Stoves: Box vs Cylinder

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Do you have a prefrence on brand?

I can't say I love any of the TI stoves I have tried. Being lightweight is a trade-off for burn time and durability. I do like the door on the Kifaru's the best. But I did order a Fastfold Ti stove with a similar door, and I hope it goes together faster.85255355_2864936733568526_2765895647985926144_o.jpg5ULVn_-P.jpeg

@Jordan Budd

a90d3a1718744b565817248ac100a222.jpg

Last edited:

skierhs

WKR
I can't say I love any of the TI stoves I have tried. Being lightweight is a trade-off for burn time and durability. I do like the door on the Kifaru's the best. But I did order a Fastfold Ti stove with a similar door, and I hope it goes together faster.View attachment 153125View attachment 153130

📸 @Jordan Budd

Thanks! I’m trying to figure out what stove to go with for a 8 man tipi for backpacking with a partner or two and also spring bear base camp next to the vehicle.

Hoss1984

FNG
What’s everyone using for stoves in their hot tent setups?

Have had a Kifaru 18” cylinder stove before, kept the tent plenty warm. Felt like it could’ve been built a little more sturdy, but it was also pretty darn light.

Looking into getting another stove for a Sawtooth. Wanting to get something built a little more study as I would not mind carrying an extra 1/2-1# because the tent/stove load would most likely be split with another. Mainly looking at two stoves and trying to decide between a box stove, or another cylinder stove.

Seek Outside Medium (maybe large?) box stove. Saw they came out with a new “U-Turn” design that looks easy to assemble.

The other is a Lite Outdoors 18” cylinder stove. This thing looks like it is built like a tank. Also see they have some baffles you can buy to use with them.

Has anyone used either of these stoves and would like to share their experiences on things like ease of setup/takedown, sturdiness, volume of the stoves, burn time (probably pretty subjective to dampeners and what kind of wood you’re burning), etc?

Open to suggestions on stoves besides what I listed here too. Thank you!!
I like the lite outdoors one

Tshug

FNG
I'm interested in picking a stove also. Have the SO Cimarron and can't decide between cylinder or box stove. Weight isn't the biggest issue but build quality and ease of use. HELP🤔

reaper

WKR
I'm interested in picking a stove also. Have the SO Cimarron and can't decide between cylinder or box stove. Weight isn't the biggest issue but build quality and ease of use. HELP
Box stove are better, seekoutside have the best design imo,the slidding door can be open right or left and more airtight,kifaru door are not airtight at all,you can clearly see a gap between the door and the stove,they are heavier(stainless steel) seekoutside are made from titanium.Cylinder stoves are great but with long time use the body will wrap and it will get a PITA to set-up ...box stoves are faster.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

AKLiving

FNG
I use a hybrid that has a flat top and bottom with foil sides. It's very easy to set up and works great. It was a Ruta Locura stove based off of TI Goat WiFi. I'm not sure if it's available anymore but I've seen WiFis for sale.
IMG_5995.jpgIMG_5994.jpg

tsteckle

FNG
I went with a Lite Outdoors XL. 10" x 18" long. With the rods on top of the cylinder you can still cook on it. I went with the cylinder design for a couple reasons, packs smaller, more volume, and from what I've read more efficient. Been very happy with the stove.