StratoSpire 1 or 2 vs. LBO: Reviews?

Read1t48

WKR
For guys that have the StratoSpire 1 or 2 or the LBO

Looking to get either the Stratospire 1 or 2 (there isn't much of a weight penalty to go to the two and the size is much bigger). The shell can be used as a stand alone shelter on bivy hunts and can add the inner nest in bad weather.

Anyone have experience with the Stratospire, or have had the LBO too, and what you would recommend?
Do you like the Strato for 3 or 4 season hunting?
Do you think you could install a stove jack in one of the Strato vestibule areas -- even with the nest installed?
Does the LBO provide protection from rain without the Vestibule?

Pro's of the StratoSpire...
* Can be double wall
* 2 entries and two vestibules -- vestibules look very roomy
* Can do solid interior or nest - depending on weather conditions.
* The shell by itself could easily fit 3-4 people -- tight but doable in a pinch. Big footprints w/out the nest.
* The shell provides a fully enclosed shelter.

Pro's of the LBO...
* Seems like more flexibility to add stove jack
* Only takes 1 pole (or stick) to set-up
* Taller center. Could likely sit in a chair inside the tent.
* Modularity to add vestibule, tarp connector, or additional bases depending on # of people.
* Could always order a solid-style nest that can be used for buggy or wet conditions.

PMcGee

WKR
I have the stratosphere 2 and like it. I usually run it without the nest unless the girlfriend is with. It's a good shelter. There's no way you're fitting 4 or even 3 guys in with gear. It's nice and roomy for 1 guy and gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Stratospire 2 and also like it. You could fit 3 in it but it be a bit cozy. 2 is great with extra room inside as well as vestibules. This is not considered a 4 season tent. I think a stove in the vestibule would be a challenge and I'd just bring an extra gas cannister(s) for the cook stove. I've cooked in the vestibule and it heats the tent great but that was September. I got it for the great headroom but I don't use a chair inside the tent.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

I have the Stratospire 2 and also like it. You could fit 3 in it but it'd be a bit cozy. 2 is great with extra room inside as well as vestibules. This is not considered a 4 season tent. I think a stove in the vestibule would be a challenge and I'd just bring an extra gas cannister(s) for the cook stove. I've cooked in the vestibule and it heats the tent great but that was September. I got it for the great headroom but I don't use a chair inside the tent.

OP
R

Read1t48

WKR
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking about the possibility of the chair (and the stove) for trips where I brought only the base canopy and left the nest at home. I've had a MountainSmith shelter that has a similar design but I wasn't sure if the usable sq. footage as close to the StratoSpire 2. It seems like the LBO base would be bigger all the way around with more head room, too.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For guys that have the StratoSpire 1 or 2 or the LBO

Looking to get either the Stratospire 1 or 2 (there isn't much of a weight penalty to go to the two and the size is much bigger). The shell can be used as a stand alone shelter on bivy hunts and can add the inner nest in bad weather.

Anyone have experience with the Stratospire, or have had the LBO too, and what you would recommend?
Do you like the Strato for 3 or 4 season hunting?
Do you think you could install a stove jack in one of the Strato vestibule areas -- even with the nest installed?
Does the LBO provide protection from rain without the Vestibule?

Pro's of the StratoSpire...
* Can be double wall
* 2 entries and two vestibules -- vestibules look very roomy
* Can do solid interior or nest - depending on weather conditions.
* The shell by itself could easily fit 3-4 people -- tight but doable in a pinch. Big footprints w/out the nest.
* The shell provides a fully enclosed shelter.

Pro's of the LBO...
* Seems like more flexibility to add stove jack
* Only takes 1 pole (or stick) to set-up
* Taller center. Could likely sit in a chair inside the tent.
* Modularity to add vestibule, tarp connector, or additional bases depending on # of people.
* Could always order a solid-style nest that can be used for buggy or wet conditions.

I don't know what you plan to use it for, but I have the LBO + vestibule. It's a great 3/4 season tent for backpack hunting. Casually fits two + gear. The Base alone does provide protection from rain, but you do have to make sure the opening is pointed down wind. You can crawl in the back and get decent weather protection. You can run the base with a nest as well, but if you're in the mountains and expect weather you'll want the vestibule.

OP
R

Read1t48

WKR
Brad
Do you use a stove in your LBO? Will the base sleep two guys with a stove reasonably?

dog812

WKR
Just the base for two guys and stove?
If your running just the base, you could do a open fire out front.
I have my lbo and vestibule setup right now in my yard, Seam sealing if you want Any pics or measurements.
e788f9149b071f3347e6fd1d70ccec15.jpg
e04d85ebb3ed680276b47563627f5fbc.jpg

dog812

WKR
If you have the s.j in the base like I do.. The guys have to sleep with their feet out of the shelter and the stove in the middle. This pic might give you a better idea... I put a mini bbq where the stove would go. There is a couple feet behind the stove but I'd say only for gear or wood storage.
8e529bb40a6b4714dea06b9fa66bccb2.jpg

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Brad
Do you use a stove in your LBO? Will the base sleep two guys with a stove reasonably?

I don't run a stove in my LBO, but a lot of people do. The base is really a one person shelter, but you could get two people in it. You would want a bivvy sack for the person on the outside if you have 2 people in it.

If you want to run a stove you'll want the 3 piece vestibule since that is where your stove jack is installed.

OP
R

Read1t48

WKR
Great pics. Thanks for sharing!
It looks like you lose a lot of space in the vestibule toward the back-- where the stakes are

dog812

WKR
Definitely... Within a foot of the whole perimeter is unusable, unless you want to get wet from touching the sides and getting condensation.

worx53

WKR
i've been in snow with the strato2 and a s long as you keep knocking it off its fine. Been in some wicked rain also and never been wet. got rid of my hilleberg its that good and much lighter.

I have the Stratospire 2 and also like it. You could fit 3 in it but it be a bit cozy. 2 is great with extra room inside as well as vestibules. This is not considered a 4 season tent. I think a stove in the vestibule would be a challenge and I'd just bring an extra gas cannister(s) for the cook stove. I've cooked in the vestibule and it heats the tent great but that was September. I got it for the great headroom but I don't use a chair inside the tent.

Same here. I use mine SS2 solo, i like having all my gear in the nest (except boots sometimes) and it is the tallenst of the tarptents. Yes, you can modify it for a stove. I won't pack the extra weight or hassle with a stove, I just bring a flask instead. <g>

hot-tent.jpg