String jumping....

Exactly why I switched to Flex Fletch silent knights, these Blazers make way too much noise at 300fps
That’s my goal this year is to build a quiet arrow.

ive got fusion q2i in a 4 fletch and it’s pretty quiet by itself, I hate blazers for that reason.

I think the broadhead was the real culprit, caught the wind just right and made a whistle that was not so obnoxious when I practiced with them.

That’s my goal this year is to build a quiet arrow.

ive got fusion q2i in a 4 fletch and it’s pretty quiet by itself, I hate blazers for that reason.

I think the broadhead was the real culprit, caught the wind just right and made a whistle that was not so obnoxious when I practiced with them.
Heavier arrow should help too right? I use Maxima SD and Slick trick 100s. Seems to work really well with those FFSK 3inch x 3

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
I think the factors involved with the animals awareness make the biggest difference.

Take a deer that made you before the shot...... he is standing there alert staring at you. That deer is guaranteed to move on the shot.

In that^ case, I think the sound of your bow and the point that G dog made about visual movement either by your movements or by the arrow gets them moving QUICKLY.

On the other hand a totally unaware deer that’s feeding or walking slowly by reacts slower..... If at all.

——-

JNDEER

WKR
Hunt axis in hawaii if you want to see a deer jump a string before you even know the bow released the arrow.

A person down range at 30 yards will not hear a normal sounding modern compound bow.

a person down range at 30 yards will hear the arrow.

I have spent all summer and around $600 or so testing arrows, vanes, and broadhead configurations to find the most quietest down range sounding arrow to the human ear.

if anyone really thinks they hear a bow go off over an arrow going by the bow is out of normal time or has never stood down range .

***I do not suggest or recommend standing down range of someone shooting and if you do so please do it at your own risk ****

TheGDog

WKR
Whatever those multitudes of Olympic-style recurve dudes shoot over at El Dorado in Long Beach. Those damn things are noisy as heck! They make ya nervy just going to fetch your own darn arrows outta the bale.

Oh yes. Oneida Screaming Eagle or AeroForce with an overdraw shooting a 2217 cut at 24'' going
I’m Very familiar with animals jumping the string.

I used to shoot for Onieda back in The late 80s and early 90s. The sharp slap from those Oneidas made them string jumping machines. I know for a fact that bow noise was the main cause of string jumping with those bows.
Of course the faster we would try to make them with lighter arrows, the louder it became.

Sound travels at 1127 ft./s at sea level..... so the animal does hear whatever noise your archery set up makes before it gets there.

I have my recurve pretty quiet and shooting a fairly heavy Arrow but in the case of those Coues deer it was a long enough shot so they had time to react.

A big factor is hard hunted animals. It could be that on the TV show I referenced those could be hard hunted whitetails which makes them even jumpier than they already are.

Anyone that has hunted Coues dear or Axis deer knows those animals are in a whole different category of jumpy.

Oh yes. Oneida Screaming Eagle or AeroForce at 80# with an overdraw shooting a 2217 cut at 24'' going a blistering 284fps. Sounds like a 20g going off. Hilariously both of my aeroforce X80's and my black eagle have been my quietest bows after I tinkered with cat whiskers, felt on the limbs and 12gpi. But then you're essentially shooting a cracked out recurve with let off.

Hunt axis in hawaii if you want to see a deer jump a string before you even know the bow released the arrow.

A person down range at 30 yards will not hear a normal sounding modern compound bow.

I have spent all summer and around $600 or so testing arrows, vanes, and broadhead configurations to find the most quietest down range sounding arrow to the human ear.

if anyone really thinks they hear a bow go off over an arrow going by the bow is out of normal time or has never stood down range .

***I do not suggest or recommend standing down range of someone shooting and if you do so please do it at your own risk ****
Please post or if you would prefer PM me with any result/conclusions you have determined. I am very interested in your findings and also believe that the noise of the arrow/broadhead/fletcing produce is both very important and overlooked. Thanks in advanced!

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
I know some Coues deer ...and some Axis deer that would disagree with your assessment- Grin

In a few of those cases...it was most definitely the bow noise that got them moving.

____

N2TRKYS

WKR

According to my research, I disagree with you on the bow at 30 yards statement.

And by research, I mean my phone propped up against my target at 30 yards recording audio. 😂

Last edited:

JNDEER

WKR
Please post or if you would prefer PM me with any result/conclusions you have determined. I am very interested in your findings and also believe that the noise of the arrow/broadhead/fletcing produce is both very important and overlooked. Thanks in advanced!
Will send a pm- don’t want to hijack the thread.

We need to settle this.

Looking for volunteers.

I'll provide the stand and I'll video.
Who would like to shoot at a deer with no arrow?
There is a YouTube video that a guy from Hawaii did where he basically did just that with Axis deer. He had a bunch of trouble with Axis jumping the string and if I recall his shots were around 40 yards. He had some Axis at about that range and shot his bow but not at them and they looked at him but did not move. He has follow up videos trying to find the quietest fletching/broadhead combo.

JNDEER

WKR
According to my research, I disagree with you on the bow at 30 yards statement.
I know some Coues deer ...and some Axis deer that would disagree with your assessment- Grin

In a few of those cases...it was most definitely the bow noise that got them moving.

____

I suppose my statement should have read with the 3 bows I tested (mine, cousins and brothers) With a little 20 yard tinkering using a decibel meter app on my phone and making some movements with the limb dampener and string dampeners.... all three bows were NOT heard at 30 yards.
Sure- you get an out of tune bow or loud rest, sight, quiver or noisy arrows in the quiver... ya- you will hear it at 30 yards. Guess I should have stated the obvious in that a person would need to do a little work to keep the bow quiet as well- AND when one does that the arrow is heard over the bow.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I suppose my statement should have read with the 3 bows I tested (mine, cousins and brothers) With a little 20 yard tinkering using a decibel meter app on my phone and making some movements with the limb dampener and string dampeners.... all three bows were NOT heard at 30 yards.
Sure- you get an out of tune bow or loud rest, sight, quiver or noisy arrows in the quiver... ya- you will hear it at 30 yards. Guess I should have stated the obvious in that a person would need to do a little work to keep the bow quiet as well- AND when one does that the arrow is heard over the bow.

I was editing my post when you copied it. Lol

My phone propped against my target at 30 yards picked up my shot.

My bow is well tuned and I don’t shoot with my quiver on my bow.

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
I'm curious about vane noise now, I have $100 worth of AAE hybrid 26s in my cart..

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't an animal with its neck up (not feeding) supposed to not be able drop as much?

JNDEER

WKR
I was editing my post when you copied it. Lol

My phone propped against my target at 30 yards picked up my shot.

My bow is well tuned and I don’t shoot with my quiver on my bow.
I did the phone test with an app and my camera. Ultimately the sound that gets picked up is not what I hear when someone shoots an arrow by my head.

**again I do not condone doing this testing as it is dangerous and if you do so do jt

N2TRKYS

WKR
I did the phone test with an app and my camera. Ultimately the sound that gets picked up is not what I hear when someone shoots an arrow by my head.

**again I do not condone doing this testing as it is dangerous and if you do so do jt

I can hear the bow going off, then right before the arrow hits you hear the arrow. I didn’t use an app. I just recorded on video.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Here are a few videos, It’s pretty definitive that the animals hear the bow. There might be Cases on very long shots where they hear the arrow but in most cases I think it’s the bow.

These deer are reacting to the bow

Last edited: