Stove vs Heavier Sleeping bag

dsotm223

FNG
I have a one man that has a stove jack built in, im trying to weigh the pros and cons of a stove vs heavier sleeping bag.

Im using a tyvek floor sheet. Will I be able to use a stove with that or will I have to go sheetless?

The tent is big enough to sleep in, sit up in, but not actually live in if that makes sense. Since I'll only be sleeping in there or sheltering from inclement weather (so sleeping) is the stove worth the investment?

Im out of my element here and looking for advice from those with much more experience than I have.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Hopefully others with more experience will chime in as well, but the stove is pretty much only for the evenings and mornings.. your sleeping bag should still be rated for the temps for the night.

The advantage of the stove is being able to dry stuff out, and not have to sit in your sleeping bag the whole time if you have to spend much time in your tent in the evening, and also warming the tent up in the morning before you get out of your bag so you can dress in a warm tent.

I know a lot of guys on here don't use a stove at all, but my first experience was 4 nights in montana in late november, and I was very happy to have the stove in the mornings and evenings!

North61

Lil-Rokslider
The small packable titanium stoves don't hold heat for long. As mentioned they dry stuff out and make for a pleasant interlude before sleep. You'll still need a good sleeping bag but the stove allows you to warm up and dry stuff out when awake . It's especially great when you are North enough to run out of day light. Here in the Yukon, October sheep hunts create a lot of wait time in the dark. Floorless with Tyvek under your sleeping matt is the way to go.

Video of our October experience.

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
Besides being able to dry gear and warm up after a long day/morning I use mine to heat water for meals and coffee so I dont have to pack a cook stove. If it storms heavy for a day or three the stove is invaluable.

Edit: As mentioned the stove isnt a replacement for a good bag.

Wapiti151

WKR
I think it has been said above, but stove or not…you want a sleeping bag rated for the outside temp you’ll experience. So, if it’s going to be 10° outside…you’ll want a sleeping bag of the same rating as the outside temp no matter what. That is, unless you plan on waking up every half hour to stoke. These backpacking stoves are made of titanium, they are super thin. With that being said, they don’t have the thermal mass to retain and put out heat unless it is actively producing thermal energy. Once that fire goes out inside, it’s going to get to the same temp as outside fairly quickly. I have a stove and absolutely love it for cold hunts, so I’d recommend getting both. If that’s not in the cards, go with the heavier sleeping bag first, then work the stove into your system. Make sure you have a great pad too.

I have a one man that has a stove jack built in, im trying to weigh the pros and cons of a stove vs heavier sleeping bag.

Im using a tyvek floor sheet. Will I be able to use a stove with that or will I have to go sheetless?

The tent is big enough to sleep in, sit up in, but not actually live in if that makes sense. Since I'll only be sleeping in there or sheltering from inclement weather (so sleeping) is the stove worth the investment?

Im out of my element here and looking for advice from those with much more experience than I have.

What bag and pad are you currently using?

archp625

WKR
Hopefully others with more experience will chime in as well, but the stove is pretty much only for the evenings and mornings.. your sleeping bag should still be rated for the temps for the night.

The advantage of the stove is being able to dry stuff out, and not have to sit in your sleeping bag the whole time if you have to spend much time in your tent in the evening, and also warming the tent up in the morning before you get out of your bag so you can dress in a warm tent.

I know a lot of guys on here don't use a stove at all, but my first experience was 4 nights in montana in late november, and I was very happy to have the stove in the mornings and evenings!
I agree with cornfedkiller. I own a titanium stove but think they are overrated. I would spend the money and get a warmer lighter sleeping bag. Western Mountaineering comes to mind.

OP
dsotm223

dsotm223

FNG
What bag and pad are you currently using?
Ive got a klimit insulated static v thats been awesome. I dont have a heavy bag yet. I was trying to decide if I could get away with a stove first heavy bag 2nd. Its very apparent that I cant so Im on the search.

Ive got a klimit insulated static v thats been awesome. I dont have a heavy bag yet. I was trying to decide if I could get away with a stove first heavy bag 2nd. Its very apparent that I cant so Im on the search.

When it comes to bags, don't equate weight with performance. There's some heavy bags out there that flat out suck and wont keep you warm. I'd take a hard look at the made in USA bags from Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering, both offer excellent performance and very reasonable weight.

I just went through a major upgrade to my sleep system and bought a FF bag and a stove. WM bags also come highly recommended.

RELIANT

FNG
Is it just me or does anyone else run two lighter bags instead of just a heavy bag in the late season? I double up on 20°F bags (actually a bag and quilt)? Having a stove for the late season is a game changer for drying items out and just killing time during the extra hours of darkness...mid to late November is a different world when compared to early September.

Is it just me or does anyone else run two lighter bags instead of just a heavy bag in the late season? I double up on 20°F bags (actually a bag and quilt)? Having a stove for the late season is a game changer for drying items out and just killing time during the extra hours of darkness...mid to late November is a different world when compared to early September.
I do the same, bag plus quilt. Works a mint. Synthetic quilt on top pulls moisture out of the down, or at least I believe it. 😄

Moserkr

WKR
Ive been using the same kelty cosmic down 20* bag (survival rating) for over 5 years now. I also have a few hot tent setups thats i use every chance i get just because it makes life so much more comfortable out there. I need to upgrade that sleeping bag, but i have pushed its limits down to 0* with the stove plenty of times now. Not the safest choice but Im in areas I know well and worst comes to worst I can pack out.

@WeiserBucks had a great post. If you can, get the sleeping bag that is rated for your temp and is of high quality - ff or wm. Id do that before a stove. Cant say id recommend a quilt to someone with little experience. After the sleeping bag, get the stove for sure. My solo tipi sounds as small as yours and gets super hot with the stove. As others said once they burn out, the heat is just gone, so stoking every 1-2 hours is needed IF you know how to keep em going that long. On average I can keep one going for 2 hours max.

A good 3+ season bag should be around 2lbs. My kelty is 2.5lbs and definitely only a 3 season if that. You get what you pay for. Make sure your sleeping pad is good too. Xtherm seems to be the standard for cold weather. Good luck. Start by camping close to your truck or house if you have to to learn your setup. Then push out further as you gain experience. A few years later and you will be 10 miles deep all alone having a great time.

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
I realize it's subjective but I've thought about doing this as well . I have a decent 20 bag and a great 20 quilt. How low have you gone comfortably with the quilt/bag setup?

mooster

WKR
Agree with previous posts. My stove doesn’t provide much warmth once the very small fire is out. Once we quit tending the fire, the tent (lightweight tipi) soon cools down and eventually becomes whatever temp it is outside. I plan my sleeping bag based on expected ambient temperature.

jonson25

FNG
A stove is a beautiful thing if you're in nasty wet weather for drying boots, clothes and gear out. It can come in handy for melting snow for water and can be used for boiling water for making food if you run out or are low on fuel. That all being said it won't replace a quality sleep system to keep you warm and comfortable throughout the night. The stoves do not hold a lot of wood and need to be constantly 'fed' to keep them going. They are great when going and get the tent hot! But to keep them going all night it takes a lot of wood, choring to cut wood and alarms set throughout the night. A lot of precious sleep is lost with alarms, it is better to go to sleep with a hot tent and a quality sleeping system that will carry you throughout the rest of the night once the stove is out.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Consider adding a sleeping bag liner like a twin flat sheet or polyester bag liner. That'll warm ya much more at night inside your normal bag.