Stove under tarp for late season cooking/warmth

Dirtriding4life

Lil-Rokslider
I’m going on rifle deer and elk hunts this fall and want to keep a somewhat lightweight and mobile setup with easy setup and takedown. I have a DST tarp, tyvek, XTherm pad, and 0* EE quilt.

I plan to hunt in up to a foot of snow and if I encounter more I’ll drop in elevation. I found the Solo Stove Titan that might be an option... https://www.solostove.com/solo-stove-titan

It’s 16.5oz+ whatever pot I decide to use on it for heating water. They make a smaller one called the Lite at 9oz that could be an option as well.

I’m looking for a stove that I can put at the edge of my tarp to heat water off, dry some clothes/ boots a bit and give me some radiant heat. I’m not looking to keep the shelter warm all night. Has anyone used the Solo Stove or have any other options that might work?

Ideally a LBO or Silvertip with a stove would be perfect, but that’s a good bit more money and requires longer setup/takedown.
I’ve got a Redcliff and SXL stove for trips with a few people.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Seems like an LBO would go up as quick, or quicker, than the tarp. Be a heck of a lot warmer too. You have a bivy sack as well? Be miserable under a tarp in a foot of snow with nothing to block drafts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
D

Dirtriding4life

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like an LBO would go up as quick, or quicker, than the tarp. Be a heck of a lot warmer too. You have a bivy sack as well? Be miserable under a tarp in a foot of snow with nothing to block drafts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

No bivy.
I’ve set up the DST like the second post in this thread with one end closed. SO DST tarp pitches
I’m pretty sure it would do a good job of shedding snow and blocking wind. I’ve slept down to 10* on snow before with my sleep system in a tent and been comfy. I picked up a ZLite foam pad for a little extra R rating under my Xtherm to be a bit more comfy.

Next year I’ll probsbly go with a LBO and a stove. I already gave them too much of my money this year.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
Just my opinion but no way I’d want to be under a tarp, even a shaped tarp anytime snow is very likely part of trip. One night yea fine, but an extended hunt no. I sleep in some pretty skimpy stuff but I know that setup, late in the year would have me headed to the truck before my hunt is over.

And if your going that light I would forego the stove and just make a fire next to your stuff. I tried the wood fire stove for cooking thing and it is not what I want on a hunt. On a backpacking trip where I have time to goof off yea it’s okay, but when I’m hunting and it’s cold and I get back to my tent after a long day I want my food now and I wanna good to bed, not be monkeying with a wood burning stove, IME their use can be pretty tedious.

Unless your a really experienced backpacker and know you can make the tarp work, id go with something that gives a bit more protection. I know if I ran your setup, late season with snow, it would be a recipe for failure on the camping end. There are a lots of times I will run a tarp, but cold and snow means I want something that provides more, regardless of how long it takes to get up and down. On top of that your talking about a wood burner for cooking, those take entirely too much time on a hunt to begin with Imo.
I’d be looking for a fully enclosed shelter, possibly with a stove that goes in it: that stove can also be used for boili water.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dirtriding4life

Lil-Rokslider
That Trail Designs Sidewinder looks sweet. Much lighter and more packable than the Solo Stove. That is my first choice now. It would be sweet to boil unlimited amounts of snow for drinking water with wood fuel. No hikes down off the ridges to the streams.

I plan on going 5 miles in max since I'll be solo and hiking out could be rough with meat in snow. If it gets too rough for me I can go back to the car and camp in that or grab the Redcliff with stove and have a base camp up on the mountain and hunt from there. Thanks for your opinion Lawnboi and I'll certainly not be too persistent to head back to the car if things go south.

superA

WKR
Just my opinion but no way I’d want to be under a tarp, even a shaped tarp anytime snow is very likely part of trip. One night yea fine, but an extended hunt no. I sleep in some pretty skimpy stuff but I know that setup, late in the year would have me headed to the truck before my hunt is over.

And if your going that light I would forego the stove and just make a fire next to your stuff. I tried the wood fire stove for cooking thing and it is not what I want on a hunt. On a backpacking trip where I have time to goof off yea it’s okay, but when I’m hunting and it’s cold and I get back to my tent after a long day I want my food now and I wanna good to bed, not be monkeying with a wood burning stove, IME their use can be pretty tedious.

Unless your a really experienced backpacker and know you can make the tarp work, id go with something that gives a bit more protection. I know if I ran your setup, late season with snow, it would be a recipe for failure on the camping end. There are a lots of times I will run a tarp, but cold and snow means I want something that provides more, regardless of how long it takes to get up and down. On top of that your talking about a wood burner for cooking, those take entirely too much time on a hunt to begin with Imo.
I’d be looking for a fully enclosed shelter, possibly with a stove that goes in it: that stove can also be used for boili water.

What shelter or type of shelter would you recommend?

What type of terrain will you be in? I ask because I have used a 3 sided tarp setup in the snow before, but I was in the forest and know which way the wind will blow. It was quite comfy and cozy, but again, you must be very confident in wind direction so as not to have snow blowing in (obviously). I had an open fire a few feet from the tarp, but again, not relying on that to supplement the sleep system.

In that same scenario, I wouldnt hesitate with the DST. Just make sure your sleep system will keep you warm regardless, and be careful about where that open side is pitched, and you can be just fine. I know that doesnt answer your stove question, just trying to counter some of the other posters by saying that your original idea CAN work, especially if you arent in a position to purchase fancier things just yet.

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

OP
D

Dirtriding4life

Lil-Rokslider
What type of terrain will you be in? I ask because I have used a 3 sided tarp setup in the snow before, but I was in the forest and know which way the wind will blow. It was quite comfy and cozy, but again, you must be very confident in wind direction so as not to have snow blowing in (obviously). I had an open fire a few feet from the tarp, but again, not relying on that to supplement the sleep system.

In that same scenario, I wouldnt hesitate with the DST. Just make sure your sleep system will keep you warm regardless, and be careful about where that open side is pitched, and you can be just fine. I know that doesnt answer your stove question, just trying to counter some of the other posters by saying that your original idea CAN work, especially if you arent in a position to purchase fancier things just yet.

I will be in forested area with some large rock outcroppings. There should be either rocks or trees that I can get shelter from the wind in. I plan to pay good attention to the wind direction and possibly bring one of the open edges of the tarp into the outer pole to close it off even more.

superA

WKR
I'd be taking a cimmaron, box stove for melting snow, and a lightweight bivy to ward off the condensation that is inevitable with snow.

I'm in the market for a bivy, have you found one that works well but doesn't get you damp from condensation? I'm currently looking at a mld that's just water repellant.

That sounds cool man, have a good time! One problem I have had before is that burning wood in freezing conditions requires alot of time and patience. Having gas as a backup is a great idea, as well as a good firestarter. Again, this may be obvious to you, maybe not, I dont know how much time you have spent in the woods. A good sleep system and something like a kifaru lost park parka go a long ways to making a woodsman comfortable in low temps. Best of luck!

Lawnboi

WKR
I'm in the market for a bivy, have you found one that works well but doesn't get you damp from condensation? I'm currently looking at a mld that's just water repellant.

I currently have a Borah gear lightweight bivy. I haven’t had any condensation problems in it, unless I breathe into it. It gives some decent protection under a shelter, protects my pad from the ground and any water on it, and keeps me on the pad. I had the head of my sleeping bag get wet on some really nasty nights under my tarp as it’s all mesh.

In the past I’ve run event bivies from integral designs (now rab). I plan on buying another for under tarp use. Where as I’d run the Borah under a fully enclosed shelter, I still prefer fully waterproof for under a tarp and fast packing type stuff. A waterproof bivy also helps in that you can eliminate a few stuff sacks, simply roll up your sleep system (pad, bag) in the bivy, stuff it in the bottom of the pack, it’s waterproof and ready to go quick, and just as easy to pack quick. Condensation can come in these but I found the event material to be pretty breathable. I never had anything out of this world as far as interior condensation. A bivy also provides some wind protection when your under a skimpy shelter like a tarp.

So I guess the answer is depends on the shelter. I have gotten wet under a tarp before, no way around it with an open side imo, at times. Weather can get it, campsite may not be perfect, shit happens. A waterproof bivy under a tarp for me is just extra insurance, also makes for a more versatile shelter, bivy can be used stand alone if warranted.

Lawnboi

WKR
That sounds cool man, have a good time! One problem I have had before is that burning wood in freezing conditions requires alot of time and patience. Having gas as a backup is a great idea, as well as a good firestarter. Again, this may be obvious to you, maybe not, I dont know how much time you have spent in the woods. A good sleep system and something like a kifaru lost park parka go a long ways to making a woodsman comfortable in low temps. Best of luck!

I agree, those wood burners, while neat can be very tedious. You have to spend time processing wood, and it can be a pain just to boil when it’s wet out. More work than you would think. If I’m melting snow and don’t have a box stove I’m breaking out the white gas. Not trying to be a d***, I just don’t want to see you have the same problem iv had, and that was swearing at wet wood trying to make my food at 10pm after a long day.

superA

WKR
I currently have a Borah gear lightweight bivy. I haven’t had any condensation problems in it, unless I breathe into it. It gives some decent protection under a shelter, protects my pad from the ground and any water on it, and keeps me on the pad. I had the head of my sleeping bag get wet on some really nasty nights under my tarp as it’s all mesh.

In the past I’ve run event bivies from integral designs (now rab). I plan on buying another for under tarp use. Where as I’d run the Borah under a fully enclosed shelter, I still prefer fully waterproof for under a tarp and fast packing type stuff. A waterproof bivy also helps in that you can eliminate a few stuff sacks, simply roll up your sleep system (pad, bag) in the bivy, stuff it in the bottom of the pack, it’s waterproof and ready to go quick, and just as easy to pack quick. Condensation can come in these but I found the event material to be pretty breathable. I never had anything out of this world as far as interior condensation. A bivy also provides some wind protection when your under a skimpy shelter like a tarp.

So I guess the answer is depends on the shelter. I have gotten wet under a tarp before, no way around it with an open side imo, at times. Weather can get it, campsite may not be perfect, shit happens. A waterproof bivy under a tarp for me is just extra insurance, also makes for a more versatile shelter, bivy can be used stand alone if warranted.

Used under a dst tarp. Thanks for the replies!