Strong game taste in Elk

Good one on be careful of "taint"ing the meat... Shoulda seen that coming after I lobbed that one out there.

I’ve used a second knife on antelope. Any fur touching that meat can spoil it with an antelope. I don’t see it hurting with other animals. As little contact between the meat and fur as possible can’t hurt.

Operator

Lil-Rokslider
It's probably due to the way the animal was stressed. quick clean kill, proper handling, and then 7-10 days of ice aging produces superb
It's probably due to the way the animal was stressed. quick clean kill, proper handling, and then 7-10 days of ice aging produces superb meat with little wild/gamy flavor. check this out: https://backcountryhunting.libsyn.c...re-prep-and-grilling-ultimately-tasty-venison

meat with little wild/gamy flavor. check this out: https://backcountryhunting.libsyn.c...re-prep-and-grilling-ultimately-tasty-venison
I have been de-boning my whitetail deer and layering the meat in ice in a cooler with a drain like the gentleman on the backcountryhunting site does for 5 years now. It does work, my wife even eats the roasts and steaks now and the ribs I grilled a month ago were fantastic.

Wrench

WKR
My method is pretty simple.

Kill it.

Throw out the chit that doesn't make a steak as soon as possible.

Skin it.

Hang it.

Watch it hang.

Watch it hang some more.

Keep watching it hang.

Cut it and wrap it.

Freeze it.

Eat it.

No voodoo, no special knives, rituals or chemicals. Lots of samples of success, none of failure so far.

If you don't mind a little extra effort, try pressure canning some. Put about a 1/2 tsp per pint jar of your favorite seasoning if you want

I shot an elk a few years ago that died a long and stressful death and then my meat care was not good and it tasted pretty gamey. I watched a group of hunters on private shoot about 50 rounds into a moving herd of elk at like 800 yards at 8am. Two and a half hour later I found an injured cow on limping around on the adjacent private. Unfortunately I did not get an ideal shot opportunity - frontal shot at an extended range and I did not have a good rest, but the elk was feet from going back onto private and it appeared to be injured badly. Well, the elk went onto private. So, I found the land owner and he allowed me to look for the elk, without my gun. I found the elk at 2:30 and it was still alive, but barely. So, I went back to the landowner and got permission to take my gun in to finish the cow. I killed it at like 4:30. The landowner didn't want me on his land into the night, so he loaded it up into a UTV and dumped it in the back of my truck after I gutted it. My truck bed was where had been sleeping, so having no place sleep, I drove home - like 4 hours. It was cold, but still. . . By the time I had it quartered and hung, it was like 2am. Not ideal to say the least.

Also, I called the warden on the guys that were shooting into the herd. As it turned out, 4 guys were hunting on private with 3 landowner tags they had purchased. They killed 4 elk, wounded 3 elk that we located, and one hunter trespassed on another ranch to retrieve a dead elk.
Sounds like a shitty situation and you did the best you could.

Punkur67

FNG
I use ice water bath then follow up with ice and milk. I use this on dove and anything with a heavy game taste

Wrench

WKR
I'm hoping you mean make a scrap pile for burger and not throw out anything that doesn't make a steak
Sorry, figure of speech. I guess if we are gonna talk basics, I need to be more basic.

I accept responsibility.

I had a rancid deer. Literally stunk from high heell. Had to trash it. I think the butcher left it outside too long.
My Cow Moose wasn't the best meat. I was disappointed to say the least. I tried olive oil, but not milk. I'll try milk next time.

My #1 tip for game meat is always to let it thaw in the fridge for a few days. Put it on a paper towel and change the towel every day or so. Soaks up the myoglobin that can have some of that off taste.

I notice that when I thaw in advance it makes a huge difference in my cooking.

Paul83687

FNG
Never tried the milk trick before, hope I don't have to use it but if I get that gamey taste I will remember this post!