String question for you all on my V3X

Luked

WKR
Bought my V3X 33 last year in August right before season started. Shot the heck out of the thing and really like it. Spent quite a bit of time tuning it etc.
I have heard a lot say that the factory strings on the Mathews bows arent the best. I havent had a lick of trouble out of mine yet.
I had thought about getting a better set like from GAS bowstrings but man I hate to think of having to go through the tuning all over again just because it is shooting so well now.
What are your alls thoughts on strings and when to replace them etc.

Lytro

WKR
I havent had a lick of trouble out of mine yet.
I think you answered your own question. Shoot it and maintain it until you experience concerning wear. Replacing a new string on a $1,300 bow seems a little silly to me.

People like to tinker and aftermarket manufacturers like to sell products.

Really depends on how much you shoot. I would replace, a set of strings for me generally doesn’t last much longer than a year and wouldn’t want issues half way through season. Now if you don’t shoot a ton and only do 1-2 hunts, you’re probably fine.
Bonus is if you get new strings keep the current as a back up set. If you don’t have a back up bow it’s wise to have a back up set of strings.

The factory zebra hunting strings are made of BCY 8125 material. Not a bad material, but it doesn't handle heat very well.

Don't store your bow in an area that gets hot, like a vehicle, outdoor shed, or possibly a garage and you should be OK.

When you do go to put new strings on, I'd use straight 452x.

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
If it is still performing well and doesn't have a lot of fuzz showing up, serving separation, loss of peak poundage, timing change, or peep rotation, then it sure sounds like it is still a good string to me.

Jethro

WKR
Even when I used to “shoot the heck out of it”, I’d go 2 seasons on a set if I wasn’t experiencing any problems. When I shot a Mathews, which is now 10-20 years ago, I used the zebra and had no issues. On my Hoyt now is Catfish Custom and they’ve been excellent.

ncavi8tor

WKR
The Zebras on my V3X29 are holding up very well and I'm about to start my second hunting season with them. I do have a set of ABB Platinums on standby as well as two backup bows just in case!

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Guys at my local archery shop replace the factory zebra strings immediately.

I also shoot a lot and averaged a year with zebra strings. Went through three sets in three years. Just replaced with custom strings and had to sight in my bow again, and replace my sight tapes. IMO zebra strings are not worth the money.

I may be the exception, but I won’t be using zebra strings anymore.

I’ve had issues with peep twist on factory Zebra strings on a V3X and Traverse. But if you’re not having issues, no need to replace.

feanor

WKR
I’m using zebras still and going on my second hunt in the fall. I’ll replace the d loop and serving soon, but not the strings. Zebras are fine. People just looking for excuses to drop money on colorful threads.

Zac

WKR
When you are ready for a new set twist up your old one to spec. Make sure your ATA is good and the cables are running through the timing holes. Then take it off paper clip and send it to your string maker. I find custom strings for Mathews are always long and end up twisting the crap out of them. I've used all the big companies, as well as some of the small ones.

Every Mathews I’ve ever owned had new string on it before being set up. I’m not a fan of gas string at all. Try JBK, mad goat or even threadz.

I feel like the answer is more nuanced then " this brand sucks and this one is better."
To me:

The factory (don't carer about with brand either) strings are fine, if they can still:
1) Hold all the bow in spec, brace, poundage, ATA, timing ect.
2) No peep twist
3) No string separation
4) No fuzz

I have shot mathews for years and I can get 2 years pretty consistently, other times 1, all depending on how much I shoot and what happens on my hunts. I had property for awhile and shot daily in the summer and the winter and burned a set of strings in just over a year. If it rains a lot, is overly cold or hot, has high humidity, ect. it will wear the string at different rates from my experience. This is independent of brand btw. Weather matters, so does dust, and the oils from your hands, over waxing can be a negative. Every brand will wear, some brands wear less then others at different rates due to materials. I don't change if 1,2,3,4 above are working, so I don't change because "it's been a year." So I shoot the factory strings until they become out of tune or damaged and then move on. I have tried Winners Choice (before being sold to Outdoor group and going stock on Elite bows, I have no idea their quality now), Sidehill Strings, and I just tried GAS. I have family that like 60x and use them on 2 different bows.

I had a bowtech with stock strings that nearly came apart on me at under 1 year with a lot separation around the cam, so again it isn't a brand thing to me.

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re pinching Pennie’s and trying not to spend a lot then keep them (if you’re hitting the points billysmals mentioned above.) But if you can afford to replace them then do it and keep the old ones as a back up. Never know when you will accidentally cut one.

Wapiti_87

FNG
Bought my V3X last may and was fighting a peep twist and stretch through hunting season. Wasn’t critical but kind of annoying to have to drop by the shop to have the strings twisted occasionally (I don’t have a press).

Replaced the zebras with Vapor Trails and love them, very little stretch and no peep twist after getting dialed this spring. And yea, the twisted colors are particularly cool

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
If your bow is shooting well, holding tune, and you aren’t getting peep twist, then I’d just keep using what you have until you start to see those things.

Zebra strings aren’t necessarily bad, I’ve just found that they are inconsistent and it’s somewhat of a crap shoot as to how the set on your bow are going to be. I personally replace the stock Zebras right off the bat and keep them as backups, but I’m weird and it’s not really necessary.