Strategy for when there is no food

State does not allow baiting; this is a fall hunt.
The unit had a wicked fire in 2018, and the reality on the ground is that the majority berries got torched. This is a bad year for acorn production to boot.
There are creeks with aspen showing the bear claw marks. I don't own trail cams. Can't glass in those bottoms though.

How would you proceed? Primarily looking for feedback and thoughts from more seasoned fall bear hunters.

Poser is 100% right.

Time to rack up some miles and look for fresh sign. Once found, take a look at what they’re eating and then go find it. Look for fresh tracks and beds as well.

I’d still glass where possible even though it may only be pockets.

One thing I’ve learned about hunting black bears: don’t be married to your preconceptions. Things change and you need to change your approach when necessary.

crossone

FNG
Still have to find the bears otherwise you’re just burning sweet smelling incense while communing with nature.

Same thing with predator calling. They have to be in the area for it to have an opportunity to work.
Yep, that's all true. However, if you can get something to at least get up and move, that's a big advantage. Critters that are laid-up during the day are difficult to find.

Poser

WKR
Yep, that's all true. However, if you can get something to at least get up and move, that's a big advantage. Critters that are laid-up during the day are difficult to find.

Bears in September tend to feed ravenously -up to 20 hours a day ahead of hibernation. If they are actively feeding in an area, they should be about and about during daylight hours.

OP
ilikefunkymusic
Appreciate the input fellas. This is year 2 for me. Last year I was in a creek surrounded by oaks (covered in acorns) and I was swimming in fresh sign - just couldn't connect.

This year I'm in a unit where I can actually do some glassing in addition to covering ground in the thick of it. I really want to be able to do a proper spot and stalk on one of these awesome and ELUSIVE animals.
Elk, Deer, and Antelope have all been easy for me in comparison to Bear. I still haven't been able to spot one; well, other than when hiking and not hunting/scouting... as it goes.

Poser

WKR
Appreciate the input fellas. This is year 2 for me. Last year I was in a creek surrounded by oaks (covered in acorns) and I was swimming in fresh sign - just couldn't connect.

This year I'm in a unit where I can actually do some glassing in addition to covering ground in the thick of it. I really want to be able to do a proper spot and stalk on one of these awesome and ELUSIVE animals.
Elk, Deer, and Antelope have all been easy for me in comparison to Bear. I still haven't been able to spot one; well, other than when hiking and not hunting/scouting... as it goes.

I’ve heard it said that Fall bear is one of the most difficult big game tags to fill. I hunted 10 days total last September and never saw one -was always a week or so behind them as I kept moving to lower elevations each weekend. This season is a bumper mast crop as we’ve had a lot of rain. My strategy is to have 3 elevation profiles to start with opening weekend and I’m going to start with the lowest this year instead of the highest. Going in prepared to spend the nigh but will uproot and move higher if I find nothing. Going to scout one of those areas this evening.

Other than mountain lion, I find black bear to be the most difficult big game animal to hunt (at least in AZ). I love to hunt them despite them whooping my butt more often than not.

Blacktailaddiction

Lil-Rokslider
I find bear droppings always tell you the info you need. Every pile I come across I kick it open and examine it. I look for what’s inside and hone in on those areas whether it is grass, blackberries, acorns, manzanita berries, peas, etc.

dtrkyman

WKR
Their eating something, and in mass quantities, find it and your golden. Fresh burn, has it rained there may be some fresh green coming up somewhere?

I thought it was just me. Whitetail & elk have been easy for me but I have yet to connect on a bear.

sndmn11

WKR

I am on year four I think in the same unit between myself and/or my wife. In the past one of us has always had either archery deer or elk, and we split focus ending up in never seeing a bear. This year I have the bear tag and that is all we have so there are no distractions.