String failure or shop failure?

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I had a string failure today (pictures below). I had a local shop put on a set of hogwire strings/cables on my RX-3. I’ve put about 300-400 shots on the strings. Today I was shooting and about 3/4 the way through the draw cycle, the string lost a good amount of tension, I semi punched myself in the check, hit the thumb release and sent an arrow flying. I looked over the bow and noticed the yoke string had frayed and wasn’t under as much pressure anymore. It wasn’t a gradual thing, I shot earlier in the day and there was no wear. I also realized the shop didn’t use the plastic piece the original string did. I thought it was odd at the time, but the guy has been working on my bow for 2-3 years and is relatively competent, never had issues. I’m just trying to piece together what happened. String failure? Shop failure? Little of both? Any bow techs please chime in.

Attachments

• FB3F276D-24A8-41D7-B35E-0553AA5742B9.jpeg
    FB3F276D-24A8-41D7-B35E-0553AA5742B9.jpeg
    276 KB · Views: 194
  • 90457DCF-7482-40B5-9E78-1E71DFAEBC46.jpeg
    90457DCF-7482-40B5-9E78-1E71DFAEBC46.jpeg
    382.4 KB · Views: 193
  • 4495AACC-555B-417D-9EE6-6A8458D25E59.jpeg
    4495AACC-555B-417D-9EE6-6A8458D25E59.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 190
OP
Turkeygetpwnd38

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
IMO - Complete shop failure and now the strings are ruined. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that piece is 100% needed there.
Kinda what I’m thinking. I should of questioned them. Have to get a press and start working on my own bows.

If you had noticed it how come you didn't confirm with the shop that it wasn't needed? I'm not saying they aren't at fault, but if you noticed I think you definitely should have called and asked about it. Everyone slips up now and then. The tech should have caught it, but stuff happens.

Should just be able to get a new cable.

Find it hard to believe that it slipped enough for you to notice much difference in the poundage, looks like some fraying to me, not like it's cut and slipping apart. Should still have a good bit of pressure on both yokes.

OP
Turkeygetpwnd38

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
If you had noticed it how come you didn't confirm with the shop that it wasn't needed? I'm not saying they aren't at fault, but if you noticed I think you definitely should have called and asked about it. Everyone slips up now and then. The tech should have caught it, but stuff happens.

Should just be able to get a new cable.

Find it hard to believe that it slipped enough for you to notice much difference in the poundage, looks like some fraying to me, not like it's cut and slipping apart. Should still have a good bit of pressure on both yokes.
You’re right, I should of said something, but the guy had already demonstrated he wasn’t much of a talker and works on bows everyday for at least the 3 years I’ve been going there, assumed he knew what he was doing. I have had other issues with the shop, but not on the technical side of it.

As for the slipping part, I was shooting with my dad who has the exact same bow, so could compare. There is substantially less pressure on the yokes when compared to his. I tried to draw it again and after about a 1/4 way back it didn’t feel right so let down. It is also an 80lbs bow, a little slip during the peak of the cycle is pretty noticeable.

Shout out to Hogwire strings. I reached out to Rob and he said to call him tomorrow and he’d get a new set of cables out to me ASAP.

OR Archer

WKR
Without the yoke splitter there would be no way to set the cam timing correctly and it wouldn’t even be shootable. Not only would the timing be off by a mile so would the set draw length. Those pieces can break causing exactly what you have now. So I think it’s more of an equipment failure and not anything to do with the strings or the tech.

Without the yoke splitter there would be no way to set the cam timing correctly and it wouldn’t even be shootable. Not only would the timing be off by a mile so would the set draw length. Those pieces can break causing exactly what you have now. So I think it’s more of an equipment failure and not anything to do with the strings or the tech.

I started to wonder this same thing. I couldn't figure out how the timing would have been set correctly, and the draw length would have been off as well as the backwall.

OP
Turkeygetpwnd38

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Well I’m an idiot. I was so angry yesterday looking for someone to blame and there isn’t anyone. This all makes sense, so went back to try and find a picture. The yoke splitter was installed, which means it some how broke off during the shot that I was explaining earlier, and that’s what I felt and why the string looks the way it does. Have you ever seen or heard of this happening? Could any damage been done to the bow on that shot?

Attachments

• E810E742-0B00-4B24-8F9A-746EDE7DF1EC.jpeg
    E810E742-0B00-4B24-8F9A-746EDE7DF1EC.jpeg
    508.5 KB · Views: 95

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
Well I’m an idiot. I was so angry yesterday looking for someone to blame and there isn’t anyone. This all makes sense, so went back to try and find a picture. The yoke splitter was installed, which means it some how broke off during the shot that I was explaining earlier, and that’s what I felt and why the string looks the way it does. Have you ever seen or heard of this happening? Could any damage been done to the bow on that shot?

First time I've seen that on my hours of perusing various sights. Good on you realizing what happened. Call Hoyt and see what they recommend or can do.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Well I’m an idiot. I was so angry yesterday looking for someone to blame and there isn’t anyone. This all makes sense, so went back to try and find a picture. The yoke splitter was installed, which means it some how broke off during the shot that I was explaining earlier, and that’s what I felt and why the string looks the way it does.

You mentioned that it is an 80lb bow.......I'm not sure archery manufacturers really test stuff enough at the extremes to see how things hold up. Shooting at 75+ pounds and 32 1/2"+ draw I've had all kinds of things happen over the years that manufacturers reply to as "we've never seen anything like that before". Just be glad that it wasn't a catastrophic failure of some kind.

OP
Turkeygetpwnd38

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
You would think that splitter would be CNC Aluminum with all of the pressure on it.....
The rx-1 has an aluminum barrel there instead, they swapped to the plastic half moon on rx3 and rx4 I believe. I did a quick search and seems it’s a fairly common problem with these bows.

You mentioned that it is an 80lb bow.......I'm not sure archery manufacturers really test stuff enough at the extremes to see how things hold up. Shooting at 75+ pounds and 32 1/2"+ draw I've had all kinds of things happen over the years that manufacturers reply to as "we've never seen anything like that before". Just be glad that it wasn't a catastrophic failure of some kind.
Yea, all my 80lb bows have little quirks. I always buy winners choice strings for them and they seem to have less issues with strings stretching over time. My Nitrum is at 84 and the riser bends so much that my sight on my hogg father is set to the left as far as it can go. It's crazy. I always wondered why my sights were a little to the left. Then I finally figured out it was because my riser was literally flexing. Cam Hanes has the same issue since he shoots the 90 pound hoyt. My Mathews bows don't flex nearly as bad since their risers are stiffer and much stronger than the hoyt risers. They are just slightly left of center. Not bad since the are set to 77 pounds. Mathews bows have amazing risers and are really strong.

ncavi8tor

WKR
I have an extra Splitter at the house if you can't get one. I can send it to you when I get home from work next week. Let me know. No charge.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OP
Turkeygetpwnd38

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I have an extra Splitter at the house if you can't get one. I can send it to you when I get home from work next week. Let me know. No charge.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Really appreciate that offer man, would have took you up on it at the time