Stoves: Box vs Cylinder

marktole

WKR
What’s everyone using for stoves in their hot tent setups?

Have had a Kifaru 18” cylinder stove before, kept the tent plenty warm. Felt like it could’ve been built a little more sturdy, but it was also pretty darn light.

Looking into getting another stove for a Sawtooth. Wanting to get something built a little more study as I would not mind carrying an extra 1/2-1# because the tent/stove load would most likely be split with another. Mainly looking at two stoves and trying to decide between a box stove, or another cylinder stove.

Seek Outside Medium (maybe large?) box stove. Saw they came out with a new “U-Turn” design that looks easy to assemble.

The other is a Lite Outdoors 18” cylinder stove. This thing looks like it is built like a tank. Also see they have some baffles you can buy to use with them.

Has anyone used either of these stoves and would like to share their experiences on things like ease of setup/takedown, sturdiness, volume of the stoves, burn time (probably pretty subjective to dampeners and what kind of wood you’re burning), etc?

Open to suggestions on stoves besides what I listed here too. Thank you!!

I've been shopping stoves. I was leaning towards a box because they seem to be easier for warming food and coffee. No experience with one though.

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
Here are a couple pics of the Lite Outdoors 18". I chose it because of it's weight and how compact it is broken down making it easier to pack. You can see my pot on it in the second pic. It's great for keeping your food / drink warm or even melting snow (like I was doing here) but I wouldn't want to use it for my primary cooking source.

DhAukP0.jpg

4VEwvwG.jpg

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer a box stove for ease of assembly and warming stuff up. I found the cylinder stove to be too fiddly to put together, but that could have been my lack of experience with it.

I just settled on the SO large u-turn for my cimmaron. Will report what I think of it when it comes in.

I run a XL SO titanium box in a 12 person tipi. Light wt. (I think 51 oz. including carry sack), pretty sturdy for what it weighs, big flat surface to easily heat water or cook on, and the biggest plus, IMO, is the large door for feeding it larger pieces of wood for longer burn times.
106653182784f46f4cde93db9f9a5fc0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
marktole

marktole

WKR
Thank you for the feedback from everyone!

@SwampDog13 , looking forward to what you have to say about the assembly on that U-Turn design!

colersu22

WKR
I have a large seek outside stove in my Cimarron and have no complaints with it. I went with the large over the medium for the extra length in the fire box. I was looking at getting the U turn conversion kit for it but haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

adieatrick

Lil-Rokslider
I too have a large seek outside in my cimarron and it is awesome. Minimal weight for the bigger firebox and assembly is super easy.

tdot

WKR
Apparently the U Turn has a lower heat output then the regular series, due to the smaller 2.5" pipe, might be something to check on if your considering a borderline sized stove.

I prefer the longer cylinder stoves for the lighter options, purely for the length of wood that I can burn. But if I bump up to a larger tent at some point, I'll definitely try the bigger box stoves, for their even larger fire boxes.

Buck2747

FNG
I bought a winner well fast food titanium stove a little bulkier but no loose parts to drop or loose in the snow. I hate that is made in china but I like the ease of set up smooth top worth a look for some I have no complaints so far