Stretched cable question

groc426

FNG
Hello Everyone,

I'm about a year into archery, so I'm still learning, but have a few questions. I have a Mathews V3 with 70 lbs, 28.5" mods. I've been working on building up some new arrows for next year and so started measuring my bow. With my limbs maxed out my bow is at:
  • 66.5 lbs draw weight
  • 31.125" ATA
  • 6" brace height
  • 29.125" AMO draw length
  • Original Zebra cables & strings
Is it possible to get the bow to specs with the Zebra strings or do I need to look at getting new one?

If possible to get to back to specs, is it simply a matter of adding twists to the cables?

I did take my bow into my local shop and unfortunately some not-so-confident fill-in was helping today, instead of the normal tech. They added some twists to the cable, but only added a half a pound more (now 67 lbs) to the draw weight and then said that is all he felt comfortable doing. Since twisting the cables my bow has been shooting 5 inches to the left at 20 yards. If twists were added to only one side of the cable, would this change the POI?

I appreciate all help!

OR Archer

WKR
To gain your lost poundage it’d be about 3 twists per cable. Make sure the timing is checked and reset after the cables have been twisted also.

Since there are no yokes on a v3 the only poi change you should see is vertically.

Id take a peek at your mods and just verify that you do indeed have 70# mods.

OP
G

groc426

FNG
Thank you so much! I verified both mods are 70 lbs.

I don't have a draw board, but did look at the cams while slowly pulling the bow on my scale. They cams look like they both hit the cables at the exact same time. The cables are also in the center of the holes in the cams.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how many twists were added from the shop. If I go back and have them add more twists, is there any way to know if the cables have been twisted too much?

NY12020

FNG
Unfortunately, I'm not sure how many twists were added from the shop. If I go back and have them add more twists, is there any way to know if the cables have been twisted too much?
If your ATA measurement is at spec; they have not been twisted too much. If the ATA is longer than spec they can be twisted more. Twisting the cables can impact left/right point of impact because the cables are not centered; they are attached to the right side of the cam on a right hand bow (reverse on left hand).

OP
G

groc426

FNG
NY12020,

Thank you so much! That is very helpful. I did go back back in and had some more twists added to my cables. I probably need to attempt to tune my bow now after having my cables changed.