Stove

North61

Lil-Rokslider
I used the Soto Windmaster this summer and liked it. Solo with a light titanium pot it's hard to beat. It's as good or better in a wind than any other cannister stand alone but you still need to find a sheltered spot to run it. It's regulated so runs well on the last dregs of fuel.

For two guys once you get a big enough pot I felt I was better off with the MSR windburner. A little heavier but this thing is an absolute beast in the wind and very compact. In real world use you save on fuel use because of how great it is in windy conditions. Three guys I move up to the MSR REACTOR. God I love that thing. Also a beast in the Wind and fast and capable with a big pot like the 2.5 Litre. Enough water for 3-4 guys or tea and the dehydrated bag meal for 2. Spendy but well worth it. Just don't buy a jet boil. They don't stand behind their product (I know throgh a personal experience with their "warranty" department, and they don't support hunters.

People talk about wanting a stove that simmers. I don't get that. When backpacking I only boil. I use a cozy or insulation to keep the dehydrated bag meal hot to reconstitute and never waste fuel. Simmering is for canoeing.

SniperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Don't know about best, but I use a MSR whisperlite. Folds up small, is nearly indestructable, and is easily maintained in the field. It fits inside my cook pot (minus the fuel bottle) Fuel bottles are available in different sizes depending on your needs. I've been using this one for about 7 years.

gustafsj

Lil-Rokslider
Curious what people are using for lightweight below freezing? I haven’t had good luck with canister stoves, alcohol or esbit below freezing. The second two are just two slow. I have a Whisperlite Universal that I am going to try to use in inverted canister mode, but it is definitely heavier than I would like. I think the MSR Windpro II is a few ounces lighter, which can also run the canister in inverted mode. But just curios if there are other options out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North61

Lil-Rokslider
In cold weather (below -10C) I switch from Canisters to the MSR Whsperlite or Whisperlite international and white gas. Great for melting snow and works every-time so far over the last 20 years or so.

The new Pocket Rocket Deluxe looks to be in a similar class as the Soto Windmaster and it's easier to find here in Canada. Outdoor gear lab did a heck of a test that might help.

Last edited:

ebubedike

FNG
I recently spent a very cold winter month, in the bush, experimenting with ways to deal with sustained sub-zero temps. I started to do the same research covered in this article. So, I have a STRONG appreciation for the experience and effort that went into publishing this information. Please keep up the good work!

renagde

WKR
I use a MSR Pocket Rocket II. I had no problem in 30º weather and it did much better in the wind then my brothers cheap amazon stove and boiled my water about twice as fast.

The optimus Crux Lite is a good little stove. Under 3 oz and has good stable pot supports that are easy to deploy.
It doesn't have the ignitor on it, I've had stoves with and without and I think they are a worthwhile accessory. The worst thing that can happen is they won't work in which case you use your bic lighter.

Sock

FNG
Whisperlite International any day of the year. It runs on multiple types of fuel, multiple sized refillable containers, easy to disassemble and fix in the field, works beautifully in wind and freezing temperatures. You can bring empty canisters on international flights, and fill them at a gas station for less than $1 when traveling internationally.

Only thing to watch out for is the explosive nature of white gas/gasoline and remembering to pump the stove to keep the canister pressurized.

Been using one since I first started backpacking 15 years ago.

I've been using a BRS stove. It is simple, super lightweight, and cheap ($6 on ebay).

My MSR pocket rocket has become my spare since I bought the BRS.

I use a stupid light brs titanium stove most of the time.
Curious what people are using for lightweight below freezing?
If it is going to be below freezing during the day, I'll bring my Kovea spider which runs canisters flipped upside down. Way lighter than the whisperlite or dragonfly that I used to drag along.

gustafsj

Lil-Rokslider
If it is going to be below freezing during the day, I'll bring my Kovea spider which runs canisters flipped upside down. Way lighter than the whisperlite or dragonfly that I used to drag along.

I was just looking at the spider, what do you use for a wind screen? didn't see that it comes with one...