Strap on, slide on, or...?

Need to do something before the fall. I’ve tuned the ILF bow without a quiver on, and for turkey season I’ve been using an old quiver attached to my backpack... I will probably like that route for deer hunting better than run and gun chasing turkeys (missed in by 1” the other day btw). I do have limb socks on to protect and Camo the limbs some. Did some research and didn’t really find what I was looking For so here it is. Is it just personal preference for the strap on or slide on? Saw that some strap ons don’t stay out super well (without tire tube under). Or should I stick with arrows out of the backpack? I plan to spot and stalk out west and will probably want arrows more convenient.

Last edited:

oldgoat

WKR
Get a Selway slide on or a Selway Quick Disconnect Slide On, I prefer the second. Strap Ons from Thunderhorn work pretty good but the rawhide on the Selway hold up better and look better longer than the leather on the Thunderhorn.

OP
bjfoxhoven
@oldgoat i saw that quick disconnect and like the idea of that since I do leave the limbs on my bow a lot. Be nice to be able to take it off. I actually was leaving Selway initially. Only hesitation is I may like a rounded attachment at the bottom to keep the arrows closer together. Maybe that isn’t much of an issue though.

oldgoat

WKR
@oldgoat i saw that quick disconnect and like the idea of that since I do leave the limbs on my bow a lot. Be nice to be able to take it off. I actually was leaving Selway initially. Only hesitation is I may like a rounded attachment at the bottom to keep the arrows closer together. Maybe that isn’t much of an issue though.
We use six arrow ones on all our bows, we offset them in the hood and that keeps the feathers from rubbing together and they still line out pretty good on top to keep a slimmer profile. Can't have too many arrows hunting back in the mountains! Nice to have a grouse/stumping arrow plus 5 elk arrows!

ledflight

WKR
I use a strap on for my hybrid longbow that I bought for an old recurve, so one strap on advantage is that it can accommodate different widths.

I have a Selway Bear Grayling slide on longbow model that doesn't fit my hybrid.

I love my Selway slide-on. Very easy to install, light weight, stays put, looks great, and holds arrows securely. The only reason I would go a different route would be if I were taking it off frequently or intending to share between bows. My limbs fill up the slide-on slot perfectly, so I can't speak to how well it would stay put if the limb were narrower than the slot in the quiver mount, for what it's worth.

Need to do something before the fall. I’ve tuned the ILF bow without a quiver on, and for turkey season I’ve been using an old quiver attached to my backpack... I will probably like that route for deer hunting better than run and gun chasing turkeys (missed in by 1” the other day btw). I do have limb socks on to protect and Camo the limbs some. Did some research and didn’t really find what I was looking For so here it is. Is it just personal preference for the strap on or slide on? Saw that some strap ons don’t stay out super well (without tire tube under). Or should I stick with arrows out of the backpack? I plan to spot and stalk out west and will probably want arrows more convenient.
Neither. I use a regular bolt-on, detachable bow quiver on all my ILF takedowns. It's just so much simpler when I want to take the bow down, or if I want to remove the quiver once I'm in my stand, etc. Many of today's bolt-on bow quivers are also very light too.

I used a Selway slide-on for my Hill-style longbows way back when, primarily to add some mass weight and absorb some of the hand shock. It made a big difference in those bows.

OP
bjfoxhoven
Neither. I use a regular bolt-on, detachable bow quiver on all my ILF takedowns. It's just so much simpler when I want to take the bow down, or if I want to remove the quiver once I'm in my stand, etc. Many of today's bolt-on bow quivers are also very light too.
Well my galaxy ILF riser Is not tapped for a bolt on unfortunately. Or else I would probably go that route.

Tartan

WKR
another vote for the selway slide-on. I don't take my quiver off when hunting and they are very secure. I use them even on my ILF as they have been quieter than any of the bolt on options I've tried. Unless I'm packing out an animal my bows don't get taken apart much.

OP
bjfoxhoven
Has anyone tested what they normally do to the tune of the bow? I’m sure it probably varies considerably from one set up to the next. I will be interested to see how they change my bare shaft flight.

Has anyone tested what they normally do to the tune of the bow? I’m sure it probably varies considerably from one set up to the next. I will be interested to see how they change my bare shaft flight.
adding weight to a riser will cause an arrow to behave like a stiffer arrow, but not usually enough to worry about on a hunting setup.

oldgoat

WKR
I thought I seen a difference once, then I realized the quiver wasn't installed far enough down the fade. I won't shoot without one anymore, added mass is much welcomed, plus it helps the bow stand up when you set it on the ground.

LostArra

WKR
I'm not using a bow quiver that requires string removal to mount it on the bow or to remove it so the slide on is out.
I also prefer a bow quiver that has a connection that links the upper and lower parts of the quiver. I think it helps with stability on the bow and it's handier when the quiver is removed.

One piece longbows with short risers and long working limbs present a challenge to mount any bow quiver because the hood and lower arrow grippers are so close together. Any suggestions?

I'm using GN on recurve and EFA with talon attachment on the hybrid longbow.

Treestand hunters, learn from my blunder. I climb into a treestand in predawn darkness. First time in this set up with lots of cover so I'm optimistic. I'm pulling my longbow up and it gets hung up in some tree limbs and I manage to get it into the stand. I immediately hear deer moving close so I nock an arrow and wait for shooting light. As soon as I can see there is a doe in range broadside. As I release the arrow the bottom half of my quiver slides down the limb and pulls my other arrows out of the hood and they drop to the ground as the released arrow sails into the doe's hind quarter. At first I didn't know what happened. Thought my limb hit a branch but realized I moved my the lower half of my quiver while pulling it up.

Luck was with me because when I climbed down to hopefully find my arrow I see the deer on the ground about 50 yards away. I was using a large Ace two blade that had penetrated the leg but the leg movement caused the broadhead to unzip her belly like a field dress cut. Intestines were hanging out and she was dead. That was the last time I used an unconnected bow quiver and I also pay more attention after pulling up my bow.