Stretchy and spacious mummy bag

zacattack

WKR
Are WM bags spacious? Stretchy? Side sleepage? Flop around all night friendly?

I know they are very well made, but I get claustrophobic and can’t handle feeling constrained.
Some of them like the badger are made with bigger dimensions. Just depends on the model

Rockchuck

WKR
I have 2 of the original super stretch downhugger 800s and they are great. I love the stretch and the feeling of space they give you.

Are WM bags spacious? Stretchy? Side sleepage? Flop around all night friendly?

I know they are very well made, but I get claustrophobic and can’t handle feeling constrained.
I can't recall the models I tried but one of them was plenty roomy. The problem was that it causes cold spots.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Been a Big Agnes system fan for a while but it’s time for a change. I sleep cold and those are especially cold. So I’ve had to pack a heavier bag to make up for the fact that their temp ratings are a joke. As I get older, ounces are starting to matter more. Yet, I also get claustrophobic af in a tight and constructive mummy bag. Looking for lightweight spaciousness, or the best compromise between the two.

What do I want?

Looking at a Montbell Hugger. Any others I should consider?

Have you looked at the Zen Bivy Light?

I’m semi tempted to get a 0-20 meeting the same criteria. At the top of my list are the Nemo spoon bags and Sierra Designs cloud zipperless.

I use a Nitro quilt 35 and might just end up getting the 20 as well for colder nights. A quilt is hands down the way to go for weight, and spaciousness. If you spend more you can bet the weight on the Nitro pretty easily. Personally I would rather put more clothes on (that I pack in regardless) then carry another 1.5 pounds (that also costs more) of mummy bag.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I started with one three seasons ago. Then two. Then everyone I hunt with got one. I’ve used lots sleeping bags, most quilts, and the Zen Bivy kills them all for comfort and warmth.
Yes, it certainly seems comfortable. It’s just the tradeoff of carry bulk and weight for that system. It’s a good 2lbs more weight and unknown bulk vs what I typically am used to. I’m having a hard time envisioning the system carried in a backpack. Plus, it’s an unfamiliar contraption. Quite a departure from what I’ve used for 30+ years. I wish I could see one in person. Know any YT vids where it depicts the thing in use? And the size of everything all packed up?

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Yes, it certainly seems comfortable. It’s just the tradeoff of carry bulk and weight for that system. It’s a good 2lbs more weight and unknown bulk vs what I typically am used to. I’m having a hard time envisioning the system carried in a backpack. Plus, it’s an unfamiliar contraption. Quite a departure from what I’ve used for 30+ years. I wish I could see one in person. Know any YT vids where it depicts the thing in use? And the size of everything all packed up?

This does a decent job of showing the overview and overall experience of using it. I’ll get a picture packed up in a couple days.

The Klymit KSB is pretty good for the price. I have a KSB 15 and have slept in it in 15 degrees without getting cold. I really like how it stretches. I am a hot sleeper tho, so your results may vary.

The Klymit KSB is pretty good for the price. I have a KSB 15 and have slept in it in 15 degrees without getting cold. I really like how it stretches. I am a hot sleeper tho, so your results may vary.
I have two of them - The KSB 20 Down Hybrid and the 0 degree Down Hybrid XL. The XL has an insane amount of room, it feels like one of those XL flanel bags you get at cabelas. I didn’t throw it out there because its heavier than my nemo stalker. I am a big guy and felt like I could do somersaults or possibly squeeze a threesome in there🤣

If Form doesn't get you squared away I can with a photo. My 0* XL light bed (quilt and bed sheet attached) fits in a small sea to summit compression sack. For comparison, a 20* kifaru slick bag was noticeably harder to cram into the same bag.

PlanoDano

FNG
Interesting Thread SDLHTR

Those recommending the ZenBivy, what makes the difference in comfort, clips? sheet and hood?

I currently run a 15 Underground quilt on a wide Nemo Tensor. I always set my pad on thinlight foam pad or sometimes a Switchback (even though it is a few inches narrower).

What is the feature that would make it worth the switch.

I see on the website that the sheet will fit most current pads.

I do carry a Goosefeet down hood on colder trips but honestly have not used it while sleeping

Last edited:
52484CC4-BE1B-4F93-BF2C-50BB8FFB53BE.jpeg
That’s a 20L stuff sack and includes the sheet and quilt, both XL.

Ok, not bad! Do you use their pad or another brand?
I could probably squish it down a bit more, too.

No. I don't recall exactly why, but I remember being unimpressed with their air pad. I think R-Value. I'm using a large Neoair Xtherm. Works fine with the rounded corners.

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
Not an ultralight option but I love my S2S bag. Availability in down or synthetic. I have both temps in down. Extremely roomy (6’1” 250) for a side sleeper who can’t stand the sausage feeling in a mummy. Stash my clothes (and sometimes boots in a grocery bag) in the foot box so i can dress warm and not have frozen boots first thing in the morning. Top can be used as a quilt. Zips on both sides and bottom for lots of adjustments for ventilation or entering/exiting on a particular orientation inside the tent. Bad slope but can rotate my head the other way and not open into the wall of my cimarron. Pad straps keep my airpad (and foam pad when needed) bag together below the waist so I can sit up in morning but bag doesn't slide off the pad at night. Small inside pocket fits my small headlamp.
https://seatosummit.com/products/amplitude-down-sleeping-bag?variant=40017554342061

https://seatosummit.com/products/basecamp-synthetic-sleeping-bag-series

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Interesting Thread SDLHTR

Those recommending the ZenBivy, what makes the difference in comfort, clips? sheet and hood?

I currently run a 15 Underground quilt on a wide Nemo Tensor. I always set my pad on thinlight foam pad or sometimes a Switchback (even though it is a few inches narrower).

What is the feature that would make it worth the switch.

Everything that makes a quilt great, without drafts, cold spots, or sliding off the pad; pillow stays on pad and you don’t need to wear a hood.

It is literally everything great about a quilt (except weight) and everything great about a mummy bag.

OP mentioned sleeping cold without mentioning what kind of pad he's running. I've been there before trying to run a sleeping pad that wasn't rated properly and its amazing how cold you get.

With this said, and with OPs propensity to sleep cold I'd shy away from a quilt and go with a roomier mummy bag from Feathered Friends or Western Mountaineering. Both offer roomier cut bags, you just gotta look on the websites to figure out the model name. Both manufacturers rate their sleeping bags fairly conservatively... for the average person you can typically take the bags down lower than their rating but for OP its likely the rating will be accurate.

I recommend either over the SG option for a few reasons - one, the SG bags are imported. Not usually a big deal, but they're within $100 of the American made counterparts(Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends are both sewn and filled here). Secondly, the design of the WM and FF bags allow for you to shift the down inside the continuous baffles. If its a warmer night you can shift the down underneath you, if it colder you can shift the down to the top of the bag. The SG bags don't allow for this.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Interesting points. Thanks. I was using a Big Agnes insulated air core pad.