Stretchy boot leather??

I have noticed this with other boots I have of this same brand, but this pair is really bad.

When I put them on in the morning they fit snug (width wise), almost too tight......usually tightening up the laces after a couple hours, and by the end of the day they just feel too big. Really frustrating...….any thoughts?

this is an all leather boot

Last edited:
OP
B
I don't know?? I will have to check it out. It isn't the insole, does it with different insoles. These boots do feel softer underneath the insole though, maybe something is going on there?

JD619er

WKR
All leather boots stretch and will be different based on temperature and how much moisture is in the leather at a given time

Wapiti1

WKR
Since leather is a natural material, the characteristics from one cow to another will change end performance. Tanneries try to limit the variability, but they can't get rid of it entirely. Water is the main factor since it swells the leather and allows it to stretch more.

You are also seeing compression of your socks, foot bed, and volume of your foot. Cold foot, smaller foot. Super tight lacing, smaller foot. I know it is said that later in the day, your foot is larger, but that only works if there are no restrictions to blood flow to the foot. If you have on a boot laced tight at the ankle, your foot isn't circulating well.

Last comment is the laces. Some laces stretch more than others and will change with water content.

Jeremy

OP
B
Is it leather stretching or the footbed compressing?

So I think this is a combination of the leather stretching and the tongue compressing. If I don't try to keep them snug all day by tightening the laces every so often, they only loosen up a little in the first hour and stay that way.

Wont work for hunting for me, but they are working out ok for at work.

I should add that this is a non waterproof membrane boot, so the leather probably does get some wetness from my feet.