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

reaper

WKR
If you want peace of mind and easier assembly just go with the standard box stove from seekoutside,I have use a lot of stoves and the seekoutside is the best design in my opinion.Cylinder stoves sucks don't waste your money on it.

I am now only using the SXL stove in my kifaru 6 man and the U-turn medium size in the Silex...in super cold weather the U-turn is hard to set-up with those wingnuts and the body made from foil.

For a redcliff the SXL will be an excellent stove.The 3" pipe will give you better heat.
c8c75635d091ca3799bd929ff068baa6.jpg
e37746092bd0912e2ddf666c3871089a.jpg
ac1b618e559da4a082db60c9d980ef02.jpg

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

I use the sxl with my 8 man so. I've used it as our only cooking source before and it works great if you are just heating water for freeze dried. If you are boiling pasta and things like that it can be tedious and a lot of wood. It is really nice just alway having a pot of water on top in the evenings for tea or a hot tody or for a hot water Nalgene bottle. Also for socked in weather days. You can put some pretty decent sized chunks of wood in the sxl once it gets going. Haven't tried a cylinder so can't compare. I've never used the stovepipe thing - never knew it existed until now! Bring extra wingnuts in case you drop one in the weeds.

OP
lintond

lintond

WKR
Great info and input. I'm thinking that cooking or boiling water is not going to be a thing for me.

Moserkr

WKR
I use a titanium goat 20” cylinder stove that is modified to have a door like LO, except its lighter. Its around 900cu” and my tipi is similar to a redcliff in size. Never been cold down to 0* in a blizzard. For 3 seasons I didnt carry a gas stove. Boiling water takes a little longer but once its dark, Im not in a huge hurry. Before Im out of my sleeping bag in the morning, stove is hot and waters on. My selling point was being lighter than the box stoves. Im not cooking on mine, just boiling water which takes around 10 min.

Last edited:

11boo

WKR
6C869D20-F8A1-4809-B10A-2D6C9CF77BFC.jpeg
XL in the 8 man. Works well, but I’m getting something heavier. Truck camp don’t care about weight.