Stove wood prep time and amount

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
I think it heats it more evenly since the heat runs under the whole top to get to the pipe rather than just go straight to the pipe. Should be fine for cooking, just slows the burn some and keeps heat from going straight out the pipe.
Zap, this baffle concept is new to me, but I'm really liking what it could do to enhance the stove. A question about making a baffle.....How much gap is needed between the top of the stove and the concave side of the baffle. I'm running a seek sxl which has a 10.25 inch width so wondering if 12 inch foil would create enough space or if 15 inches would be best?

*zap*

WKR
It is best to make one out of a piece of roll flashing and try it. You want about 1.5" drop at the center. 12" might be good for the length.

Poser

WKR
I bought a new stove recently from Lite Outdoors with a baffle upgrade. It definitely holds heat longer.

For 3rd rifle, I went in the weekend before and spent about 2 hours sawing and chopping wood. That was enough to last for 3 days + a bit of surplus. You can really burn through some wood if you are going to keep feeding the stove through the night. Setting up, cutting wood etc after dark is going to really cut into your sleep. While I do a fair amount of mobile hunting and minimalist camping, when it comes to hot tenting, I favor a stationary setup as it’s a good bit of work and logistics.

OP
erocs_88

erocs_88

FNG
For 3rd rifle, I went in the weekend before and spent about 2 hours sawing and chopping wood. That was enough to last for 3 days + a bit of surplus. You can really burn through some wood if you are going to keep feeding the stove through the night. Setting up, cutting wood etc after dark is going to really cut into your sleep. While I do a fair amount of mobile hunting and minimalist camping, when it comes to hot tenting, I favor a stationary setup as it’s a good bit of work and logistics.

This is exactly what's kept me from getting one. My hunting style has shifted to being more nomadic most times. I've been married to spots, when I should have left. No doubt I've also left places when I should have stayed. I don't think I'd use it all the time but probably worth adding to my arsenal.

Do most of you guys that run stoves also usually hunt with at least one other person? For two it's a no brainier weight wise. And that makes the chore of prepping wood more bearable and worth while. I joke with my wife that finding the perfect hunting partner is harder than finding a wife . Lately I've been moving too much for work, maybe one day I'll settle down and find "the one"

Poser

WKR
This is exactly what's kept me from getting one. My hunting style has shifted to being more nomadic most times. I've been married to spots, when I should have left. No doubt I've also left places when I should have stayed. I don't think I'd use it all the time but probably worth adding to my arsenal.

Do most of you guys that run stoves also usually hunt with at least one other person? For two it's a no brainier weight wise. And that makes the chore of prepping wood more bearable and worth while. I joke with my wife that finding the perfect hunting partner is harder than finding a wife . Lately I've been moving too much for work, maybe one day I'll settle down and find "the one"

It is better with a partner if you are going to use a tipi style tent with a larger stove. That’s a lot of weight and volume to carry. For solo, I’d lean more towards a 1.5 person shelter with a 14 inch cylinder stove. -much less pack volume, but you have to cut your wood down even smaller and burn time is reduced significantly.

I have hunted solo out of a Cimarron with a medium stove, but again, I setup a stationary camp and cut most of my wood before the season opened. For that matter, I’m planning to cut some woodpiles this summer in a couple of locations i elk hunt in during first rifle. I only bring a stove during 1st rifle on particularly cold and wet years, but even then, the time spent cutting wood really eats into hunting and sleeping time. That trip will always be inherently more mobile tab 3rd rifle, but that’s going to involve camping in 3-4 known locations, so easy to have a cache of wood.

southLA

WKR
I hunt out of a LBO with a medium U-turn solo, though I do have the extension if someone ever needs to bunk with me. It would be kind of a hassle to break down the stove if you had to every day. I have generally stayed in a spot at least 2 days with this setup.

Poser

WKR
I hunt out of a LBO with a medium U-turn solo, though I do have the extension if someone ever needs to bunk with me. It would be kind of a hassle to break down the stove if you had to every day. I have generally stayed in a spot at least 2 days with this setup.

Yeah, same for me if I’m being mobile. If I am going to move before light, I’ll usually forego the stove and break it down. Waking up, using a stove and then breaking it down, packing up and getting somewhere before first light is way too much hassle IMO. At the same time, not using the stove defeats the purpose of having it.

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I think the hot tent would be a pain if you moved every day. I use a Cimarron with XL stove. Usually, I will setup for at least 2-3 days. Firewood is fairly easy if you pick a good campsite location. You can just break off smaller sticks for the most part. I do always have the folding saw for 2-3" logs. Once you get used to your stove they are pretty sweet. It took awhile to get the burn just right. Baffled correctly I can get some coals going during dinner, and then load it up with large pieces, adjust baffles to just barely keep it going, and it burns for about 3 hours. By the time I start to feel any chill it is time to wake up and start a quick fire while I get ready. For October or later hunts I won't go without again. Earlier season hunts just leave the stove at home and save weight. The Tipi's setup very quick.

*zap*

WKR
20221214_184308.jpg

Kni-co trekker set in my so 4 man. It gets toasty guick with the fan going on low. Having adequate kindling is something I have found important.