Strong thread for use on pack

Idahomnts

Lil-Rokslider
What kind thread would you use for sewing straps on a pack for waistbelts and shoulder straps , weight not an issue , but strength is , heavy duty somethin

Gr8bawana

WKR
I had to replace a buckle on my pack waistbelt so I just bought a new buckle and took it to the boot repair guy and he sewed it in with heavy duty thread used on boot soles in about 2 minutes. For $5 bucks it was probably less than bying my own thread and needle.

GKPrice

Banned
polyester thread ... I don't want to get my feet wet by walking out to the sewing room to get numbers right now but I just bought spools of a heavier gauge that flows through my machine just fine and it's tougher by far ... fishing line may or may not work well for you but it's made for FISHING, so I'll not make a judgement - You want 100% polyester thread
American & Efird llc - Sunstop Nwck - BT 138 bonded - uv - so - jt - is what's threaded in my machine, all I routinely sew are packs and bedrolls

Last edited:

LBFowler

WKR
Industry standard is #69 bonded nylon. Some use larger thread, but I don't see much point. #69 (also called tex 70) is usually about the largest thread that will fit through a home machine, and most of the generic "upholstery thread" you'll find in fabric stores is close to #69. I highly recommend just going on ebay and buying a 16oz cone in a nice neutral color. Much cheaper that way and you will never run out of thread.

If you use thread that is appreciably stronger then the fabric itself it can start to cut the fabric. I would recommend against fishing line.